Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Did Elon Musk Lose Secret U.S Government Satellite?

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,818
    Amen (Given)
    9044
    Amen (Received)
    20889

    Did Elon Musk Lose Secret U.S Government Satellite?

    Did Elon Musk Lose Secret U.S Government Satellite?

    Updated | Elon Musk’s SpaceX finally launched its mysterious Zuma satellite on Sunday from Cape Canaveral, Florida. To viewers of the live stream, the launch seemed like a success. The Falcon 9 rocket carrying Zuma blasted off and appeared to shed “stage one,” as planned.

    However, cameras did not follow stage two of the rocket, and reports suggest Zuma may not have reached its final orbit.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  2. #2
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,818
    Amen (Given)
    9044
    Amen (Received)
    20889
    Preliminary reports seem to indicate that Northrop Grumman not only built the satellite, but the adaptive technology that would have allowed separation.... NYT

    Wouldn’t that be SpaceX’s fault?

    Not necessarily. According to an article in Wired last November, Northrop Grumman not only built Zuma but also provided the part that connected the satellite to the rocket known as the payload adapter. For most launches, SpaceX provides the payload adapter.

    On Tuesday morning, SpaceX released a statement from Gwynne Shotwell, the company president, which emphatically stated that the company saw nothing that indicated SpaceX was at fault:

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  3. #3
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sagittarius Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    863
    Amen (Given)
    152
    Amen (Received)
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did Elon Musk Lose Secret U.S Government Satellite?

    Updated | Elon Musk’s SpaceX finally launched its mysterious Zuma satellite on Sunday from Cape Canaveral, Florida. To viewers of the live stream, the launch seemed like a success. The Falcon 9 rocket carrying Zuma blasted off and appeared to shed “stage one,” as planned.

    However, cameras did not follow stage two of the rocket, and reports suggest Zuma may not have reached its final orbit.
    Or maybe that WAS the plan!

  4. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,841
    Amen (Given)
    3695
    Amen (Received)
    18606
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Or maybe that WAS the plan!
    yeah. What better way to put a spy sat in orbit than to make everyone think it blew up.

  5. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
  6. #5
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,399
    Amen (Given)
    847
    Amen (Received)
    2480
    I'll try to find the link but Northrop-Grumman did say that the rocket had performed nominally, which makes sense since its upper stage only fell down after a couple of orbits. So it got the cargo up there, and then NG decided to cancel the mission.

  7. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,818
    Amen (Given)
    9044
    Amen (Received)
    20889
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'll try to find the link but Northrop-Grumman did say that the rocket had performed nominally, which makes sense since its upper stage only fell down after a couple of orbits. So it got the cargo up there, and then NG decided to cancel the mission.
    Interesting - I couldn't find anything like that.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  8. #7
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,399
    Amen (Given)
    847
    Amen (Received)
    2480
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Interesting - I couldn't find anything like that.
    Alas I mistook a statement from SpaceX about it for NG's. I don't think we'll be seeing NG make any statement about it if the failure was their fault. They have a privilige of secrecy to shroud embarrasments like that. They haven't contradicted SpaceX, and nothing, apparently, has happened that would cause them to further delay the Falcon Heavy launch at the end of this month.

    So it looks like it was NG's fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceX
    "For clarity: after review of all data to date, Falcon 9 did everything correctly on Sunday night," Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO of SpaceX, in a statement sent to CNBC. "If we or others find otherwise based on further review, we will report it immediately. Information published that is contrary to this statement is categorically false. Due to the classified nature of the payload, no further comment is possible."
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/high...ex-launch.html

  9. #8
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,818
    Amen (Given)
    9044
    Amen (Received)
    20889
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Alas I mistook a statement from SpaceX about it for NG's. I don't think we'll be seeing NG make any statement about it if the failure was their fault. They have a privilige of secrecy to shroud embarrasments like that. They haven't contradicted SpaceX, and nothing, apparently, has happened that would cause them to further delay the Falcon Heavy launch at the end of this month.

    So it looks like it was NG's fault.


    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/high...ex-launch.html
    OK, that fits with what I've found so far.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •