Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Elon Musk Lose Secret U.S Government Satellite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Elon Musk Lose Secret U.S Government Satellite?

Updated | Elon Musk’s SpaceX finally launched its mysterious Zuma satellite on Sunday from Cape Canaveral, Florida. To viewers of the live stream, the launch seemed like a success. The Falcon 9 rocket carrying Zuma blasted off and appeared to shed “stage one,” as planned.

However, cameras did not follow stage two of the rocket, and reports suggest Zuma may not have reached its final orbit.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Preliminary reports seem to indicate that Northrop Grumman not only built the satellite, but the adaptive technology that would have allowed separation.... NYT

Wouldn’t that be SpaceX’s fault?

Not necessarily. According to an article in Wired last November, Northrop Grumman not only built Zuma but also provided the part that connected the satellite to the rocket known as the payload adapter. For most launches, SpaceX provides the payload adapter.

On Tuesday morning, SpaceX released a statement from Gwynne Shotwell, the company president, which emphatically stated that the company saw nothing that indicated SpaceX was at fault:
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Updated | Elon Musk’s SpaceX finally launched its mysterious Zuma satellite on Sunday from Cape Canaveral, Florida. To viewers of the live stream, the launch seemed like a success. The Falcon 9 rocket carrying Zuma blasted off and appeared to shed “stage one,” as planned.

However, cameras did not follow stage two of the rocket, and reports suggest Zuma may not have reached its final orbit.
      Or maybe that WAS the plan!
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        Or maybe that WAS the plan!
        yeah. What better way to put a spy sat in orbit than to make everyone think it blew up.

Comment

I'll try to find the link but Northrop-Grumman did say that the rocket had performed nominally, which makes sense since its upper stage only fell down after a couple of orbits. So it got the cargo up there, and then NG decided to cancel the mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I'll try to find the link but Northrop-Grumman did say that the rocket had performed nominally, which makes sense since its upper stage only fell down after a couple of orbits. So it got the cargo up there, and then NG decided to cancel the mission.
            Interesting - I couldn't find anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Interesting - I couldn't find anything like that.
              Alas I mistook a statement from SpaceX about it for NG's. I don't think we'll be seeing NG make any statement about it if the failure was their fault. They have a privilige of secrecy to shroud embarrasments like that. They haven't contradicted SpaceX, and nothing, apparently, has happened that would cause them to further delay the Falcon Heavy launch at the end of this month.

So it looks like it was NG's fault.

Originally posted by SpaceX
              "For clarity: after review of all data to date, Falcon 9 did everything correctly on Sunday night," Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO of SpaceX, in a statement sent to CNBC. "If we or others find otherwise based on further review, we will report it immediately. Information published that is contrary to this statement is categorically false. Due to the classified nature of the payload, no further comment is possible."
              https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/high...ex-launch.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Alas I mistook a statement from SpaceX about it for NG's. I don't think we'll be seeing NG make any statement about it if the failure was their fault. They have a privilige of secrecy to shroud embarrasments like that. They haven't contradicted SpaceX, and nothing, apparently, has happened that would cause them to further delay the Falcon Heavy launch at the end of this month.

So it looks like it was NG's fault.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/high...ex-launch.html
                OK, that fits with what I've found so far.

Comment