Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

What Is Your Pastor's Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Your Pastor's Job?

How are we to reach the lost?

The link can be found here.

-----

What is your pastor supposed to do? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Yesterday, I wrote about how our churches are not equipping us. Someone replied at a place where I posted it saying an hour a week on Sunday is not enough. This is absolutely true. Even if we added in Sunday school and Sunday evening and Wednesday evening services, it still can't compare to the media onslaught most of us get every day.

As I reflected on this, I thought of something else that is often not mentioned. Evangelism is not the pastor's job per se. Now all of us are meant to be evangelists to an extent, but what I mean is that we often have an odd view of how to get people to come to Christ.*

We go out and we meet a neighbor who is an unbeliever. What do we think the plan is? Oh! Well, you invite them to church and then when in church the pastor gives a message and the person is convicted and they repent and come to Jesus. This can happen, but this is not the way it really is supposed to happen.

It sounds like a stretch to some, but really, the person who is supposed to bring that person to Jesus is you. A pastor should certainly when giving a message keep in mind there could be unbelievers in the audience and be willing to offer them the chance to come to Christ, but that is not his main role. His main role is indeed to equip the saints further.*

Our methodology today often absolves us of any responsibility. We get them to church and then the pastor takes over. Your pastor, no matter how good he is, cannot be Superman. He cannot do everything. He has his limitations on him as well.*

Consider it as a coach. A coach wants players to be able to make the decisions as if he wasn't even there. Sure, a player can go to a coach for a strategy if he needs one, but a coach will not be supportive of a player who goes to him for everything that he is thinking about. The player needs to learn how to play as much as possible without the coach.

This means that when you do evangelism, you might actually have to learn how to answer questions yourself. You might have to learn how to dialogue yourself. You might actually have to do some bizarre things. This could include such things as reading the Bible on your own, praying on your own, reading devotional literature or studying theology, apologetics, church history, or anything else on your own.*

In other words, your Christianity might require some work on your part.

"But I don't have time!" I hear as you sit down to watch the rerun of that show you've seen 27 times so far. I hear it as you sit down to follow your favorite sports franchise that you can't seem to live without. I hear it as you do whatever is that you're doing during the day.

The problem is that if something is truly important to you, you will make the time for it somehow. If your Christianity is important to you, you will make the time for it. If it isn't, you won't. You will find some excuse and go back to what is really important to you.

Your pastor should help you along the way, but that's not what he's there. He's there to equip and encourage, but like a teacher, he's also there to help you so that you won't need help eventually. Hopefully, at that point, he will be like a wise mentor that you come to only periodically.*

When the church is producing people who are ultimately teachers of the Gospel themselves and evangelists themselves, then the work is being done. When it is just producing people who think their only job is to bring unbelievers to the pastor, it is not, at least on that front. It is my hopes we will see more and more equipped churches where the huge majority is truly growing in Christ.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Very good, Nick.

It hasn't happened at this Church, but, on a somewhat comical (I suppose) note, there were times that, just before Sunday Morning service begins, somebody would come up to me and say, "Pastor, the toilet in the ladies' bathroom is overflowing".

There's "the pastor's job", and there's what everybody else thinks he should be doing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On a more serious note, I have often said (but not recently ) that our Church should be the place where they bring their friends whom they've won to Christ during the week, so they can meet their new family.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Good point. Most of the more together churches I've been to, the pastor essentially coordinates things so that, though his workload is still ridiculous, he's able to encourage paid staff, and volunteers to take care of week to week minutiae that he shouldn't have to bother with. While most pastors I know directly take care of things like counseling, weddings/funerals, and conducting some classes outside of their Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday services, they have responsible people who take care of praise and worship, further counseling, more classes, finances, ushering, camera/sound technicians, hospital visitations, new visitor follow-up calls, day care, event planning, janitorial services, and the like. I think for a lot of people, church really is something that is just a Sunday morning thing and that's it, and while not everyone has the time or ability to volunteer, part of being a church is helping where and when you can.

That said, while I feel more people should have a passion about things like church history, theology, and apologetics, the sad truth is that most people don't have any interest in that sort of stuff at all. I don't know if that's a pulpit thing or what. I know most people find that sort of stuff heady, and I think it makes them recall boring lectures in US history in school, and so they want to avoid it at all costs. But I think that people can still be beneficial evangelists even if that isn't their primary interest. Some of the greatest evangelists I know focus on just loving those they invite to church, praying with them, encouraging them, and helping them find answers to their questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Very good, Nick.

It hasn't happened at this Church, but, on a somewhat comical (I suppose) note, there were times that, just before Sunday Morning service begins, somebody would come up to me and say, "Pastor, the toilet in the ladies' bathroom is overflowing".

There's "the pastor's job", and there's what everybody else thinks he should be doing.
          That's why the church decided to appoint deacons, way back when.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            That's why the church decided to appoint deacons, way back when.
            Funny you should mention that, because when we ordain deacons, one of the "tools" they get is a toilet plunger.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Funny you should mention that, because when we ordain deacons, one of the "tools" they get is a toilet plunger.
              Please don't set yourself up like that in the future. Do you have any idea just how much effort it took to restrain myself from saying what I wanted to say?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Please don't set yourself up like that in the future. Do you have any idea just how much effort it took to restrain myself from saying what I wanted to say?
                So what did you want to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  So what did you want to say?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm guessing it wasn't TWeb friendly then.

Comment

I was sure I had given you a loophole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        I'm guessing it wasn't TWeb friendly then.
                        Just not giving in to temptation.

Comment

You know you want to....

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                            You know you want to....
                            It would hardly be a temptation otherwise

And as if we needed more evidence that bronies are of da debil: Sparkle, get thee behind me!

Comment

We have cookies

Comment