Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Should I Get a Flu Shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Get a Flu Shot?

Or, did you, are you, will you.... get a flu shot.

I've been talking to some doctors lately on my hospital rounds, and it's a mixed bag.

One, in particular, told me
    • the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' comprised of the 3 strains they suspect will be problematic from over 300 possible strains. So you have about a 1 in 100 chance of having the "right" vaccine (or something like that)
    • it takes 2 weeks for your body to develop the antibodies from the flu shot, and lasts for about 3 months - so you have to encounter the flu in that time window
    • the flu vaccine is least effective among infants, children and the elderly - those at greatest risk - and most effective among young healthy individuals
    • there are apparently studies (Hugh Fudenberg, MD - I'll find and link them if somebody else doesn't) indicating that a person who has had 5 flu shots is 10 more likely to develop Alzheimer's
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I heard one of the doctors on a radio show mention that last point. I think more specifically it was about people who got 5 flu shots or more.

The other thing on this was that so many of the vaccines are not tested for efficacy. It seems that the pharmaceutical companies would just be following some 'technique' of generating vaccines and then putting them out to the public.

Also, the polio vaccine was created at the time polio was decreasing anyhow so that we don't have statistics to show that such vaccine has contributed to the decline.

I suppose a few vaccines are effective but I would tend to minimalize exposure to the array of vaccines.

Comment

why would a flu shot cause alzheimers?

Fudenberg had his medical license yanked in 1995 so...

https://www.casewatch.org/board/med/...995order.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

• there are apparently studies (Hugh Fudenberg, MD - I'll find and link them if somebody else doesn't) indicating that a person who has had 5 flu shots is 10 more likely to develop Alzheimer's
        I believe the claim was that it could cause autism not Alzheimer's and the claim has been completely debunked.

That said, I probably won't get one this year since the flu going around wasn't the one anticipated and the vaccine will only offer limited protection.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I got a flu shot back in October. I get them free as part of the evil healthcare insurance we Americans are forced to live with while the rest of the world has glorious socialized healthcare. How dare they give me free flu shots? They are trying to give me Alzhiemer's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            I heard one of the doctors on a radio show mention that last point. I think more specifically it was about people who got 5 flu shots or more.

The other thing on this was that so many of the vaccines are not tested for efficacy. It seems that the pharmaceutical companies would just be following some 'technique' of generating vaccines and then putting them out to the public.

Also, the polio vaccine was created at the time polio was decreasing anyhow so that we don't have statistics to show that such vaccine has contributed to the decline.

I suppose a few vaccines are effective but I would tend to minimalize exposure to the array of vaccines.
            The polio vaccine was absolutely helpful. Polio is still around today, in places where they don't vaccinate. Smallpox is completely gone (except for some laboratory samples) due to vaccination. I am quite certain that vaccines are not released for sale without being tested first. It is very, very expensive to get something like that approved for use. The flu shot is inherently different because each strain requires a different vaccination, and there are so many strains.

As for the OP: I never get a flu shot; haven't had the flu in years. IIRC the efficacy for those are around 50-60% instead of 1 in 100, because they're fairly good at predicting which strains will be problematic. Infants, children, and the elderly have weaker immune systems than young healthy adults, so they're more likely to catch (and suffer more adversely from) the flu; while it may not be quite as effective among them, they're the ones who need it most, and are most likely to benefit from it.

My $0.02
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I got a flu shot back in October. I get them free as part of the evil healthcare insurance we Americans are forced to live with while the rest of the world has glorious socialized healthcare. How dare they give me free flu shots? They are trying to give me Alzhiemer's!!!
              My company offered free flu shots last year -- but only to employees who got their health insurance through them. I got my insurance through them this past autumn but this year they aren't offering free flu shots.

I'm sure it's some dark, insidious Canuckistani plot.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Mr. mossy and I never got flu shots until he had his heart surgery in 2013. It was recommended that we both get one that year as he was more susceptible. MelMak has had one every year they've offered them since he started working (about 20 years ago), because he works with the public all the time.

We have continued to get the shot every October. I think the first year I had to pay for mine, as I wasn't 65 yet (i'm still not! ), and he got his for free because he was over 65.

But the shot has been offered freely to all for the subsequent years. Available at doctor's offices, health clinics and pharmacies. We are careful to keep our hands clean after being out in public* and none of us has had flu for quite a number of years, even before we starting getting the shots. So I don't know if the flu shot helps or not.

*I wash my hands constantly. If I open the front door to grab the mail out of the mailbox I have to wash my hands. If I go for a walk and the only thing I've touched is my own house door handle and my cane I have to wash my hands.

Got horrible dry hands. But no flu!#

#If I get flu now I won't know the reason why.
                Last edited by mossrose; 01-10-2018, 03:09 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I just heard that the best prevention for the flu is dark chocolate!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just heard that the best prevention for the flu is dark chocolate!
                    THAT'S why I haven't been flu-y for so long!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

#If I get flu now I won't know the reason why.
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I'm sure it's some dark, insidious Canuckistani plot.
                      'nuff said.

Comment

I have had flu shots several of the past years, but not all. I never got the flu during any year, shot or not.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'd be interested in evidence on Alzheimer's. This study suggests that immunizations might somewhat decrease the risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC81665/

Comment

Or, did you, are you, will you.... get a flu shot.

I've been talking to some doctors lately on my hospital rounds, and it's a mixed bag.
                            Teh awesomeness is contagious.
                            the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' comprised of the 3 strains they suspect will be problematic from over 300 possible strains. So you have about a 1 in 100 chance of having the "right" vaccine (or something like that)

Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages? Not all strains are equally likely.
                            it takes 2 weeks for your body to develop the antibodies from the flu shot, and lasts for about 3 months - so you have to encounter the flu in that time window

They call it "flu season." And you have to get another shot every year, because this year's likeliest strains are not next year's likeliest strains.
                            the flu vaccine is least effective among infants, children and the elderly - those at greatest risk - and most effective among young healthy individuals

Comparing incidence rates between those most and least susceptible doesn't say anything at all about effectiveness among the most susceptible. Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages?
                            there are apparently studies (Hugh Fudenberg, MD - I'll find and link them if somebody else doesn't) indicating that a person who has had 5 flu shots is 10 more likely to develop Alzheimer's

I read that study, but that's not the worst of it: flu shots also lead to dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              Teh awesomeness is contagious.
                              the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' comprised of the 3 strains they suspect will be problematic from over 300 possible strains. So you have about a 1 in 100 chance of having the "right" vaccine (or something like that)

Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages? Not all strains are equally likely.
                              it takes 2 weeks for your body to develop the antibodies from the flu shot, and lasts for about 3 months - so you have to encounter the flu in that time window

They call it "flu season." And you have to get another shot every year, because this year's likeliest strains are not next year's likeliest strains.
                              the flu vaccine is least effective among infants, children and the elderly - those at greatest risk - and most effective among young healthy individuals

Comparing incidence rates between those most and least susceptible doesn't say anything at all about effectiveness among the most susceptible. Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages?
                              there are apparently studies (Hugh Fudenberg, MD - I'll find and link them if somebody else doesn't) indicating that a person who has had 5 flu shots is 10 more likely to develop Alzheimer's

I read that study, but that's not the worst of it: flu shots also lead to dancing.
                              I'm not arguing either side - I'm just asking for input - I'm thinking about getting the flu shot and pneumonia vaccine tomorrow.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X