Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Get a Flu Shot?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post

#If I get flu now I won't know the reason why.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post

I'm sure it's some dark, insidious Canuckistani plot.
    'nuff said.

I'm always still in trouble again

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have had flu shots several of the past years, but not all. I never got the flu during any year, shot or not.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian (PCUSA)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'd be interested in evidence on Alzheimer's. This study suggests that immunizations might somewhat decrease the risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC81665/

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Taoist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Or, did you, are you, will you.... get a flu shot.

I've been talking to some doctors lately on my hospital rounds, and it's a mixed bag.
    Teh awesomeness is contagious.

the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' comprised of the 3 strains they suspect will be problematic from over 300 possible strains. So you have about a 1 in 100 chance of having the "right" vaccine (or something like that)

Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages? Not all strains are equally likely.

it takes 2 weeks for your body to develop the antibodies from the flu shot, and lasts for about 3 months - so you have to encounter the flu in that time window

They call it "flu season." And you have to get another shot every year, because this year's likeliest strains are not next year's likeliest strains.

the flu vaccine is least effective among infants, children and the elderly - those at greatest risk - and most effective among young healthy individuals

Comparing incidence rates between those most and least susceptible doesn't say anything at all about effectiveness among the most susceptible. Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages?

there are apparently studies (Hugh Fudenberg, MD - I'll find and link them if somebody else doesn't) indicating that a person who has had 5 flu shots is 10 more likely to develop Alzheimer's

I read that study, but that's not the worst of it: flu shots also lead to dancing.
    There is no lao tzu

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lao tzu View Post
    Teh awesomeness is contagious.

the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' comprised of the 3 strains they suspect will be problematic from over 300 possible strains. So you have about a 1 in 100 chance of having the "right" vaccine (or something like that)

Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages? Not all strains are equally likely.

it takes 2 weeks for your body to develop the antibodies from the flu shot, and lasts for about 3 months - so you have to encounter the flu in that time window

They call it "flu season." And you have to get another shot every year, because this year's likeliest strains are not next year's likeliest strains.

the flu vaccine is least effective among infants, children and the elderly - those at greatest risk - and most effective among young healthy individuals

Comparing incidence rates between those most and least susceptible doesn't say anything at all about effectiveness among the most susceptible. Did I ever tell you about the student who argued for a better grade by proving he couldn't do weighted averages?

there are apparently studies (Hugh Fudenberg, MD - I'll find and link them if somebody else doesn't) indicating that a person who has had 5 flu shots is 10 more likely to develop Alzheimer's

I read that study, but that's not the worst of it: flu shots also lead to dancing.
    I'm not arguing either side - I'm just asking for input - I'm thinking about getting the flu shot and pneumonia vaccine tomorrow.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not arguing either side - I'm just asking for input - I'm thinking about getting the flu shot and pneumonia vaccine tomorrow.
    You should have got it last fall. Although maybe that's only for us northerners.

But you should definitely get the pneumonia shot.

I can't get it until I'm 65.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    You should have got it last fall. Although maybe that's only for us northerners.

But you should definitely get the pneumonia shot.

I can't get it until I'm 65.
    I won't be 65 til end of summer. Just talked to one of the ER docs - he says he thinks that flu has really peaked in our area. Fewer and fewer cases every day. Statistically, not just anecdotally.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I won't be 65 til end of summer. Just talked to one of the ER docs - he says he thinks that flu has really peaked in our area. Fewer and fewer cases every day. Statistically, not just anecdotally.

There are more and more cases here. Several fatalities among older folk.

I can get my pneumonia shot in '19.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Taoist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think there's little personal benefit to getting your shots this late in the season. But seeing as your position puts you in contact with folks who are most at risk (I know pastors do a lot of hospital visits), I'd say yes, anyway. Lowering the risk of getting it lowers the risk of passing it on. Everyone getting a flu shot contributes to herd immunity. But to be honest, I'm not going to be getting a flu shot any time soon. Then again, I work with folks who are least at risk.
    There is no lao tzu

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've never had a flu shot and I haven't had the flu in over 30 years...I see no reason to start getting one now.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen