Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

A Wonderful Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wonderful Pride

Yeah, I know, pride is a bad thing.... but hold on just a moment....

I found out one of our Church Members (about 88 yrs old) was recently enrolled in hospice care. She's an older lady who hadn't ever been to Church since I've been pastor.
    I've been trying to follow up on these "gone" Church members, but some of them have joined other churches, have passed away, or whatever, so....

Anyway, it was brought to my attention that Betty had a rare form of thyroid cancer for which there is no cure. She supposedly has "weeks to live".

I stopped by her house to introduce myself, and had a good time visiting with her adult son and daughter, because she had "gone to lay down".

Next thing I know, she's calling from the other room, "is that the pastor?" So, daughter went and got her, and brought her to the living room.

She seemed to be in good spirits, and in the course of the conversation she assured me she knew she would be going to Heaven, she was ready to go, and probably wouldn't even cry. Well, "I might cry, but I don't think so - but I might". She was a sweetie.

She began to tell me about the wonderful nurse she has, and "you just missed her, she was here just 20 minutes ago". She went on and on about what a wonderful nurse this was, and how loving and caring she was, and how she took the time to "listen to an old woman babble". Betty's adult son and daughter threw in their 2 cents - this nurse was awesome.

I asked "from [local name] Hospice Care?" Betty lit up and said, "yes, her name is Jenny, and she's the cutest little redhead!"

I smiled, and said, "that's my daughter - that's my baby". They were amazed, and we talked for a while longer about funeral plans and such (at Betty's leading).

Jenny had been a hospice nurse for 5 years, then decided she wanted to work at the hospital in labor and delivery. (From end of life to beginning of life) After about 9 months of that, Jenny asked me, "Dad, would you be upset if I went back to Hospice?" I was surprised - why would I be upset? She said, "the hospital is a really good job, but Hospice is a Mission".

Interestingly enough, Hospice took her back with full longevity (as though she never left) and a serious increase in pay and another week of vacation.

But hearing them brag on my baby, not knowing I was her daddy, was.... I'm a proud daddy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Awww.

I think there is an exception clause in the scripture for having pride in children that are behaving well.

Comment

nice.

My mom was on hospice care when she was dying (lung cancer). Her nurses were very nice too. Except one who just came over and sat on the couch playing with her phone. We complained and she was gone. The rest of the nurses and aids were wonderful. The night my mom died, the hospice nurse was sitting with her and had been reading her the bible. She woke us up to be with my mom when she could tell she was ready to pass. I am tearing up just writing this. Because of her my mom was comfortable and we got to say goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        nice.

My mom was on hospice care when she was dying (lung cancer). Her nurses were very nice too. Except one who just came over and sat on the couch playing with her phone. We complained and she was gone. The rest of the nurses and aids were wonderful. The night my mom died, the hospice nurse was sitting with her and had been reading her the bible. She woke us up to be with my mom when she could tell she was ready to pass. I am tearing up just writing this. Because of her my mom was comfortable and we got to say goodbye.
        The hospice nurses that would come over to my place when I was taking care of my mother (in-home hospice) were really great -- especially the head nurse.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          nice.

When my daughter's husband died of cancer, one of the hospice nurses was like Nurse Ratchet - very annoying. When Jenny's husband passed, Nurse Ratchet seemed far more concerned with gathering up the controlled substances (morphine and such) than she did caring for or comforting the grieving.

Jenny's husband was a sheriff's deputy, so pretty much the entire mulit-jurisdictional drug task force was in the house, and one of them stepped up to her and said, "ma'am, we've got the tri-county drug squad here, and we can take care of the drugs - why don't you find somewhere else to be?" She kinda stared him down for a minute, then he pointed to the door, and she left in a huff.

Seriously, she was anything BUT care and compassion. But that, in addition to having taken care of her own dying husband, was what really got Jenny insterested in Hospice.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            When my daughter's husband died of cancer, one of the hospice nurses was like Nurse Ratchet - very annoying. When Jenny's husband passed, Nurse Ratchet seemed far more concerned with gathering up the controlled substances (morphine and such) than she did caring for or comforting the grieving.
            That was one of the first things they did when my mother died and were quite surprised to get everything back (I only used the morphine drops once for her breathing a couple days before she passed)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              That was one of the first things they did when my mother died and were quite surprised to get everything back (I only used the morphine drops once for her breathing a couple days before she passed)
              Yeah, and there's a way to do that with class, not like you're on a search and destroy mission. I must add, though, that this one woman was the ONLY hospice nurse that left any negative impression whatsoever, and after that event, she was no longer employed by this chapter of hospice.

Comment

Update - so, Betty passed Wednesday morning, last week, and her funeral was Saturday. We are so grateful that Betty didn't suffer long, and was so ready to go. Her son is about my age, former Marine, and a big tough guy. But, you should have seen him cry. He said "she was ready to go, but I wasn't ready for her to go".

He'll be fine. He's a marine!

She had quite an extended family - remarried when her first husband passed, and married a guy with kids, blended family, grandchildren, great grands, etc... I was amazed at how many of them came to the funeral, and how many of them appeared to be committed Christians.

A real testament to her!

Comment