Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump�s Spiritual Advisor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Paula White is now officially a White House aide.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/02/trump-...ite-house-job/

Franklin Graham apparently endorsed her latest book earlier this year: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/a...r-paula-white/. Has she significantly wheeled in her theology to be more orthodox? I don't follow her at all.
    Oh my..... From our friends at Wiki (yeah, needs more work)

The President of the United States putting a heretic on stage who claims to believe in Jesus, but does not really believe in Jesus, risks leading others astray.... I'd rather a Hindu pray on Inauguration Day and not risk the souls of men, than one whose heresy lures in souls promises of comfort only to damn them in eternity.[51]

Connor Gaffey has drawn attention to a 2007 televised event at which White stated, "Anyone who tells you to deny yourself is from Satan." Gaffey contrasts that with Jesus' words in the Gospel of Matthew: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."[36]

White has denied all allegations of heresy.[20][51] In a January 5, 2017, CNN interview, White responded to some of the criticism saying "I have been called a heretic, an apostate, an adulterer, a charlatan, and an addict. It has been falsely reported that I once filed for bankruptcy and -- my personal favorite -- that I deny the Trinity!" During her interview, she also said in her defense, "My life and my decisions have been nowhere near perfect, though nothing like what has been falsely conveyed in recent days."[52]

White has also been criticized for being introduced as having or claiming to have a doctoral degree when she has no college or seminary degree.[53]

In July 2018, White was discussing illegal immigration and said that although Jesus migrated to live in Egypt, "it was not illegal. If he had broken the law, then he would have been sinful and he would not have been our Messiah." In response, Reverend William Barber II called White a "Christian nationalist" and said that "Jesus was a refugee & did break the law. He was crucified as a felon under Roman law." Matthew Soerens of the Evangelical Immigration Table group has stated that the concept of illegal immigration did not exist at the time and also questioned White's argument that breaking a law is sinful by noting that the Bible had written about Jews defying an Egyptian ruler's order to kill children and Jesus's apostles being jailed for breaking Roman laws.[54][55]

White has been denounced by rapper and Christian pastor Shai Linne in a song, "Fal$e Teacher$".[56]
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's fitting. The de facto religion of the land is moral therapeutic deism.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I was and am troubled by Graham's endorsement of White's book, so I actually emailed the Samaritan's Purse contact email, and received, eventually, this response from Franklin Graham.

This has not eased my mind, as I see it as Graham not endorsing her, but endorsing her book, which, frankly, is endorsing her. I am also not impressed that his apology amounts to "well, it's your fault that you're offended by what I did".

I don't believe that Graham has given a satisfactory answer to me, and I am also troubled that he took down his tweet about the book endorsement. Why did he do that if he thinks he is not wrong in his endorsement?

Paula White is unqualified in a number of areas to be an adviser to the president or any man, for that matter. And Franklin Graham is flirting with error.

I have made the decision that I can no longer support Samaritan's Purse financially, as I have done for a number of years. The road to God is narrow and few there be that find that. And I am learning more and more every day that that road is narrower than any of us think it is. It is so easy to step off the edge of the road and into a false sense of still being on the right way.
        Last edited by mossrose; 11-03-2019, 07:26 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I was and am troubled by Graham's endorsement of White's book, so I actually emailed the Samaritan's Purse contact email, and received, eventually, this response from Franklin Graham.

This has not eased my mind, as I see it as Graham not endorsing her, but endorsing her book, which, frankly, is endorsing her. I am also not impressed that his apology amounts to "well, it's your fault that your offended by what I did".

I don't believe that Graham has given a satisfactory answer to me, and I am also troubled that he took down his tweet about the book endorsement. Why did he do that if he thinks he is not wrong in his endorsement?

Paula White is unqualified in a number of areas to be an adviser to the president or any man, for that matter. And Franklin Graham is flirting with error.

I have made the decision that I can no longer support Samaritan's Purse financially, as I have done for a number of years. The road to God is narrow and few there be that find that. And I am learning more and more every day that that road is narrower than any of us think it is. It is so easy to step off the edge of the road and into a false sense of still being on the right way.
          Yeah, several of us at Church have been talking about our Operation Christmas Child - we've had a blast doing it, have been deeply involved in it, but we're just not feeling as comfortable with it as we have had in the past.

This may be the last year we sponsor the shoebox project, but there are plenty of other Christmas-time things to do and support.

We're looking at other options, while maintaining our commitment to finishing out this year with Samaritan's Purse.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm bothered by her theology, but I'm also bothered by those unflinchingly classifying her as a heretic. I don't keep up with the goings-on in Word-Faith theology as I once did, but I'm not aware of a good reason to disagree with the opinion of Rob Bowman from almost 20 years ago: When pressed on whether or not Word-Faith theology is heretical, he said it is "a mess." For every heretical statement that a WF preacher makes, you can find other places where they clearly affirm orthodoxy, and you can find teachers and preachers acknowledged to be orthodox who firmly teach things not substantively different from things taken to be heresy when coming from WF preachers.
            Last edited by NorrinRadd; 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Graham is a known sellout. Why is anyone shocked?

In addition, all of the Christian leaders who pretended Trump is a confessing Christian are sellouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Not sure how serious you're being, but, yeah, I think people got really tired of politics as usual, and Trump - like him or not - really mixed things up. In a lot of ways, he's as much a pain in the butt to his own party as to the Democrats.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen the left this agitated in ages, so that's a bonus.
                So family separations and all the lies were just to mix things up?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  Graham is a known sellout. Why is anyone shocked?

In addition, all of the Christian leaders who pretended Trump is a confessing Christian are sellouts.
                  I remember some guy talking about winning the world and losing your soul...

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    I remember some guy talking about winning the world and losing your soul...
                    If they wanted to, they could very well support Trump without the bull dung that he is a confessing Christian. It would be somewhat awkward, but they could have done it.

Instead they chose the easy path, telling a lie that no one really believes. Then Graham endorses Paula White, and people are shocked.

But why should it be surprising that that so many of these prominent Christian leaders want prominence, and will sell out for it?

Comment

So family separations and all the lies were just to mix things up?

Comment

If they wanted to, they could very well support Trump without the bull dung that he is a confessing Christian. It would be somewhat awkward, but they could have done it.

Instead they chose the easy path, telling a lie that no one really believes. Then Graham endorses Paula White, and people are shocked.

But why should it be surprising that that so many of these prominent Christian leaders want prominence, and will sell out for it?
                        Not sure at whom this rant is aimed, but...

A) I, for one, have never tried to make the case that Trump is a Christian, confessing or not.
                        2) No "shock" whatsoever - It doesn't even surprise me that Trump would choose Paula White.

Comment

Not sure at whom this rant is aimed, but...
                          Not sure why you're characterising this as a rant.

2) No "shock" whatsoever - It doesn't even surprise me that Trump would choose Paula White.
                          Oh right, you didn't even read it carefully. The part of my post about 'shock' was about Graham endorsing Paula White, not about Trump.

Comment

A) I, for one, have never tried to make the case that Trump is a Christian, confessing or not.
                            I was always of the impression that he was a Southern Baptist. :-)

Comment

I was always of the impression that he was a Southern Baptist. :-)
                              A) It is not at all unusual for you to have these profoundly incorrect impressions
                              2) Trump, himself, claimed to be Presbyterian

The guilt-free gospel of Donald Trump

For much of the 2016 presidential campaign, religion has receded into the background, mainly because the two major party nominees -- Trump and Hillary Clinton -- rarely talk about their faith. Trump is a professed Presbyterian; Clinton a Methodist.

source-CNN

Comment

Not sure why you're characterising this as a rant.
                                Of course.

Oh right, you didn't even read it carefully. The part of my post about 'shock' was about Graham endorsing Paula White, not about Trump.
                                No shock there, either. Graham is nothing like his father.

Comment