Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odinism - the religion of the Kansas anti-Semitic murderer

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Odinism - the religion of the Kansas anti-Semitic murderer

There seems to be some confusion about the religion of Frazier Glenn Cross, the man who opened fire outside a Jewish community center in Kansas on Sunday. He does not identify with Christianity as some assume. Rather, he has written in support of a neo-pagan religion known as Odinism (although according to the article, he may be closer to atheism). Apparently Odinism has some following among imprisoned white supremacists. I found this article interesting:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/0...ion/?hpt=hp_t2
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Odin was a Norsk god. Currently yeah Odinism is popular in Neopagan circles as a way to get in touch with the Nordic roots and for white supremacy presumably blonde hair blue eyed types. For others, its merely paganism.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For an anti-Semitic, he wasn't very good at identifying Jews (0 for 3).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Odinism is heathen not pagan and not all odinists are neo nazi followers of fashion

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Odinism is heathen not pagan and not all odinists are neo nazi followers of fashion
    What is the difference between heathen and pagan?

And to be clear, I am not claiming all Odinists, or even most, are racist.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    For an anti-Semitic, he wasn't very good at identifying Jews (0 for 3).
    'Anti-Semite' doesn't really imply 'smarter than the average rock', does it?

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From my understanding (and I know it is not all that much!) a Pagan is anyone not following one of the three Abrahamic religions.The term Pagan has become a more generalized term to refer to a wide umbrella of nature oriented religions that most commonly share a focus on earth centered spirituality and feature both a God and a Goddess as the representations of the concept of deity. A Heathen on the other hand, is one who follows an Ethnic tradition/religion. Heathens are those who modernly follow Northern European traditions and therefore would argue that the term Heathen is exclusive to only the followers of Northern European, and often more specifically Germanic, traditions. As the term heathen was derived from the Old Norse word, hen, this is a logical interpretation for those who intend to use culturally specific terminology.

I guess you could say that All Heathens are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Heathens. Which is why I differentiated. It is akin to the differences within christian denominations JW's, SDA's, Mormons, catholics, Anglicans, baptists, methodists.... do you see my point (Hope so)

Heathen is a word that means heath dweller or hills dweller. It was taken by the Christians to mean anyone who was an infedel back during the Crusades era. Pagan is a more modern term and usually applies to anyone whose religion is not Jewish/Christian/Islamic or Bhuddist. Because the word heathen has been used as an insult term by Christians for so many hundreds of years most people who follow a mystery religion that do not call themselves atheist or agnostic prefer Pagan at least in the USA. A Heathen is equated as a "bad man" but seriously.... aren't all men "bad" Lets not confuse heathen with heretic , although I guess most heathens would be thought to be heretical as they don't do Jesus.

Pagan: The term pagan comes from the Latin word paganus and can be modernly equated to a "dumb stupid hick" and was considered a derogatory term.

Paganus: Adj. Of a village, rustic; ignorant, untaught; m. villager, peasant; (as term of contempt) yokel (From the "New College Latin and English Dictionary," by John C. Traupman, PhD.) Alternatively, the term is also of Roman derivation and refers to a civilian and was a reference to those who were not enrolled in the Christian religious militia (e. g. Soldier of Christ).
    Heathens prefer the term precisely because it is Germanic in root. Northern Europe, with the exception of part of the British Isles, was never conquered by the Roman Empire. so, sure it may be childish, but it's a way of thumbing our noses at the southerners (those who were invaded) . It's one of their our own words, not one that came from Latin.

https://education.yahoo.com/referenc.../entry/Hoosier

Both words, Pagan and Heathen are derogatory in nature. Both came to mean "bumpkin" (foolish country folk.) When applied to religion, they meant a foolish person who clung to old beliefs and Gods.

If you don't think clinging to old Gods is foolish, you don't see the term as derogatory, you therefore wear it with pride.

A similar idea can be applied to the state of Indiana. The residents call themselves Hoosiers, although it is defined as a derogatory term in dictionaries (meaning bumpkin or country rustic). Hoosiers are proud to be country folk.

The link gives more examples of derogatory words becoming words of pride NC = Tarheels because they don't back down!
    Last edited by London; 06-08-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Actually, you have to be within Christianity to be a heretic - it refers to deviating significantly from orthodoxy, not merely not following Jesus.

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Actually, you have to be within Christianity to be a heretic - it refers to deviating significantly from orthodoxy, not merely not following Jesus.
    Thank you for the reminder Teal =, it's been a while since I've been around these circles and so my definitions are a little rusty.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No prob - it isn't a big deal but I thought I'd mention it.