Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odinism - the religion of the Kansas anti-Semitic murderer

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Actually, you have to be within Christianity to be a heretic - it refers to deviating significantly from orthodoxy, not merely not following Jesus.
    Minor quibble: being a heretic is not exclusive to Christianity.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    Minor quibble: being a heretic is not exclusive to Christianity.
    True - unless you're discussing Christian heretics.

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One of the reasons that many Norse Heathens prefer the term "heathen" over "pagan" or "neo-pagan" is the connotation and stigma attached to "paganism" in the modern scheme of things. Generally, the term "neopagan" conjures up a view (whether this is a fair view or not) of dark emo-hippy, magic-minded, moral relativists.

On the other hand, Heathens tend to be a bit more practically-minded. They generally fully admit-- and even pride themselves upon-- the fact that modern Heathenry is an attempt to reconstruct a religion from history; it is not an unbroken continuation of that religion. Many Heathens refer to their faith as "the religion with homework," due to a general emphasis on scholarly reading of the historical accounts of the faith. Christian students and scholars familiar with historical, genre, and textual criticism might be surprised to learn that these fields are considered to be of utmost importance to Norse Heathens. They tend to have fairly strong views on ethics and morality which focus on the value of family and kindred. Heathens tend to be much more conservative, politically, than most neo-pagans, as a result.

As in any other religion, you will find a number of people who interpret things differently from others-- even when it comes to the basic tenets of Heathen theology. There are Heathens who believe that the gods are actual, personal beings who interact with humanity; while, at the same time, there are others who take a more archetypal view, believing the gods to be the embodiment of certain concepts or aspects of the world. The difference between these two views is something like the difference between Classical Theism and Panentheism, from a monotheist's perspective. There are still other Heathens, like myself, who are actually completely atheist. We find good ethical and philosophical value in the legends and myths recorded in the Sagas and the Eddas, but we do not believe that the gods represent actual entities working in the world.

There are a lot of different names associated with Norse Heathenry: Asatru, Odinism, the Troth, Theodism, and a host of others. There is, unfortunately, a stigma of racism attached to Heathenry, and while the vast majority of Heathens stand firmly opposed to any promotion of bigotry, there are a handful of noisome Heathens who are most certainly ethnically biased.

Norse Heathenry is a very interesting religion, with some surprisingly complex scholarship. If anyone would like a pretty good introduction to just what Heathenry is, what Heathens believe, and the history of the religion, I wholeheartedly recommend a fairly short book by Patricia M. Lafayllve called, "A Practical Heathen's Guide to Asatru." It's not perfect, but it's the best intro to Heathenry that I have yet seen.

4. Amen London amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thank you for the general introduction. I found the part about it being adopted by some as a philosophy (but specifically not as a religious) to be interesting, and it makes sense - there is precedent for such a thing with some people who identify as Satanists (but not theists) and other secular people who call themselves Cultural Christians as an acknowledgement of it having a role in the shaping of their particular society.

The part about them having a generally communitarian outlook also makes sense as to why so many are associated with right wing politics, at least in the public imagination...
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Thank you for the general introduction. I found the part about it being adopted by some as a philosophy (but specifically not as a religious) to be interesting, and it makes sense - there is precedent for such a thing with some people who identify as Satanists (but not theists) and other secular people who call themselves Cultural Christians as an acknowledgement of it having a role in the shaping of their particular society.

The part about them having a generally communitarian outlook also makes sense as to why so many are associated with right wing politics, at least in the public imagination...
    I'm glad you enjoyed! Perhaps I should work at getting a few of these posts split off into their own thread. I rather chafe at the title of this one. It'd be like having the only thread dedicated to Christianity on a religion forum entitled "Roman Catholic- the religion of mafia hitman Richard Kuklinski."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed! Perhaps I should work at getting a few of these posts split off into their own thread. I rather chafe at the title of this one. It'd be like having the only thread dedicated to Christianity on a religion forum entitled "Roman Catholic- the religion of mafia hitman Richard Kuklinski."

PM the area mod and make the request. They'll likely do it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    Since I was the OP... I should explain my titling. I started the thread shortly after the event happened. (The shooting was about 20 minutes from where I live AND I previously knew of the shooter from causing trouble in my area so naturally I was very interested in looking at it from every angle.) I thought it was interesting that he followed a religion I was unfamiliar with. But, yeah, I can see how that looks bad now.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Since I was the OP... I should explain my titling. I started the thread shortly after the event happened. (The shooting was about 20 minutes from where I live AND I previously knew of the shooter from causing trouble in my area so naturally I was very interested in looking at it from every angle.) I thought it was interesting that he followed a religion I was unfamiliar with. But, yeah, I can see how that looks bad now.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything intentionally derogatory about it. I certainly didn't detect any sort of deliberate disrespect in your OP, and I completely understand the motivation behind the thread.

Just meant that I'll start another thread for a fuller discussion of the religion.