Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump Resign Over "Hellhole" Comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Um, in the early eighties, you still had famine issues in Haiti, right?
    Yes, and so did the Dominican Republic.

While I agree with the thrust here, people who are hungry aren't good candidates for 'wait for later'.
    It worked great "next door", with a lot of the same background. Another complication in Haiti that wasn't as prevalent as the DR was the influence and control of voodoo.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Except he din't say hellhole. I have local radio personalities who were Trump supporters calling for Trump to resign... Is it racist, or factual?
      I wish you had phrased the first sentence differently, because I misunderstood it as a claim that Trump never said the supposed phrase to begin with and was confused about the lack of backing about the claim not being true.

Anyway, as to the question, he shouldn't resign over it. So he said something that could be construed as really stupid and offensive in private. Whatever. Every president of the last several decades (including Trump himself) has done or said things that are considerably more worthy of resignation than this statement. If they didn't resign over that, it's silly to resign over this.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Of course he said it, there were 5 or 6 republicans in the room along with 1 democrat, Dick Durbin, and not one has come to the Presidents defense. If it weren't true Lindsey Graham, Trumps new best bud, would have been the first to refute it to the media.
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'm inclined to believe he probably said it.
        I think he probably did, at least in some sense, but a couple Republican Senators, Tom Cotton and David Perdue, are saying that, while he used some pretty tough language, they don't recall him using that word in exactly that sense. (By the way, we're all adults here, the news is using the word pretty openly. Seems there should be some leeway in at least this thread using it. Difficult to discuss it, especially as even veiled profanity is against the rules).

What I think is wild is watching so many talking heads blowing up over this. Watching a news clip from CNN last night, and this Phil Mudd character went completely apoplectic on the subject. No editing or anything. Dude in the midst of his rant called himself a "proud $###holler". The whole thing is almost comical if it weren't for the fact that this has so many real life implications associated with it. If people weren't already super entrenched in their bi-partisan views, this will certainly result in people moving further and further into their own camps.

On the drive home from work tonight, NPR were absolutely besides themselves referring to the President as (in no uncertain terms) a racist. And NPR knowing that the President is now an open racist, what does this mean for the country and the presidency?

It's hard for me to know where to land on this. I think the idea of Trump calling these nations $###holes is beyond pathetic. The concept of diplomacy, rhetoric, grace, etc., is completely lost on him. I think he's an egotistical, short-sighted, and insufferable blowhard who should probably resign simply because he can't edit his internal monologue. He's a terrible example, not just as the leader of the free world, but of someone in a position of influence to begin with. What makes matters worse is that he's probably not alone in thinking and acting the way he does as a person of power, wealth, and influence. Lot of others get away with it simply because they're not under as great a microscope. That said, I don't think he's a racist. Or at least, I haven't heard anything from him that makes me think he's a racist. A xenophobe, probably. A conspiracy nut, sure. Ill-mannered, definitely. A racist...., not so much.

TWeb is like one of the very few places I go to see what the "other" side has to say outside of most of the far left sites I visit. Out of curiosity, I checked out what Reddit's "The_Donald" subreddit had to say. "The_Donald" is the most popular conservative section of the website, and it's a place I typically avoid like the plague, but this graphic that was in their top scoring posts caught my attention, and I couldn't help but find it a little entertaining (edited for the forum),

Trump.jpg

Ultimately, though, I'm with Sparko. Immigrants were the ones who made this country amazing. Forget all of that stupid macho Gangs of New York - Bill the Butcher noise. This nation was built on the backs of slaves who were taken from their homes, and hard working, intelligent, and often mistreated immigrants who fled the plight of their home nations to make something better of the lives of themselves and their families. They deserve the respect they're owed. And while I understand that boundaries are necessary in order to keep some sense of order in a nation, I also can't help but see them as nothing more than imaginary lines put in place by people in power. The Christ in me would that all are given the opportunity to have what I often take for granted.
        Last edited by Adrift; 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          And you have Republicans in the room who said they never heard it: http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-c...-remark-2018-1
          Thats's because they're full of crap seer. Lindsey Graham basically admitted to it and spoke up about it during the meeting itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            This nation was built on the backs of slaves who were taken from their homes
            Actually that was just the south, which was burned to the ground. And they were not "taken from their homes", they were bought from mostly African slave traders.

and hard working, intelligent, and often mistreated immigrants who fled the plight of their home nations to make something better of the lives of themselves and their families. They deserve the respect they're owed. And while I understand that boundaries are necessary in order to keep some sense of order in a nation, I also can't help but see them as nothing more than imaginary lines put in place by people in power.
            lolwut it's the people in power who routinely defy those borders to get more slave labor.

The Christ in me would that all are given the opportunity to have what I often take for granted.
            Seems to me that the actual Christ has chosen not to do that, so maybe stick with Him instead.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              And they were not "taken from their homes", they were bought from mostly African slave traders.
              And where did the slave traders get them?
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Actually that was just the south, which was burned to the ground. And they were not "taken from their homes", they were bought from mostly African slave traders.
                Don't be ignorant. There were slaves in the north. And while I understand that you're a slave apologist, regardless of how they became slaves, they were still taken from their homes.

lolwut it's the people in power who routinely defy those borders to get more slave labor.
                Who, specifically, do you have in mind?

Seems to me that the actual Christ has chosen not to do that, so maybe stick with Him instead.
                The one you call Christ is an anti-Christ. Jesus came to set the captives free.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  Don't be ignorant. There were slaves in the north.
                  Not enough to claim they built the country with a straight face.

And while I understand that you're a slave apologist, regardless of how they became slaves, they were still taken from their homes.
                  Not by Americans, which would have made that detail relevant. And I'm not a slave apologist, open borders nutjobs like you are. My policies would prevent corporations from turning people into de facto slaves. Yours would destroy the West in a few short years and turn the entire world into a "Hellhole" overnight because you're too stupid and corrupt to think even one step ahead of what would happen if you carried out your ignorant whims.

Who, specifically, do you have in mind?
                  How about all the corporations who use illegal labour because they can ignore labor laws?

The one you call Christ is an anti-Christ. Jesus came to set the captives free.
                  I know you're really out to get me because I refuse to serve your father the Devil but at least try to remain coherent, we were talking about "all are given the opportunity to have what I often take for granted." You claim this comes from "The Christ in you" but the actual Christ could easily grant that and does not. So how can this desire come from Christ? It comes from the Devil, who convinced you that his will is Christ's. So you seek to give what is not yours to give while ignoring your actual responsibilities. I believe Paul called this kind of behavior "worse than the unbelievers".
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    And where did the slave traders get them?
                    Wars, mostly. Does it matter? Americans did not take them from their homes. Adrift wants to shovel that part under the rug and blows a gasket when someone disrupts his narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Really? I wouldn't have thought you were part of his base.
                      I am not the one arguing from ignorance (three monkeys, which one are, either that or I will question your literacy to read and understand posts) and vainly trying to defend him. It is obvious who is basest of the base are as they vainly try and defend his bigoted racism, which has a long history of direct Trump public quotes.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Not enough to claim they built the country with a straight face.
                        Yeah, I suppose those slaves in the north weren't good for nothin to an apologist like yourself.

Not by Americans, which would have made that detail relevant.
                        1800s slave holding Darth Executor... "I didn't do nothin wrong. They just appeared on my doorstep."

And I'm not a slave apologist
                        Yes you are.

open borders nutjobs like you are.
                        "while I understand that boundaries are necessary in order to keep some sense of order in a nation..."

My policies would prevent corporations from turning people into de facto slaves. Yours would destroy the West in a few short years and turn the entire world into a "Hellhole" overnight because you're too stupid and corrupt to think even one step ahead of what would happen if you carried out your ignorant whims.
                        You don't have any policies. You're just some dude living in Canada who day dreams of being Dirty Harry. I seen dozens of your type in the military, getting off on Soldier of Fortune magazines under your mattress, and playing with throwing stars, hoping one day someone will recognize you for the Rambo that you really are, and when real life hits, you go weak in the knees and break down when you can't cope.

How about all the corporations who use illegal labour because they can ignore labor laws?
                        Oh, you mean the wealthy types who'd likely vote Republican?

I know you're really out to get me because I refuse to serve your father the Devil but at least try to remain coherent, we were talking about "all are given the opportunity to have what I often take for granted." You claim this comes from "The Christ in you" but the actual Christ could easily grant that and does not. So how can this desire come from Christ? It comes from the Devil, who convinced you that his will is Christ's. So you seek to give what is not yours to give while ignoring your actual responsibilities. I believe Paul called this kind of behavior "worse than the unbelievers".
                        I know reading comprehension can be hard, but I said that I "would that all are given the opportunity to have what I often take for granted." In other words, I realize that we live in a fallen world where that isn't the current reality, even though I wish it were. Those who know their scripture know that Christ cannot easily grant this at this moment, or do you think he enjoys watching the suffering of the helpless in this fallen world (I'm thinking you do). The unfortunate truth, as Paul reminds us, is that this creation is still in bondage, groaning for liberation, and that those in Christ are still embroiled in spiritual warfare against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly place. The one you are calling my father, but that you show by your own rotten fruit to have great affinity towards (wishing the murder of the innocent unborn on your self-proclaimed enemies) still works what little authority he has here till Christ's return.
                        Last edited by Adrift; 01-12-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Around the time of the Revolution there were more slaves in New York City than any other American city aside from Charleston.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yes, and so did the Dominican Republic.

It worked great "next door", with a lot of the same background. Another complication in Haiti that wasn't as prevalent as the DR was the influence and control of voodoo.
                            I was in Haiti in the early 80s and it was definitely a "poophole" by any measure. You could literally look at a satellite picture and see where the border of Haiti and the Dominican Republic were because the people of Haiti had stripped the country of virtually every single tree. This meant when you looked at the picture, Haiti was brown whereas the DR was virtually all green. And it was even more obvious on the ground. The people were digging up the tree stumps of the trees that had been chopped down to get at the roots so they could use them to make fires to cook their food. The place was little more than a mud ball

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Interesting how the scripts have flipped considering how the left was sneering at and mocking those on the right who were offended by Obama's description of Mitt Romney as a "bullpooper" (yeah, that wasn't the exact word he used). Rolling Stone jumped into the fray (fittingly since Obama used the word during an interview with them) proclaiming

When President Obama called Mitt Romney a "[bullpooper]" in the pages of Rolling Stone earlier this year, it set off a brief firestorm. Defenders of the Republican candidate were shocked – shocked! – that the man holding the highest office in the land would resort to such language.

In truth, the halls of the White House (like nearly every other house in the country, with the apparent exception of Romney's) have heard no shortage of profanity over the decades.

What's more they even suggested that coarse language was a requirement to be president declaring that "It's a dirty job, leading the free world. Sometimes it takes a few dirty words."

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                He is appealing to his racist bigoted basest of the base. As indicated by the responses so far.
                                That's exactly what he's doing and demonstrating in the process his own overt racism which has been evident from the beginning.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment