Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump Resign Over "Hellhole" Comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You go on thinking that, Jim.
    I will go on knowing that, OBP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Just keep telling yourself that.
      I'm watching it happen. Folks who used to get upset over this or that story are becoming increasingly uninterested.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      No, Trump is blessed by the ignorant white Evangelicals for whom he can do no wrong. He has no other support.
      Polls are placing his popularity in the +40% range. Do you think there are that many white Evangelicals? I've recently heard that his support among blacks has increased sharply, maybe even doubling (might have something to do with their unemployment numbers being at record lows).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        I will go on thinking that, OBP.
        You're no better than Mountain Man's belief that liberals are irredeemably stupid.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          No, Trump is blessed by the ignorant white Evangelicals for whom he can do no wrong.
          When many of us clearly state that we voted for Trump as the "lesser of two evils", only a moron could interpret that as "he can do no wrong".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You're no better than Mountain Man's belief that liberals are irredeemably stupid.
            Why did you alter my post, OBP?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Republicans do not believe in a social saftey net Sparko, they don't believe in their tax dollars going towards such things that they they themselves may not even benefit from. Where have you been?
              I guess I'm responding to an old post, but this statement is far too broad and sweeping. Some Republicans don't believe in a social safety net. Most of the ones I know don't believe in a social safety net that creates long-term entitlement. It is a view I generally agree with.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I've only ever said that jokingly. I know a lot of liberals who are very intelligent and well-educated people. They just happen to be idiots when it comes to politics and public policy. It's a curious phenomenon that often leaves me scratching my head.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  I guess I'm responding to an old post, but this statement is far too broad and sweeping. Some Republicans don't believe in a social safety net. Most of the ones I know don't believe in a social safety net that creates long-term entitlement. It is a view I generally agree with.
                  Jim is the master builder of mighty men of straw. Most of us have said repeatedly we do not oppose safety nets for those who need them. And the creation of long-term (unnecessary) entitlements is definitely a problem. (there are some cases, no doubt, where long-term care is warranted)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I've only ever said that jokingly. I know a lot of liberals who are very intelligent and well-educated people. They just happen to be idiots when it comes to politics and public policy. It's a curious phenomenon that often leaves me scratching my head.
                    Idiots, of course, because they happen to disagree with you...?
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Idiots, of course, because they happen to disagree with you...?
                      Nope.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Jim is the master builder of mighty men of straw. Most of us have said repeatedly we do not oppose safety nets for those who need them. And the creation of long-term (unnecessary) entitlements is definitely a problem. (there are some cases, no doubt, where long-term care is warranted)
                        I find that the problem (in general) with the left is they tend to create these programs without thinking through the consequences, and get caught enabling instead of truly empowering. Not always, but often enough for it to be an issue. The problem (in general) with the right is that they slash and burn funding to programs with little or no thought given to their efficacy and impact. If it smells like "entitlement," cut it! As a consequence, many programs that have been shown to have long-term benefits and reduce costs to us taxpayers have been slashed, eliminating those benefits and increasing costs.

The IRS is a great case in point. It is so hated, that the budget has been repeatedly slashed under Republican leadership. The consequence? The U.S. Tax system is largely an "honor" system. The IRS has historically done spot-check audits, especially among the worst offenders. Now they lack the resources to do so. The estimate is that we gain $4 in revenue for every $1 spent on enforcement of the tax code. So, once again, an action that benefits primarily large corporations and large tax payers (e.g., the wealthy).

Comment

I find that the problem (in general) with the left is they tend to create these programs without thinking through the consequences, and get caught enabling instead of truly empowering.
                          Yes, my own definition of "wisdom" includes the ability to solve problems, being aware of the unintended consequences, and adjusting for them. Too many times there's a rush to 'fix a problem' with no real forethought....

Not always, but often enough for it to be an issue. The problem (in general) with the right is that they slash and burn funding to programs with little or no thought given to their efficacy and impact.
                          I'm less inclined to agree with that, but I guess I'm one of those "compassionate conservatives" - I want to reign in wasteful spending, and actually solve problems, not enable them.

If it smells like "entitlement," cut it!
                          Think about that word - "entitlement". What is it to which we are actually "entitled"?

As a consequence, many programs that have been shown to have long-term benefits and reduce costs to us taxpayers have been slashed, eliminating those benefits and increasing costs.
                          Your best three examples, please?

The IRS is a great case in point. It is so hated, that the budget has been repeatedly slashed under Republican leadership. The consequence? The U.S. Tax system is largely an "honor" system. The IRS has historically done spot-check audits, especially among the worst offenders. Now they lack the resources to do so. The estimate is that we gain $4 in revenue for every $1 spent on enforcement of the tax code. So, once again, an action that benefits primarily large corporations and large tax payers (e.g., the wealthy).
                          The tax code is probably the best example of the worst of congress - like we've talked about some other things - neither side really wants to address the problem - they only want to use it as a political football, and a source of rewarding their own donors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Your best three examples, please?
                            I gave you one - the IRS.

Another is the penal system. To save $, the government moved to "outsource" to the private sector. But the private sector has ZERO interest in programs to deal with recidivism or control/reduce jail time, because they get paid for every night they have someone in custody. Since this outsourcing, recidivism has skyrocketed and, with it, or penal system costs. This same industry is actively lobbying to keep as many incarceratable (I think I invented a word) offenses on the books. Obama recognized the problem and began the process of shutting down this practice of outsourcing to private industry. Little wonder that the industry strongly backed Trump, who is now actively reversing those policies and keeping us on the path of incarcerating more of our citizens than any other country (by percentage of population), and maintaining extremely high recidivism rates.

School funding cuts are another place where shortsightedness prevails. this is more at the state and local level, but it primarily Republicans arguing for cuts. Arizona is a prime example of the effect. Education funding has not only not grown with the cost of living, it has been slashed by over 30% between 2008 and 2015. Students are now emerging from a system where upwards of 48 students are packed per classroom because of these cuts, and they are completely unprepared to enter college or get decent jobs. Long term, the economy suffers, and our ability to function on the world stage as a scientific and technological leader is compromised.

There are many, many others.

Comment

I meant to specify the republican party as an agenda, not necessarily their entire constituency. There are of course many constituents who love the idea of the social safety net, who are also members of the party that would like nothing more than to destroy it.

Comment

I gave you one - the IRS.
                                That's one out of three, to which I already responded.

Another is the penal system. To save $, the government moved to "outsource" to the private sector. But the private sector has ZERO interest in programs to deal with recidivism or control/reduce jail time, because they get paid for every night they have someone in custody. Since this outsourcing, recidivism has skyrocketed and, with it, or penal system costs. This same industry is actively lobbying to keep as many incarceratable (I think I invented a word) offenses on the books. Obama recognized the problem and began the process of shutting down this practice of outsourcing to private industry. Little wonder that the industry strongly backed Trump, who is now actively reversing those policies and keeping us on the path of incarcerating more of our citizens than any other country (by percentage of population), and maintaining extremely high recidivism rates.
                                Interestingly enough, some of the best run prisons are in Louisiana, where Christianity has had an astounding affect on the whole situation.

School funding cuts are another place where shortsightedness prevails. this is more at the state and local level, but it primarily Republicans arguing for cuts. Arizona is a prime example of the effect. Education funding has not only not grown with the cost of living, it has been slashed by over 30% between 2008 and 2015. Students are now emerging from a system where upwards of 48 students are packed per classroom because of these cuts, and they are completely unprepared to enter college or get decent jobs. Long term, the economy suffers, and our ability to function on the world stage as a scientific and technological leader is compromised.
                                Do you really believe that "more dollars" necessarily means "better education"? I'm thinking not. The problem with schools, IMOHBAO, is they are top-heavy with management.

There are many, many others.
                                ... the which, if you should mention every one, the whole world could not contain the volumes that could be written?

Comment