Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump Resign Over "Hellhole" Comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Nonsense! The Antifa movement is a conglomeration of anti-fascist groups whose principal is their opposition to fascism.
    By fascism they mean "anything we disagree with."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Most days I get my news from NPR, who absolutely LOATH president Trump, but every single day the one good thing they say about him is how great the economy is doing; How unemployment levels haven't been this low in years. They even attempt to paint the lack of unemployment as a negative whenever they can; That some economists predict that this level of employment could have some weird consequences in the future, and that one the biggest problems is that employers can't seem to find people to employ, and it's forcing them to increase wages in order to attract new employees (which doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing to me). I don't understand why you're sort of poopooing this one decent thing that's happening in Trump's presidency as "the indicators have been mixed". As far as I've been hearing, the indicators are far from mixed. Is NPR misdirecting their listeners, or am I missing some bigger picture here?
      Promoting the conservative trope of NPR bias while minimizing the bias of the president is only going to work among those who both never listen to the president and never listen to NPR. Loathing. In all caps even. I listen to NPR everyday, and this is simply not true. NPR features the most modulated news reporting on the radio dial.

What show are you talking about, which hosts, what story?

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Promoting the conservative trope of NPR bias while minimizing the bias of the president is only going to work among those who both never listen to the president and never listen to NPR. Loathing. In all caps even. I listen to NPR everyday, and this is simply not true. NPR features the most modulated news reporting on the radio dial.

What show are you talking about, which hosts, what story?
        I used to think NPR was pinko commie liberal, but have been listening to it pretty regularly in the car for a couple years, having decided I don't need Sirius/XM anymore, and find it generally informative and unprovocative.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Not even close. When asked about Obama's press secretary Jim Carney dismissing Durbin's allegation (saying "it did not happen"), Durbin refused to back down and instead issued the statement that "Senator Durbin stands by his comments," through his spokesman Max Gleischman.

So yes Durbin concocted a fake quote which he attributed to "one GOP House Leader" and when repeatedly told by both Democrats and Republicans that it was false stubbornly announced that he "stands by his comments."

This is why he is not exactly a credible source for these sort of things and why you need to hand wave away his history of making up fake quotes because you need for him to be a credible witness now.

Fail better.
          No Durbin didn't concoct it, and the white house apologised for the misinformation he was given, so stop quoting your favorite fake news site and do a little research.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Do the conditions of that security clearance allow discussion of its existence on open-access international non-government fora?
            There are security clearances which are themselves classified, but holding a security clearance, in general, is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I used to think NPR was pinko commie liberal, but have been listening to it pretty regularly in the car for a couple years, having decided I don't need Sirius/XM anymore, and find it generally informative and unprovocative.
              Wait, wait, don't tell me!

Comment

There are security clearances which are themselves classified, but holding a security clearance, in general, is not.
                Back in the 70's, I worked for a time for the NSA, which was referred to internally as "No Such Agency". I had one of those security clearances that were not "secret" in and of themselves.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  No Durbin didn't concoct it, and the white house apologised for the misinformation he was given, so stop quoting your favorite fake news site and do a little research.
                  From that extreme alt-right publication, Huffpo....

Brendan Buck, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), called on Durbin to back up his allegation. “Senator Durbin’s accusation is a serious one, and it appears to have been invented out of thin air. The senator should disclose who told him this account of events, retract his reckless allegation immediately, and apologize.”

At his daily briefing on Wednesday, White House press secretary Jay Carney said that the incident never happened.

Despite the denial from the White House and Republican calls for an explanation, Durbin spokesman Max Gleischman told The Huffington Post later Wednesday, “Sen. Durbin stands by his comments.”

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Please show where the White House apologized for providing him with misinformation. All I can find from both liberal and conservative news sources is that they officially denied his claim not that they were the source for his erroneous claim.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wait, wait, don't tell me!
                      I just wish they wouldn't have dumped Juan Williams.

Comment

Back in the 70's, I worked for a time for the NSA, which was referred to internally as "No Such Agency". I had one of those security clearances that were not "secret" in and of themselves.
                        NSA is staffed, almost entirely, by mathematicians. I didn't know they let your type work there.

My thesis advisor brought in an NSA mathematician as a visiting professor, who referred to her, once, as everyone's favorite panelist. The look she gave him ... pretty much guaranteed he'd never make that mistake again.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Please show where the White House apologized for providing him with misinformation. All I can find from both liberal and conservative news sources is that they officially denied his claim not that they were the source for his erroneous claim.
                          You're calling on Jim to provide sources?!?!?!?!

Comment

NSA is staffed, almost entirely, by mathematicians. I didn't know they let your type work there.
                            That's disappointing, Jesse, even from you. I've been nothing but civil to you.

Comment

The look she gave him ... pretty much guaranteed he'd never make that mistake again.
                              To clarify, the issue was that she had a say in which of her colleagues received grants from the NSA.

Comment

That's disappointing, Jesse, even from you. I've been nothing but civil to you.
                                It's a joke, son.

When my brother was getting married, the entire male side of the wedding party, including the father of the bride, excluding myself, was composed of Lutheran preachers, and my brother poked me with it.

"None of you are mathematicians," I said.

Game, set, match.

Comment