Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump Resign Over "Hellhole" Comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Trump should resign over statements in poor taste like that, but he should be shamed for them which he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Hmm. Well I will admit they're not provocative in the sense that, say, popular news media entertainers are. They don't generally come off like Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity, and Cenk Uygur. But then, as far as I can tell, no actual news news program actually does come off that way (not even Fox when they're just reporting the news).
      That's a pretty accurate summation of the sense in which I think NPR is unprovocative.

By provocative I suppose I mean that I typically notice a dearth of conservative views on the show. That they almost always frame Trump in the worse light. That the reporters and journalists, especially in interviews, barely seem to contain their dislike for him or his policies, or they frame things in such a way so that (in my opinion) their guests essentially tell you what NPR themselves feel about a subject. Last Friday on the way home they were discussing Trump's $###hole comments with a journalist, who, in no uncertain terms, called Trump a racist. At no point did they attempt to correct him, or try to even discuss if he really was a racist. They simply let be said, and then discussed what having an openly racist president might mean for the US. Nor at any point did they attempt to get another angle on the situation. They never called up or brought in a journalist who thought that, no, Trump was not a racist. I mean, that's just one example I can think of from the very last time I was listening to NPR, and it might seem like nothing, but it's part of a bigger picture the listener forms of them. They do that sort of thing all of the time.

Now, I don't care if they think Trump is a racist. I don't think he is, but whatever. I don't even care that they don't like Trump (I don't like Trump, so we share that in common), Nor do I care if they're provocative. Contrary to what lao tzu thinks I think, I never said provocation was a bad thing. What I dislike is the lack of balance. They pretend to be sophisticated and balanced, but they're not, and that irritates me a bit, especially since they're partially publicly funded. All I want is a balanced news source, and that's next to impossible to find.
      I'll buy that. I was guessing, rightly so, that it was simply the way in which we were saying or understanding the meaning of "provocative".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        I don't think Trump should resign over statements in poor taste like that, but he should be shamed for them which he was.
        Except there are several people on record, including the President himself, who have denied that he said it. The only person claiming he said it is "Tricky Dick" Durbin, who is not a credible source.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't think Trump should resign over statements in poor taste like that, but he should be shamed for them which he was.
          Why would anyone think such statements should lead to his resignation? He's simply displaying the characteristics that featured in his campaign and got him elected.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I do not believe Trump showed any remorse or shame for any of his history of horrendous insulting statements from insulting POWs. Mexicans and various ethnic and racial groups. I have not seen Trump apologize once, only bald face lies and avoidance of being held responsible for behavior.

I do not think Trump should resign, nor be impeached. I want see him and other Republicans humiliated in future elections, but considering the nature of his base of support this is only a possibility.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Is Jimmy really defending "Tricky Dick" Durbin for knowingly making a false statement?
              Supported by Senator Graham.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Graham wasn't in the meeting. At least three people who were in the meeting have stated they never heard the President use that language, and the President himself has denied it.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Graham wasn't in the meeting. At least three people who were in the meeting have stated they never heard the President use that language, and the President himself has denied it.
                  FWICT he was there but has only said that Durbin's claim was "basically accurate" which means it wasn't accurate but was close.

Interestingly, Graham, who is an ardent Never Trumper (who voted for Independent candidate Evan McMullin) made a similar remark back in 2013 while discussing immigration:

The people coming across the southern border live in hellholes. They don’t like that. They want to come here. Our problem is we can’t have everybody in the world who lives in a hellhole come to America

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Except there are several people on record, including the President himself, who have denied that he said it. The only person claiming he said it is "Tricky Dick" Durbin, who is not a credible source.
                    In that case there's even less reason for him to leave office.

Comment

• I think Trump's insensitive comment is plenty of reason for him to resign from the craphole that is DC.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Can you show, please, where Graham actually supported Durbin's claim?

Thanks

All I have found, so far, was that Graham did not dispute Durbin's claim, not that he supported it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Can you show, please, where Graham actually supported Durbin's claim?

Thanks

All I have found, so far, was that Graham did not dispute Durbin's claim, not that he supported it.
                          Egad! Sen Graham would have been the first to dispute the claim if it were not true. He still has not disputed it, and rather than disputing Durbins claim when asked about it specifically, Graham instead admitted to confronting the President for using those words at the time Trump said them. What, do you need to be spoon fed?
                          Last edited by JimL; 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Egad! Sen Graham would have been the first to dispute the claim if it were not true. He still has not disputed it, and rather than disputing Durbins claim when asked about it specifically, Graham instead admitted to confronting the President for using those words at the time he said them. What, do you need to be spoon fed?
                            So, no proof that he "supported" his friend's claim - just that he didn't dispute it, correct? And your little temper tantrum doesn't equate to a citation or proof.

Comment

What are you talking about? Are you listening to Breitbart again? Graham has already acknowledged being at the meeting and confronting the President for the things Durbin claimed he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                So, no proof that he "supported" his friend's claim - just that he didn't dispute it, correct? And your little temper tantrum doesn't equate to a citation or proof.
                                Ah, Graham said that he confronted the President concerning the language that Durbin claimed the President used. Thats proof that he supports Durbins claim.

Comment