Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump Resign Over "Hellhole" Comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    The reaction here is truly amazing.
    What kind of a reaction would you get if you were at a party and pulled a coned white hood over your head and asked "hey guys, who's up for a cross lighting?"

Probably the same kind of reaction you get here, for the same reason.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I said what I really meant, MM. On the off chance this is not another of your trolling posts, you paint a false dichotomy. White privilege gave me a boost - it did not make me successful. I did that. But there is no question I started at a better place than a black woman born in a Chicago project, and had advantages she will probably never have in my lifetime. And that boosted starting place and those advantages were not things I earned or merited. Recognizing it, and working to help balance the scales is what I refer to as social justice. It has nothing to do with self-loathing.
      It has everything to do with self loathing. Instead of being grateful for what you have you view it as a burden you need to unload. It's mental. I genuinely hope people like you lose every bit of material wealth you have. I think a year of two of panhandling would work miracles on your diseased mindset.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        This example is a good illustration of why I find the whole discussion largely worthless: there are a lot of potential variables (which you seem to agree with), but even this example leaves a lot of those to be desired. It still seems to boil down to "Oh, you're white and male? Boy, do you have it easy." Sure, maybe in some ways...but again, oversimplification.
        No - at no point did I say or imply that.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Did the track coach go on to explain that black people tend to do better on the track that whites? That, for example, 28 of the last 38 world record holders in the men's 100-meter have been black athletes? That they seem to have some black privilege in that respect? How bout the NBA? Should there be "social justice" adjustments to offset the "black privilege" in those sports? Of course not!
          Every analogy has its flaws. The coach's lesson was about recognizing when we have been the recipient of a benefit we had nothing to do with, and recognizing that not all of those around us are as lucky. I found the exercise poignant.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            It has everything to do with self loathing. Instead of being grateful for what you have you view it as a burden you need to unload. It's mental. I genuinely hope people like you lose every bit of material wealth you have. I think a year of two of panhandling would work miracles on your diseased mindset.
            Though it's obvious you'll never recognise it Darthy ol boy, but concerning oneself with the plight of others is not a diseased mind set, and as a social matter it isn't even altogether altruistic. Take a hint from your professed religion, or at least stop pretending to be a member to it.

Comment

• Well, I have read all of the response since my earlier posts. I'm not going to try to respond to each one. Clearly I've touched a chord of outrage and indignation. Most of the response largely miss the point of what I have been saying, and attribute a significant number of things to my posts that I simply did not put there. But my experience, thus far, is any specific explanations I try to offer are simply going to be rejected in favor of the existing narrative for each of those responding, and it's pretty much the same cast of characters, so I'm not of a mind to go back around that horn yet again.

For myself, I have no problem with recognizing and acknowledging the privileges I have in life that are none of my doing, and in recognizing that many around me do not have those privileges - or do not have them in the same degree. I have no problem with turning to those who have been more benefited by privilege for help when I could use it and am struggling to do it for myself, and turning to those less benefited by privilege to offer help when I can do so. And I believe I am responsible for helping to raise awareness when privilege becomes associated with gender, race, ethnicity, beauty, or any other human attribute, so ultimately we can all be working to, as much as possible, ensure a more level playing field in the present, but most importantly for the coming generations.

I don't have to loath myself to accept these realities or responsibilities. I simply have to be willing to think of more than just myself. It doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else, more saint or sinner (to use the local parlance), it's simply how I choose to live. I'm not sure why it's the focus of such reaction, but so be it.

I'll leave the last responses to ya'll.

Comment

Every analogy has its flaws. The coach's lesson was about recognizing when we have been the recipient of a benefit we had nothing to do with, and recognizing that not all of those around us are as lucky. I found the exercise poignant.
                I found it contrived.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, I have read all of the response since my earlier posts. I'm not going to try to respond to each one. Clearly I've touched a chord of outrage and indignation.
                  A "chord of outrage and indignation"?

Carpe, get a hold of yourself - I'm about as outraged and indignant as a puppy napping in the sunlight.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

again so what? Everyone has different circumstances in their life. Pointing it out in such a manner just breeds resentment.

I have a good friend who was "born with a silver spoon in his mouth" - rich parents, privileged life, college, etc. But he is just a nice guy who would do anything for you. He came over and cut my grass when I was ill for instance. He currently doesn't even have a job and his family's money is all gone. But he dislikes to tell anyone about his upbringing because inevitably someone will resent him for it. "spoiled rich kid" "never had to work for anything" etc. But they don't know him. The whole "privilege" mindset generalizes people, pigeonholes them into neat little boxes: white. male. rich. -- for the sole purpose of making them scapegoats for other groups problems and failures in life. "Oh it's not my fault I don't have a job, I am black/hispanic/female/etc and the white guys get all the jobs. I might as well sit on my butt and collect welfare."

Such a thing is openly racist. It is prejudice disguised as "justice" - it is no different than someone saying black people are lazy or women are too hysterical to hold down a serious job. White males have it easier than everyone else. It's pure bullcrap.

Comment

Well, I have read all of the response since my earlier posts. I'm not going to try to respond to each one. Clearly I've touched a chord of outrage and indignation. Most of the response largely miss the point of what I have been saying, and attribute a significant number of things to my posts that I simply did not put there. But my experience, thus far, is any specific explanations I try to offer are simply going to be rejected in favor of the existing narrative for each of those responding, and it's pretty much the same cast of characters, so I'm not of a mind to go back around that horn yet again.

For myself, I have no problem with recognizing and acknowledging the privileges I have in life that are none of my doing, and in recognizing that many around me do not have those privileges - or do not have them in the same degree. I have no problem with turning to those who have been more benefited by privilege for help when I could use it and am struggling to do it for myself, and turning to those less benefited by privilege to offer help when I can do so. And I believe I am responsible for helping to raise awareness when privilege becomes associated with gender, race, ethnicity, beauty, or any other human attribute, so ultimately we can all be working to, as much as possible, ensure a more level playing field in the present, but most importantly for the coming generations.

I don't have to loath myself to accept these realities or responsibilities. I simply have to be willing to think of more than just myself. It doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else, more saint or sinner (to use the local parlance), it's simply how I choose to live. I'm not sure why it's the focus of such reaction, but so be it.

I'll leave the last responses to ya'll.
                      This is basically what you did when the discussion about Hillary's possible guilt came up--you effectively concluded that everyone who disagreed with you only did it because they hated Hillary.

Speaking of dismissiveness....

Edit: As well, "outrage and indignation"? I'm not outraged.
                      Last edited by Zymologist; 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Though it's obvious you'll never recognise it Darthy ol boy, but concerning oneself with the plight of others is not a diseased mind set, and as a social matter it isn't even altogether altruistic.
                        You can concern yourself with the plight of others without self flagellating (or worse, demanding others self flagellate).

Take a hint from your professed religion, or at least stop pretending to be a member to it.
                        the-typical-liberal-argument_t3.jpg

Comment

There's nothing "poignant" about promoting bigotry, division, class envy, and denying people the respect they are due for their accomplishments when you can whittle away at their supposed "privilege" and reduce them to nothing. It's a very ugly lesson to teach.

"Take two steps forward if you're white. Take ten steps forward if you're black and will benefit from affirmative action because liberals don't think you're able to make it on your own without their help."
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Clearly I've touched a chord of outrage and indignation.
                            That's known as projection. It's a product of the self-loathing we've been talking about.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              You can concern yourself with the plight of others without self flagellating (or worse, demanding others self flagellate).
                              Yep, so who is self flagellating or demanding that others do? I think you're a bit delusional Darth.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Yep, so who is self flagellating or demanding that others do? I think you're a bit delusional Darth.
                                carpedm and liberals in general do. go play dumb somewhere else

Comment