Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump Resign Over "Hellhole" Comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Essentially "basically accurate" means that it's not what was said but was pretty close.
    Or, in the case of you 'splainin' things to Mom, it means she left out one tiny insignificant detail, which you interpret as making her version "basically accurate", but not justifying a whoopin'.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Essentially "basically accurate" means that it's not what was said but was pretty close.
      It means "It's not what was actually said, but it's how I interpreted it."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Turkeys of a feather flock together.
        I know "Turkeys" is correct grammar, but that's one of those words that just flat out looks wrong!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Or, in the case of you 'splainin' things to Mom, it means she left out one tiny insignificant detail, which you interpret as making her version "basically accurate", but not justifying a whoopin'.
          "You told me to wipe the crumbs off the counter, but you never said don't wipe them onto the floor."
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "You told me to wipe the crumbs off the counter, but you never said don't wipe them onto the floor."
            EGGzackly.... or, better... "You told me not to get my clothes wet - you never said I couldn't go swimmin' nekked!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It means "It's not what was actually said, but it's how I interpreted it."
              Sort of how the supposed "fact checkers" operate. Instead of examining what was actually said, decide what you think it means and "fact check" that instead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                Except he din't say hellhole. I have local radio personalities who were Trump supporters calling for Trump to resign... Is it racist, or factual?
                No - he shouldn't resign, IMO
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  No - he shouldn't resign, IMO
                  At least not for that.

Comment

At least not for that.
                    I don't really want him to resign, or be impeached, for anything. I want him to run in 2020, as the head of the Republican ticket.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I don't really want him to resign, or be impeached, for anything. I want him to run in 2020, as the head of the Republican ticket.
                      You're one of those guys who tells person A in a bar that person B called person A's momma a floozie!

Comment

You're one of those guys who tells person A in a bar that person B called person A's momma a floozie!
                        I'm not sure what you mean.

My desire for Trump to remain in office and run for re-election is based on my expectation that a president with such low approval ratings, who has alienated so many groups, has almost no chance of being re-elected. I believe THAT is important so we can maintain a balance on SCOTUS. Right now, Republicans hold a trifecta at the federal level, and are close to skewing SCOTUS to the right as well. I do not believe that is healthy for our country. Because the mext most likely retirements on SCOTUS are liberal, my hope is that a democratic president in 2020 will preserve the current 4-1-4 balance of that court, and begin the process of restoring balance at the lower judicial levels, which are skewing badly to the right.

My fear is that the rebound will be so extreme that, by the end of 2020, everything will have shifted to the left, creating the opposite problem from what we have today. At that point, if that happens, I will be chearing on (and voting for) Republicans to try to restore something of a balance. I believe our government works best with a balance of views, and bi-partisan engagement between opposing viewpoints. That is missing today.

Much as I loath Mr. Trump, I believe we have to tolerate his immaturity and childishness until the next election cycle. Perhaps, in that process, we will learn something about electing people with an actual aptitude for the position.

Comment

Much as I loath Mr. Trump, I believe we have to tolerate his immaturity and childishness until the next election cycle. Perhaps, in that process, we will learn something about electing people with an actual aptitude for the position.
                          I sure hope so. Good points by the way.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

my hope is that a democratic president in 2020 will preserve the current 4-1-4 balance of that court, and begin the process of restoring balance at the lower judicial levels, which are skewing badly to the right.
                            Actually they are skewed badly to the left. But being badly skewed to the right is how they should be given that liberals shamelessly legislate from the bench to a far larger degree than conservatives. Of course you're a fake moderate, not a real one so that's actually a bug in the con you're trying to run.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Actually they are skewed badly to the left. But being badly skewed to the right is how they should be given that liberals shamelessly legislate from the bench to a far larger degree than conservatives. Of course you're a fake moderate, not a real one so that's actually a bug in the con you're trying to run.
                              I have not found that left or right "legislate" from the bench at any significantly different levels. As for the con... you're opinion is duly noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                White evangelical voted for 'literally Hitler' every since Reagan, but keep crying!!!
                                Demi, conservatives here probably don't appreciate the fact that a Russian propagandist is on their side. You're exposing them.

Comment