Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dark Night of the Soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by element771 View Post
    Some times this serves to be a source of doubt for me.

I have no idea why since popular opinion doesn't have anything to do with truth.

I guess I just wonder if religion is just a phase and nothing beyond that.
    I get that, but we're warned that "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." I think this is one of the reasons it's so important that we have solid Christian alliances.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of music are you listening to? Music has a very powerful influence over us, and in times of doubt or weakness, I always turn back to the music that inspires and uplifts.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and kinds words. This is honestly eating me up inside and I can't seem to shake it.

Does it bother anyone else that unbelief is on the rise and that secularization is continually expanding? I realize that the net population of believers is increasing but it seems like secularization is inevitable (see Europe, US).

The reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if religion is just a growth period of modernity and that after it has served its use, it will be discarded.
      The bible tells us to expect such things. for instance 2 Thes 2:2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ[a] had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin[b] is revealed, the son of perdition,

and 2 Tim 4:4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

All the more reason to remain faithful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I get that, but we're warned that "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." I think this is one of the reasons it's so important that we have solid Christian alliances.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of music are you listening to? Music has a very powerful influence over us, and in times of doubt or weakness, I always turn back to the music that inspires and uplifts.
        I am not currently listening to any music just theological sermons and podcasts.

As far as falling away, I don't think that I can....I have tried in the past. I tried to be an atheist and it just didn't make sense to me. I don't know what it is. I can't explain it.

Its funny because the question ringing in my head is not whether I believe, but the fear that I am wrong and will return to the dust one day, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The bible tells us to expect such things. for instance 2 Thes 2:2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ[a] had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin[b] is revealed, the son of perdition,

and 2 Tim 4:4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

All the more reason to remain faithful.
          Thank you for the quote, I forgot about that passage.

I intend to remain faithful...I guess I am just yearning for peace in my convictions.

Besides, if I were to give up the faith...my wife would call me an idiot (not that she hasn't already for doubting...lol)

Comment

Thank you for the quote, I forgot about that passage.

I intend to remain faithful...I guess I am just yearning for peace in my convictions.

Besides, if I were to give up the faith...my wife would call me an idiot (not that she hasn't already for doubting...lol)
            yeah I know exactly what you mean and feel. I have times of that kind of doubt too. I could never give up my faith, but I do wonder what if I am wrong? I think everyone does. That is why it is called "faith" and not "knowledge" - we can never know 100% but we trust that God is real and we will be saved. That is why I was talking earlier about contemplating nature and reading apologetic books, because they help to dispel those kind of doubts. To me just looking at all of those billions of stars in the sky and all of the complexity of life just makes me go, "no way that all just happened by accident - someone is behind it all"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              yeah I know exactly what you mean and feel. I have times of that kind of doubt too. I could never give up my faith, but I do wonder what if I am wrong? I think everyone does. That is why it is called "faith" and not "knowledge" - we can never know 100% but we trust that God is real and we will be saved. That is why I was talking earlier about contemplating nature and reading apologetic books, because they help to dispel those kind of doubts. To me just looking at all of those billions of stars in the sky and all of the complexity of life just makes me go, "no way that all just happened by accident - someone is behind it all"
              I became a scientist because of this very reason. I never understood how people think that science leads to atheism.

I took an advanced immunology class. The complexity was mind boggling...and that is just one of many systems in the body. I am a theistic evolutionist (full disclosure) and have always thought....Why would the universe have laws that would even allow a bunch of carbon atoms to evolve into something that can contemplate its own existence?

To me, this is why I couldn't fall away. Every fiber in my being thinks that our life giving universe is a lot more than a "happy accident".

Comment

I became a scientist because of this very reason. I never understood how people think that science leads to atheism.

I took an advanced immunology class. The complexity was mind boggling...and that is just one of many systems in the body. I am a theistic evolutionist (full disclosure) and have always thought....Why would the universe have laws that would even allow a bunch of carbon atoms to evolve into something that can contemplate its own existence?

To me, this is why I couldn't fall away. Every fiber in my being thinks that our life giving universe is a lot more than a "happy accident".
                Interesting - that's worth its own thread.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hey element! Good to see you as always. While I think the intellectual aspects of faith help us get to a certain line, and continue to help us as we mature and grow in Christ, you can't rely on intellectual fulfillment alone to convince you that Christianity is true. True faith doesn't come through mere intellectual assent, but through trust. Trust that Christ is who he says he is, and that God will do what he says he will do for those who have made Jesus Lord. You can go your entire life playing this game of stop and go, worrying, and wondering from time to time if you're wrong, or if you've made the right choice, or if you're wasting all your time on this God stuff, or you can instead walk out in faith in boldness that God is powerfully real, that Jesus is risen, that he has the power to change lives, including your own, and that there is something momentus and glorious awaiting us all. Life really does have meaning and purpose; It really does. And that purpose is found in Christ.

When you go through these periods of doubt, turn off all of that silly theist vs. atheist debate nonsense. Unplug from the internet, and even message forums like this. They're not going to encourage you. All they're going to do is make you feel more anxious. Be anxious for nothing. Fill your thoughts with works that are uplifting. Read some N.T. Wright, C.S. Lewis, John Lennox, Ravi Zacharias, and the like. Start getting into some praise and worship music, and get involved in your church. CP's advice to make what you know practical by helping others is fantastic. Often times it's when left to our own devices that we allow those thoughts, fears and concerns of this world system into our head. Getting involved and helping others is a good cure for that, and often help us find the comfort and answers we ourselves were looking for.

Comment

exactly from the galactic scale and how everything worked out to create stars, fusion, gravity etc down to seeing how complex a living cell is, then down to the quantum level and how all that works, it seems impossible for it all to have arose simply by accident over time. I would expect pure chaos as a result, or nothing at all. Even if you believe in evolution, you can't believe that all of those 'accidents' just lined up in a row and produced what we have today. Something had to guide it. Someone.

Comment

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and kinds words. This is honestly eating me up inside and I can't seem to shake it.

Does it bother anyone else that unbelief is on the rise and that secularization is continually expanding? I realize that the net population of believers is increasing but it seems like secularization is inevitable (see Europe, US).

The reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if religion is just a growth period of modernity and that after it has served its use, it will be discarded.
                      It doesn't bother me that much. I mean, I wish it were otherwise, but truth isn't based on majority rule. God is still as powerful as he has always been, and his Will will be accomplished whether anyone wants it to be or not. I have trust that He knows what He's doing. Furthermore, this isn't the first time Christianity has gone through this. If the early Christians could live, and even flourish under Roman rule and persecution for the first 300 years, we'll do fine. Continued secularization is simply separating the chaff from the wheat. Nominal Christianity has been a huge issue in the church for ages...probably since the 4th century. We're finally seeing people's real stripes. As faithful Christians continue to show Christ in the way they live, and how they treat others, people will naturally be attracted to our light. I'm already beginning to see a sort of fatigue in a lot of Millenials who want something more than the naturalist and hedonist philosophies they've been taught to embrace in their social circles, academia, and popular media. Nature hates a vacuum, and they're ready for something to fill that God shaped void in their hearts. If it's not Christianity it'll be some other sort of religion or spiritualism. We just need to be there when that happens so that we can plant a seed, and God can see the increase.

Comment

Some times this serves to be a source of doubt for me.

I have no idea why since popular opinion doesn't have anything to do with truth.

I guess I just wonder if religion is just a phase that societies go through and nothing beyond that.
                        Our battle is not one of flesh and blood. We're in spiritual warfare. Satan's tactics might have changed a bit, but there's nothing really new under the sun. I'd rather things be right in the open, rather than people pretending to go along with it, and yet not really be that interested. I don't know how many people I knew years back would tell me when asked "yeah, I'm a Christian," and by that they meant that "yeah, I was raised to say I was a Christian," but not know much more about Jesus than that he was a guy with a beard that lived in heaven, and that if you were really good, he would check your name off on a list like Santa Claus admitting you to heaven to live in the clouds with your dead relatives. Concepts like faith, sacrifice, grace, salvation, righteousness, the resurrection, the Kingdom of Heaven, and the like were completely lost on them. Now they're just more obvious about it. You ask them if they're a Christian, and you get a straight "no", or "I don't care about all of that spiritual stuff that much".

Comment

I am an elder at our current Church and try to do as much as I can.
                          That sounds like a problem with me back in the 1970s. less than a decade after I had become a Christian. I was in a sound Bible teaching church, strong on teaching and getting involved. I was getting involved in a lot, and many people looked up to me as an example of a spiritual Christian because I was doing so much.

I was heavily into the Bible, but it was like a bad diet of good food. I was heavy into history and doctrine, but not reading it as God's love letter to me. It was just like reading a college textbook.
                          Eventually I realized that I was spiritually weak because of that. I fit well into the description Jesus gave to the Church of Ephesus,

"'I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place--unless you repent.'" (Rev 2:2-5)
                          Jesus's solution was "...remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first.'" (Rev 2:2-5)

In ten days from now it will be exactly fifty years ago that I received the Lord Jesus. I remember fighting it for months, then finally I gave in, sat down on this wire-framed chair with a table top that had a telephone, called a classmate and she led me to the Lord. (In fact, I found her address on the internet, clear across the other side of the country, and mailed her a thank you card.) But I remember years later, when I was under a heavy burden, there was that table in the attic at my parents' home. I sat down on it and poured my heart out to the Lord. It really worked.

I remember a sermon by John R. Rice, "Come Back to Betel." It described Jacob's first encounter with God at Bethel, and how he left a stone there as a memorial to his experience. It was many decades later, that God called him to return to that place where he first experienced God.

Maybe this works.
                          When I Survey....

Comment

About a week ago, I just had an uneasy feeling. I kept thinking...what if I am wrong? How can I really believe this stuff? This is too good to be true.
                            Consider 1 Corinthians 1:25 - "For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. " While Christianity is rather foolish, it is far above the alternative that this just happens to be what is.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              My best advice from personal experience is stop focusing so much on yourself, and employ that simple little mnemonic / acronym "JOY" - Jesus, Others, You....

It sounds like you're attempting to get plenty of "input" (remember Johnny 5? ) but there needs to be outflow... somewhere you put your learning and "input" to use.

In a field next to my former Church is what we used to call "scum pond" -- it lay in a low area, and had several inlets of water when it rained, but there was nowhere for the water to go, so it sat there and stagnated. Over time, it built up a layer of scum over it, and was just a black cesspool.

I think our lives can become like that -- we keep "taking in" but we don't do so good "giving out". Be involved in actual ministry - teach a Bible study - volunteer in a soup kitchen - be the hands and feet of Jesus.

And - people laugh at me when I say this - but read the Bible out loud. "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". Seriously, when you read out loud, you're employing more of your brain and senses, and you'll get more from it.

Be not hearers of the Word only, but be a doer.

Would love to follow up on this.
                              I agree with the Poker of Cows. I get frustrated when I can't find a way to out flow to others. Its something I'm working on now.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

You have described today's world very well. I have found reflecting on the ups and downs as recorded in the book of Judges helps. The idea that religion will fade away is certainly not new. Certainly it would seem that revivals can't occur in periods of strong religious beliefs. Unfortunately, we are living in a down slope period which admittedly is no fun. It will change.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9. Some knowledge of history does help give perspective on this.
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment