Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dark Night of the Soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Night of the Soul

Hi All,

It has been a while since I last posted here and I come back at a time of what I suspect is spiritual weakness.

I have been in this place before. Last time, I basically read everything I could get my hands on which ultimately convinced me that Christianity was indeed true. I them proceeded to post here and other places where I would regularly engage atheists and skeptics. Their arguments never bothered me then, I am not sure what is going on now.

About a week ago, I just had an uneasy feeling. I kept thinking...what if I am wrong? How can I really believe this stuff? This is too good to be true.

I really don't know what started it....perhaps it was the beginning of a new year and I am turning 40.

It sucks because my life could not be going any better. I am so thankful for the many blessings that have been bestowed on me and my family.

To be honest, I really don't know why I am posting this. I figured maybe I should reach out to the people that helped shape my faith in the first place.

I just have so many questions now. Questions that I thought I had dealt with or been answered.

Anyway, thank any one who reads and responds to this. I would appreciate any advice that anyone may have.

Best,

E771

Try reading Ecclesiastes.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My best advice from personal experience is stop focusing so much on yourself, and employ that simple little mnemonic / acronym "JOY" - Jesus, Others, You....

It sounds like you're attempting to get plenty of "input" (remember Johnny 5? ) but there needs to be outflow... somewhere you put your learning and "input" to use.

In a field next to my former Church is what we used to call "scum pond" -- it lay in a low area, and had several inlets of water when it rained, but there was nowhere for the water to go, so it sat there and stagnated. Over time, it built up a layer of scum over it, and was just a black cesspool.

I think our lives can become like that -- we keep "taking in" but we don't do so good "giving out". Be involved in actual ministry - teach a Bible study - volunteer in a soup kitchen - be the hands and feet of Jesus.

And - people laugh at me when I say this - but read the Bible out loud. "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". Seriously, when you read out loud, you're employing more of your brain and senses, and you'll get more from it.

Be not hearers of the Word only, but be a doer.

Would love to follow up on this.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

welcome back Element771

I think everyone goes through periods of doubt. Besides talking to other Christians, I find that reading the bible helps. Just read the New Testament through from start to finish. I also like reading books like "The case for Christ" and "Mere Christianity" to help me refocus my faith. They go through the "arguments" showing that Christianity is not only reasonable but true. Finally I find comfort in just going out and contemplating Nature and how wonderful this universe and planet are and how it could not be an accident. No accident would be this perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          My best advice from personal experience is stop focusing so much on yourself, and employ that simple little mnemonic / acronym "JOY" - Jesus, Others, You....

It sounds like you're attempting to get plenty of "input" (remember Johnny 5? ) but there needs to be outflow... somewhere you put your learning and "input" to use.

In a field next to my former Church is what we used to call "scum pond" -- it lay in a low area, and had several inlets of water when it rained, but there was nowhere for the water to go, so it sat there and stagnated. Over time, it built up a layer of scum over it, and was just a black cesspool.

I think our lives can become like that -- we keep "taking in" but we don't do so good "giving out". Be involved in actual ministry - teach a Bible study - volunteer in a soup kitchen - be the hands and feet of Jesus.

And - people laugh at me when I say this - but read the Bible out loud. "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". Seriously, when you read out loud, you're employing more of your brain and senses, and you'll get more from it.

Yes. I know when I volunteer at church or make it a point to help others, I find my faith strengthens. I myself haven't done much in this area lately and need to reconnect again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yes. I know when I volunteer at church or make it a point to help others, I find my faith strengthens. I myself haven't done much in this area lately and need to reconnect again.
            I think I've mentioned this before, but something I noticed 15 or 20 years ago was that the "liberal" churches seemed to be involved in all kinds of "social gospel" stuff, and the "conservative" churches were more focused on theology and inerrancy and stuff like that. It really woke me up that we could do both.

So, I have always led churches where I serve to get involved in community stuff, and "heavy on the doing", not just hearing.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think I've mentioned this before, but something I noticed 15 or 20 years ago was that the "liberal" churches seemed to be involved in all kinds of "social gospel" stuff, and the "conservative" churches were more focused on theology and inerrancy and stuff like that. It really woke me up that we could do both.

So, I have always led churches where I serve to get involved in community stuff, and "heavy on the doing", not just hearing.
              Our church had a clinic day each year where they would get doctors, nurses and dentists to volunteer to do free medical clinics for people who could not afford it. At the same time they did food and clothing pantries. And in addition to all of the people running the clinics and pantries they had "advocates" and counselors that would meet each person as they came into the area and take them personally through all of the stations, and ask them if their was anything they could answer for them about Jesus or anything they would like to pray about. I used to be one of the advocates. The very first person I ever led to Christ was at one of those clinics. Then life happened (you know some of what I am talking about) , then I moved away from that church, and I was unable to do it any more. But I think I need to go find something like that again.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Try reading Ecclesiastes.
                will do thanks!

Comment

I am an elder at our current Church and try to do as much as I can.

Perhaps you are right though. I have always been good at figuring stuff out from a head perspective, but I have to admit that I have trouble with the heart perspective.

I will try reading out loud to help, I have done this with drafts of manuscripts and it does help to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    welcome back Element771

I think everyone goes through periods of doubt. Besides talking to other Christians, I find that reading the bible helps. Just read the New Testament through from start to finish. I also like reading books like "The case for Christ" and "Mere Christianity" to help me refocus my faith. They go through the "arguments" showing that Christianity is not only reasonable but true. Finally I find comfort in just going out and contemplating Nature and how wonderful this universe and planet are and how it could not be an accident. No accident would be this perfect.
                    Thanks Sparko.

I have an audio version of Mere Christianity that I play ofter while working. I started reading the NT already and will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                      I am an elder at our current Church and try to do as much as I can.

Perhaps you are right though. I have always been good at figuring stuff out from a head perspective, but I have to admit that I have trouble with the heart perspective.

I will try reading out loud to help, I have done this with drafts of manuscripts and it does help to hear it.
                      We know that from a physiological standpoint, it absolutely helps to involve more of your senses. Then, on top of that, we have that promise from God's Word that "faith comes by hearing".

You're on my prayer list, whether you wanna be or not.

Comment

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and kinds words. This is honestly eating me up inside and I can't seem to shake it.

Does it bother anyone else that unbelief is on the rise and that secularization is continually expanding? I realize that the net population of believers is increasing but it seems like secularization is inevitable (see Europe, US).

The reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if religion is just a growth period of modernity and that after it has served its use, it will be discarded.

Comment

We know that from a physiological standpoint, it absolutely helps to involve more of your senses. Then, on top of that, we have that promise from God's Word that "faith comes by hearing".

You're on my prayer list, whether you wanna be or not.
                          Thank you CP.

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                            Thanks everyone for their suggestions and kinds words. This is honestly eating me up inside and I can't seem to shake it.

Does it bother anyone else that unbelief is on the rise and that secularization is continually expanding? I realize that the net population of believers is increasing but it seems like secularization is inevitable (see Europe, US).

The reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if religion is just a growth period of modernity and that after it has served its use, it will be discarded.
                            I'm concerned, yes, and am always praying for another Great Awakening. Meanwhile, my marching orders are live long and prosper "occupy til I come".

Comment

I'm concerned, yes, and am always praying for another Great Awakening. Meanwhile, my marching orders are live long and prosper "occupy til I come".
                              Some times this serves to be a source of doubt for me.

I have no idea why since popular opinion doesn't have anything to do with truth.

I guess I just wonder if religion is just a phase that societies go through and nothing beyond that.
                              Last edited by element771; 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment