Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Night of the Soul

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post
    I am an elder at our current Church and try to do as much as I can.

Perhaps you are right though. I have always been good at figuring stuff out from a head perspective, but I have to admit that I have trouble with the heart perspective.

I will try reading out loud to help, I have done this with drafts of manuscripts and it does help to hear it.
    We know that from a physiological standpoint, it absolutely helps to involve more of your senses. Then, on top of that, we have that promise from God's Word that "faith comes by hearing".

You're on my prayer list, whether you wanna be or not.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen element771 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks everyone for their suggestions and kinds words. This is honestly eating me up inside and I can't seem to shake it.

Does it bother anyone else that unbelief is on the rise and that secularization is continually expanding? I realize that the net population of believers is increasing but it seems like secularization is inevitable (see Europe, US).

The reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if religion is just a growth period of modernity and that after it has served its use, it will be discarded.

4. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We know that from a physiological standpoint, it absolutely helps to involve more of your senses. Then, on top of that, we have that promise from God's Word that "faith comes by hearing".

You're on my prayer list, whether you wanna be or not.
    Thank you CP.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks everyone for their suggestions and kinds words. This is honestly eating me up inside and I can't seem to shake it.

Does it bother anyone else that unbelief is on the rise and that secularization is continually expanding? I realize that the net population of believers is increasing but it seems like secularization is inevitable (see Europe, US).

The reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if religion is just a growth period of modernity and that after it has served its use, it will be discarded.
    I'm concerned, yes, and am always praying for another Great Awakening. Meanwhile, my marching orders are live long and prosper "occupy til I come".

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm concerned, yes, and am always praying for another Great Awakening. Meanwhile, my marching orders are live long and prosper "occupy til I come".
    Some times this serves to be a source of doubt for me.

I have no idea why since popular opinion doesn't have anything to do with truth.

I guess I just wonder if religion is just a phase that societies go through and nothing beyond that.
    Last edited by element771; 01-12-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some times this serves to be a source of doubt for me.

I have no idea why since popular opinion doesn't have anything to do with truth.

I guess I just wonder if religion is just a phase and nothing beyond that.
    I get that, but we're warned that "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." I think this is one of the reasons it's so important that we have solid Christian alliances.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of music are you listening to? Music has a very powerful influence over us, and in times of doubt or weakness, I always turn back to the music that inspires and uplifts.

9. Amen Adrift, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The bible tells us to expect such things. for instance 2 Thes 2:2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ[a] had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin[b] is revealed, the son of perdition,

and 2 Tim 4:4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

All the more reason to remain faithful.

11. Amen Cow Poke, element771, Adrift, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I get that, but we're warned that "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." I think this is one of the reasons it's so important that we have solid Christian alliances.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of music are you listening to? Music has a very powerful influence over us, and in times of doubt or weakness, I always turn back to the music that inspires and uplifts.
    I am not currently listening to any music just theological sermons and podcasts.

As far as falling away, I don't think that I can....I have tried in the past. I tried to be an atheist and it just didn't make sense to me. I don't know what it is. I can't explain it.

Its funny because the question ringing in my head is not whether I believe, but the fear that I am wrong and will return to the dust one day, if you will.

13. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The bible tells us to expect such things. for instance 2 Thes 2:2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ[a] had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin[b] is revealed, the son of perdition,

and 2 Tim 4:4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

All the more reason to remain faithful.
    Thank you for the quote, I forgot about that passage.

I intend to remain faithful...I guess I am just yearning for peace in my convictions.

Besides, if I were to give up the faith...my wife would call me an idiot (not that she hasn't already for doubting...lol)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thank you for the quote, I forgot about that passage.

I intend to remain faithful...I guess I am just yearning for peace in my convictions.

Besides, if I were to give up the faith...my wife would call me an idiot (not that she hasn't already for doubting...lol)
    yeah I know exactly what you mean and feel. I have times of that kind of doubt too. I could never give up my faith, but I do wonder what if I am wrong? I think everyone does. That is why it is called "faith" and not "knowledge" - we can never know 100% but we trust that God is real and we will be saved. That is why I was talking earlier about contemplating nature and reading apologetic books, because they help to dispel those kind of doubts. To me just looking at all of those billions of stars in the sky and all of the complexity of life just makes me go, "no way that all just happened by accident - someone is behind it all"