Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is The Bible Literally True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Only God truly understands exactly how the human brain works.
    Granted - one wonders if He sometimes wishes He didn't, though...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
      The passage of Deuteronomy 20:16-17 is an example of war rhetoric There are many Near Eastern text that use such language https://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/...-stele-faq.htm.

Second the goal was to drive them out of the land and various text foretell that (Exodus 34:11; 33:2). So again your claim on this text fails.
      You are mistaken again because there is nothing rhetoric above as God said in Deut 20:16-18 as follows:

"16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...20&version=NIV

Comment

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
        You are mistaken again because there is nothing rhetoric above as God said in Deut 20:16-18 as follows:

"16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...20&version=NIV
        That IS war rhetoric.

The obvious question becomes - why do these peoples, seeing the Israelite army approaching and knowing what will happen, stay? It seems unlikely that town after town falls but folks just hang around to see if the Israelites will keep coming.

Israel is the priesthood nation - it must not be corrupted. Therefore, the Promised Land is a special case, never seen before or since.
        Last edited by Teallaura; 07-27-2019, 11:31 AM.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          That IS war rhetoric.

The obvious question becomes - why do these peoples, seeing the Israelite army approaching and knowing what will happen, stay? It seems unlikely that town after town falls but folks just hang around to see if the Israelites will keep coming.

Israel is the priesthood nation - it must not be corrupted. Therefore, the Promised Land is a special case, never seen before or since.
          Still the problem of God commanding to kill infants and children does not here at Deut 20. The Bible continues to mention that God commands to kill infants in 1 Samuel 15:3 and children in Ezk 9:6.
          Last edited by Same Hakeem; 08-02-2019, 04:49 AM.

Comment

That IS war rhetoric.
            So, it wasn't the words/commands of god as the bible states?
            Maybe because it was their homeland which they thought worthy of fighting for. Or perhaps they didn't realize what an immoral, brutal, bloodthirsty bunch the Israelites were.
            They were already corrupted as shown by the actions they took. Their plan was to take all these lands, and kill all the inhabitants thereof. Can't get any more immoral or corrupt than that.

Comment

• Jim according to Naturalism as Dawkins says, that's just the way nature is, and we expect to find such, the universe does not care. And according to Darwinism its just how it is. So why do you care?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                So, it wasn't the words/commands of god as the bible states?
                Yup - that doesn't make it any the less war rhetoric, does it?

Maybe because it was their homeland which they thought worthy of fighting for. Or perhaps they didn't realize what an immoral, brutal, bloodthirsty bunch the Israelites were.
                Maybe God, Creator of the Universe, has proprietary right?

Actually, the story of Jericho gives us a BIG clue here - a prostitute in Jericho had heard the Israelites were coming - likely, so had absolutely everybody else. As towns fall - like Jericho - do you stay and hope your town is different, or do you leave and let the Israelites have the danged thing? My hypothesis is that the war rhetoric is so violent because it saves lives in the long run - on both sides.

They were already corrupted as shown by the actions they took. Their plan was to take all these lands, and kill all the inhabitants thereof. Can't get any more immoral or corrupt than that.
                The lands belonged to them - I don't recall a bill of sale granting proprietary rights to any person from God, do you? God, the legal owner, says it's yours to live in, well, that means it's yours to live in.

But let's look at it from the human side. They can't beat Egypt. They will starve if they don't find a place to settle. And there are huge numbers of people depending on that - is it moral for a leadership to let their own die?

No, Israel wasn't corrupt - that's just your standard being retroactively applied.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Still the problem of God commanding to kill infants and children does not here at Deut 20. The Bible continues to mention that God commands to kill infants in 1 Samuel 15:3 and children in Ezk 9:6.
                  So, you really don't understand anything about it at all, do you? I gave you the answer - why is it that you don't understand?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• contradictions.jpg

Comment

So, you really don't understand anything about it at all, do you? I gave you the answer - why is it that you don't understand?
                      He has a pattern of being told the answer to his contradiction and simply repeating the original contradiction claim... over and over again. I don't know if there's a language barrier or just stupidity.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        He has a pattern of being told the answer to his contradiction and simply repeating the original contradiction claim... over and over again. I don't know if there's a language barrier or just stupidity.
                        Eh, I figured him for a troll.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Not to mention the fact the Canaanites probably saw the visible signs of Yahweh ie the Shekinah Cloud, and Rahab even told the Israelites that they heard the reports of what happened in Egypt (Joshua 2:9-10), so it is not like they were ignorant of the events. Let's also not forget they didn't attack directly, they waited 7 days (Joshua 6:4). There are various factors that critics tend to leave out. Not to mention Jericho was a village and not a highly populated area, in fact it was most likely a military garrison. These nations were engaging in human sacrifices to false gods. I find it funny that skeptics whine about the problem of evil, yet in the same breath decry on how God deals with it.
                          Last edited by ReformedApologist; 08-02-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I understand what you tried to explain but I do not buy what you wrote. Writing is easy.

I will help you. God is just according to Hebrews 6:10 but God commanded to kill infants in 1 Sam 15:3 and children in Ezk 9:6. It is a contradiction.

Comment

I understand what you tried to explain but I do not buy what you wrote. Writing is easy.

I will help you. God is just according to Hebrews 6:10 but God commanded to kill infants in 1 Sam 15:3 and children in Ezk 9:6. It is a contradiction.
                              Demonstrate that understanding and write a refutation. Then, and only then, will we consider that you might have an argument here.

Otherwise, you're just trolling.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• God has attributes in the Bible. One of his attributes is just according to Hebrews 6:10. So how can God be just and command to kill infants in 1 Samuel 15:3? God cannot be just and order to infants.
                                Last edited by Same Hakeem; 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment