Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is The Bible Literally True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    God has attributes in the Bible. One of his attributes is just according to Hebrews 6:10. So how can God be just and command to kill infants in 1 Samuel 15:3? God cannot be just and order to infants.
    Er, wait, you are actually trying to argue that God, Who created the universe, us included, does not have the right to take the life He CREATED!? You are arguing that death itself is unjust.

FYI: That doesn't come close to refuting the actual argument.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Er, wait, you are actually trying to argue that God, Who created the universe, us included, does not have the right to take the life He CREATED!? You are arguing that death itself is unjust.

We have pointed this out to him before. And that Allah also takes lives and even commands people be killed in his name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        We have pointed this out to him before. And that Allah also takes lives and even commands people be killed in his name.
        I figured as much but decided not to take that tack. However, the same argument would be true of allah - if he is sovereign god, he has the right to take life.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I figured as much but decided not to take that tack. However, the same argument would be true of allah - if he is sovereign god, he has the right to take life.
          Having a right to do an injustice doesn't make it just. Your argument amounts to asserting that for god what is just is the subjective arbitrary decision of a King. If that be the case, then please inform seer that there is no such thing as a devine, objective moral standard.
          Last edited by JimL; 08-02-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Having a right to do an injustice doesn't make it just. Your argument amounts to asserting that for god what is just is the subjective arbitrary decision of a King. If that be the case, then please inform seer that there is no such thing as a devine, objective moral standard.
            Jim, that's literally irrational - if you have the right to do X it cannot be unjust to exercise that right.

And it wouldn't affect Seer's argument at all - God is still well within His own standard - there's nothing unjust about exercising an actual right.

A farmer doesn't commit animal cruelty when he wrings a hen's neck - he has every legal right to kill his livestock. God has every right to decide matters of life and death - there is nothing inherently unjust about Him doing so.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I guess God is according to him limited by the power of his creation. According to the Quran all commands are based on Allah's decrees and not human choices, so how does that help his argument? in Islam everything is Allah's will.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
                I guess God is according to him limited by the power of his creation. According to the Quran all commands are based on Allah's decrees and not human choices, so how does that help his argument? in Islam everything is Allah's will.
                It actually would be a pretty damning argument against islam - I mean, if it were at all rational. But if you start with the premise that islam might be true, the argument immediately fails - for the same reason it can't work here.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not true. As I wrote, the Bible says "God is not unjust" in Hebrews 6:10 and God commanded in 2 Kings 14:6 that "the son shall not bear the sin of the father, everyone shall die for his own sin" but God commands to kill infants and children in 1 Sam 15:3 and Ezk 9:6 respectively.

Your reasoning is contradicted by the verses of the Bible.

Comment

God has attributes in the Bible. One of his attributes is just according to Hebrews 6:10. So how can God be just and command to kill infants in 1 Samuel 15:3? God cannot be just and order to infants.
                    Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
                    Not true. As I wrote, the Bible says "God is not unjust" in Hebrews 6:10 and God commanded in 2 Kings 14:6 that "the son shall not bear the sin of the father, everyone shall die for his own sin" but God commands to kill infants and children in 1 Sam 15:3 and Ezk 9:6 respectively.

Your reasoning is contradicted by the verses of the Bible.
                    Not MY reasoning - you were the one asking how God could be just when He is sovereign...

You're not very good at this - it takes time to learn how to use and apply logic. You don't seem to have much practice. Next time, think about what exactly you are talking about and how it is supposed to be/work before trying to 'catch' someone else's error. Also, it's very foolish to try and fool God - or to mock Him. Be careful - God is not mocked.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not MY reasoning - you were the one asking how God could be just when He is sovereign...

You're not very good at this - it takes time to learn how to use and apply logic. You don't seem to have much practice. Next time, think about what exactly you are talking about and how it is supposed to be/work before trying to 'catch' someone else's error. Also, it's very foolish to try and fool God - or to mock Him. Be careful - God is not mocked.
                      God is truly just. However, such just God COMMANDED to KILL INFANTS in 1 Sam 15:3 and CHILDREN in Ezk 9:6 and commanded that "the son shall not bear the sin of the father. Each is to die for his own sin" in 2 Kings 14:6. It is a contradiction logically and biblically.

Comment

Jim, that's literally irrational - if you have the right to do X it cannot be unjust to exercise that right.

And it wouldn't affect Seer's argument at all - God is still well within His own standard - there's nothing unjust about exercising an actual right.

A farmer doesn't commit animal cruelty when he wrings a hen's neck - he has every legal right to kill his livestock. God has every right to decide matters of life and death - there is nothing inherently unjust about Him doing so.
                        But Same Hakeem has already shown to you that the bible contradicts your view. Justice is either objective or arbitrarily subjective. Your argument is that it is arbitrarily subjective in accordance with the arbitrary will of a god.
                        And yes, it does contradict seers absolute objective moral standard. If it is arbitrary and subjective from the perspective of a god, then there can be no absolute objective moral standard. Like god, it would at times be moral to murder the innocent, and at times it would be immoral and we humans would have no way of knowing which is which.

Comment

But Same Hakeem has already shown to you that the bible contradicts your view. Justice is either objective or arbitrarily subjective. Your argument is that it is arbitrarily subjective in accordance with the arbitrary will of a god.
                          And yes, it does contradict seers absolute objective moral standard. If it is arbitrary and subjective from the perspective of a god, then there can be no absolute objective moral standard. Like god, it would at times be moral to murder the innocent, and at times it would be immoral and we humans would have no way of knowing which is which.
                          It's literally impossible for God to "murder" the innocent, because that implies that there are times when God would not be justified in taking the life of one of His created beings. Whether God has the right to take the life of someone has absolutely no bearing what so ever on whether we have that right or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            It's literally impossible for God to "murder" the innocent, because that implies that there are times when God would not be justified in taking the life of one of His created beings. Whether God has the right to take the life of someone has absolutely no bearing what so ever on whether we have that right or not.
                            Circular argument!

Comment

Circular argument!
                              Nope.

Comment

God is truly just. However, such just God COMMANDED to KILL INFANTS in 1 Sam 15:3 and CHILDREN in Ezk 9:6 and commanded that "the son shall not bear the sin of the father. Each is to die for his own sin" in 2 Kings 14:6. It is a contradiction logically and biblically.
                                REALLY bad at this - you are now assuming all death is punishment for specific sins - which is not Biblical nor rational. The wage of sin is death - and no one is without sin - so there is no sin issue here. God, CREATOR of the UNIVERSE and all LIFE therein, OWNS IT ALL. He has every right to take back that He has granted - there is no injustice in God exercising His own rights!

When the elderly die after a long life, God is not being unjust. When a baby dies in the womb, God is not being unjust. God alone has the right to take back the lives He has given - He is not transferring ownership - it's all still His!

You really, really, should stop - the argument you are making is much more dangerous to islam than it is to Christianity. It backs you into the corner of saying that allah has no right to take life - yet he clearly does take life. So, by your logic, allah is unjust - you really don't want to go there, do you?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment