Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Is The Bible Literally True?

Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    Eccl 1:4 saying "the earth abides forever" has nothing to do with proverbial literature.
    stupidesthingI'llreadtoday.jpg

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedApologist View Post
    Ecclesiastes 1:4 is called wisdom literature for a reason cause it uses poetry. You are an idiot.
    Still, it says " the earth abides forever" in Ecc 1:4 and there is nothing poetic in saying earth abides forever.

By the way, Matthew 5:22 says "And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    God orders to kill specifically infants in 1 Sam 15:3, children in Ezk 9:6, and anything that breathes and destroy them completely in Deuteronomy 20:16-17 contradicts God's own command stated in 2 Kings 14:6, "each is to die for his own sin".

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You really are here just to make Muslims look bad, aren't you?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Still, it says " the earth abides forever" in Ecc 1:4 and there is nothing poetic in saying earth abides forever.

By the way, Matthew 5:22 says "And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."
    It says anyone who says it to another Christian. When did you become a Christian?
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

7. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Actually, it says that anyone who calls a brother or sister (i.e., fellow Christian) a fool "shall be in danger of hell fire." Are you a Christian?

ETA: Ninja'd by KG

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You really are here just to make Muslims look bad, aren't you?
    As opposed to those who gleefully commit mass murders all in the name of defending their "Religion of Peace"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    As opposed to those who gleefully commit mass murders all in the name of defending their "Religion of Peace"?
    Those who gleefully commit mass murders in the name of Islam don't generally bother with the "Religion of Peace" schtick.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

11. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    All the Bible is to be taken literally - and to do that properly, involves recognising that the texts belong to different literary genres, so that not everything can be taken as historical fact.
    I think you need make up your mind, RJ. It's either to be taken literally, ie as historical fact, or it is not.

The Lord of the Rings is all to be “taken literally”, but only a lunatic would take any of it as historical fact. So with much of the Bible. A lot of it uses mythological language, or is myth.
    Myths are not historical facts, ergo, they are not to be taken literally.

OTOH, myth must not be confused with facts like the Resurrection - the Resurrection is “too real” to be mere history; it is more real than history, not less, like the invented tales of men.
    The resurrection was not meant to be seen as myth, it was meant to be seen as an historic event, but that doesn't mean that it actually was historic. Casting demons out of a human being and into a herd of swine was meant to be seen as real and historic as well, but we don't equate mental illness with demons any longer, same with long dead people walking out of their tombs fully intact, or feeding thousands with 2 fish. You either have to accept all these things as historic or not, you can't pick and choose what you want to believe is actual and what is not actual.

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Actually, it says that anyone who calls a brother or sister (i.e., fellow Christian) a fool "shall be in danger of hell fire." Are you a Christian?

ETA: Ninja'd by KG
    You are mistaken. In Matthew 5:22, Jesus said "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Nowhere in Matthew 5:22 in relation to calling one 'fool' "Christian", rather it states "anyone who says, 'You fool'.."

You are reading into the text.