Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Is The Bible Literally True?

tWebber
    Faith
    Toonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    You are mistaken. In Matthew 5:22, Jesus said "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Nowhere in Matthew 5:22 in relation to calling one 'fool' "Christian", rather it states "anyone who says, 'You fool'.."

You are reading into the text.

thHWPMILWT.jpg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, you are the expert on that.

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As I wrote previously one of theological contradictions/errors in the Bible is that God orders to kill specifically infants in 1 Sam 15:3, children in Ezk 9:6, and anything that breathes and destroy them completely in Deuteronomy 20:16-17 contradicts all together (1) God's justice in Hebrews 6:10 "God is not unjust" and (2) God's own command stated in 2 Kings 14:6, "each is to die for his own sin".

4. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You are mistaken. In Matthew 5:22, Jesus said "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Nowhere in Matthew 5:22 in relation to calling one 'fool' "Christian", rather it states "anyone who says, 'You fool'.."

Christians are 'brothers and sisters' in the faith - no, he's reading the text correctly.

Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Actually no it says and uses plainly the words brothers

ἀδελφός, οῦ, ὁ adelphos a brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian.

So yes this is referring to those in the faith. Here is the verse:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

I notice you left out the word brother in the text and inserted everyone into it. We can even check all translations and see each one clarifies using the word brother to denote that of which it is speaking:

https://biblehub.com/matthew/5-22.htm

So you have been caught lying and didn't think anyone would check your assertions. Well I did and you been busted.

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedApologist View Post
    Actually no it says and uses plainly the words brothers

ἀδελφός, οῦ, ὁ adelphos a brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian.

So yes this is referring to those in the faith. Here is the verse:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

I notice you left out the word brother in the text and inserted everyone into it. We can even check all translations and see each one clarifies using the word brother to denote that of which it is speaking:

https://biblehub.com/matthew/5-22.htm

So you have been caught lying and didn't think anyone would check your assertions. Well I did and you been busted.
    According to your quotation of Matthew 5:22, "but whosoever shall say, You fool, ...." The term "whosoever" means anyone.

Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wrong the whosoever is not a stand alone word it is qualified by the context of the verse. So again nice try. In addition there is a contrast between righteous and unrighteous anger which is the context of the chapter.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    According to your quotation of Matthew 5:22, "but whosoever shall say, You fool, ...." The term "whosoever" means anyone.
    Whosoever refers to the person saying it, not to the person to whom it is said. And since it speaks about "brothers", that is "brothers in faith" (i.e fellow Christians) then "whosoever" is limited in this context to "any Christian".

Jesus is here saying that any Christian who calls his fellow Christian a "fool" is in danger of hell fire. And "fool" here probably doesn't refer to someone who is dumb or stupid, but to the kind of "fool" described in proverbs, i.e someone who is lazy, hateful, vindictive, someone who exploits others for selfish gains and who desires to have nothing to do with God but would rather live his life putting his own self-interests over a proper relationship with God.

In other words, any Christian who accuses another person of not only being a Christian, but being of the most morally bankrupt character imaginable, is in danger of hell fire.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    In other words, any Christian who accuses another personChristian of not only not being a Christian, but being of the most morally bankrupt character imaginable, is in danger of hell fire.

Fixed the last sentence.

Writing replies on forums late at night is not to be recommended.

12. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.