Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is The Bible Literally True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Such ham-fisted attempts as this do work on occasion, since there are plenty of woefully under-educated Christians out there.
    Well OBP would know about ham-fisted things.

Comment

In this regard, please see the following verses;

(1) While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof. A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. – Bible : Song of Solomon (1) : 12 – 13.

(2) Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies. – Bible : Song of Solomon (4) : 5.

(3) I am a wall, and my breasts like towers: then was I in his eyes as one that found favour. – Bible : Song of Solomon (8) : 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        Another use of “all”: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...4&version=NASB

How is that use of “all” to be understood ?
        Circumscribed usage - "all" (of them) have sinned ... unless one wants to say that believers have not been freed from bondage to sin.

Or the “all/every” in 2 Tim. 3.16: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...3&version=NASB ?
        Circumscribed usage, even if the translation is considered to be valid. The author was not saying "Every document is inspired by God." Even taking "all/every scripture is inspired by God" as a valid translation, it is evident that the author is referring to "sacred scripture," and not to every sacred scripture, but only the sacred documents of the churches (and Judaism). Even here, the translation clearly refers to "every God inspired document."

As it stands though, the translation owes less to the original text than it does to preferred precept: the sentence starts in verse 15, and 16 is an adjectival clause further delineating the "sacred (iera) writings (grammata)" of verse 15.
        Thus "... from your childhood you have known the sacred writings ... every God inspired scripture useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness"
        Last edited by tabibito; 05-10-2019, 05:56 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post

(1) While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof. A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. – Bible : Song of Solomon (1) : 12 – 13.

(2) Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies. – Bible : Song of Solomon (4) : 5.

(3) I am a wall, and my breasts like towers: then was I in his eyes as one that found favour. – Bible : Song of Solomon (8) : 10.
          Oh my! The Bible talks about breasts! How awful! Surely this can't be the Word of God then! How dare the Bible speak about the wonder of female beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post

What exactly is your argument?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              What exactly is your argument?
              Oh good, I'm not the only one ing
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Oh no the Bible mentions sex how awful that must be! especially in a poetic sonnet type way. If God created sex then you would expect the Biblical writers to mention it. If it mentions marriage Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Ephesians 5:22-25, then of course sex is going to be discussed. Sex is being discussed between two married people, there is nothing lewd about it. You see it that way cause its what you wish to see Titus 1:15; Hebrews 13:4. The problem is you read 21st century thought into a 1st century text.

Comment

Is The Bible Literally True?

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    Oh my! The Bible talks about breasts!
                    I'm suddenly hungry for fried chicken.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh my! The Bible talks about breasts! How awful! Surely this can't be the Word of God then! How dare the Bible speak about the wonder of female beauty!
                      Please take the following commands and orders of God in relation to treatment of women;

Exodus 22:16 "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 "28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

Deuteronomy 21:10-13 "10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife."

Comment

Oh my! The Bible talks about breasts!
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I'm suddenly hungry for fried chicken.
                        [*Doing my best Jeff Foxworthy impression*]

You know you might have been a Baptist preacher for a good many years when...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          [*Doing my best Jeff Foxworthy impression*]

You know you might have been a Baptist preacher for a good many years when...
                          You know you're in a country church when...

you have to lock your car doors and windows so your car doesn't get filled up with squash, tomatoes and zucchini.
                          the preacher calls on Bubba to pray, and three men and a woman stand up.
                          people make change in the offering plate.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Someone notify me when he comes up with an objection that hasn't been addressed 1,000 times before. Alright?

Comment

Someone notify me when he comes up with an objection that hasn't been addressed 1,000 times before. Alright?
                              Perhaps we should just provide him a list of "apologists for dummies" sites.

Comment

Expect that once of his claims has been debunked he will continue to throw up more.

Comment