Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abundant Water Ice found on Mars

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwatts View Post
    Better if it were icecream rather than ice.
    Nice seeing you around.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwatts View Post
    Better if it were icecream rather than ice.
    Hello - good to know you are still about:

How have things been, what have you been up to?

Jim
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Even if we totally eliminate new contamination, there will still very possibly be contamination with life transferred to Mars from Earth via large meteor strikes. Samples have been found on earth from other planets, it could easily go both ways.
    Its a bit more likely that a rock would come from Mars to Earth than the other direction. The amount of velocity change needed to get to Mars from Earth's surface to Mars impact is a lot higher than from the surface of Mars to Earth. It takes at least 12km/s to get to Mars and... 2.4-3km/s to get to Earth from Mars, depending how the positions of the planets in their orbits. The gravity of Earth is a lot stronger and harder to get away from. The Earth is also a much bigger target than Mars compared to the size of its orbit.

Though the alternative can't be ruled out either. It would certainly be interesting to see if and when they find life.

I've often speculated on how we could rule these things out.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    They're thinking it probably fell as snow and then compacted. But there are clear indications of different tints indicating layers that probably included more or less dust. On Earth, life's abundant enough that our dust would include bacteria. So, there's a chance.

Incidentally, the images you'll see are pretty heavily color enhanced - the stuff's not actually that blue, but is blue relative to Mars.

EDITED TO ADD:
    The paper, for the curious:
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/359/6372/199
    yeah I know about the color enhancement

...everyone knows the water on Mars is red.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Its a bit more likely that a rock would come from Mars to Earth than the other direction. The amount of velocity change needed to get to Mars from Earth's surface to Mars impact is a lot higher than from the surface of Mars to Earth. It takes at least 12km/s to get to Mars and... 2.4-3km/s to get to Earth from Mars, depending how the positions of the planets in their orbits. The gravity of Earth is a lot stronger and harder to get away from. The Earth is also a much bigger target than Mars compared to the size of its orbit.

Though the alternative can't be ruled out either. It would certainly be interesting to see if and when they find life.

I've often speculated on how we could rule these things out.
    If we do go to Mars I hope we do bring bacteria.

I've read War of the Worlds.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

6. Amen Jedidiah, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post

It would be literally impossible not to 'contaminate' Mars if we go there. It's silly to think we would not. It there is life on Mars, it will 'contaminate' us as well. It's silly to presume otherwise. And till we know if Mars is dead, we'd better be just as careful with the returning astronauts as we were with the initial moon landing astronaut returns. Likewise any sort of sample return mission.

Jim
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

8. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post

Have you seen the Invader Zim episode where he learns about germs?