Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Fake News concerning London US Embassy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's Fake News concerning London US Embassy

Trump cancelled a Diplomatic trip to London and made relationships with the British Commonwealth worse with ignorance and fake news that Obama was responsible for moving the embassy, and selling the old embassy too cheap. The reality is the decisions were all made by Bush, and the USA did not own the land.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/europe/us-embassy-london-trump-obama-bush-intl/index.html

1. The decision move the US embassy from its Grosvenor Square location was made in the second term of the Bush administration. The modernist concrete structure, designed by Finnish architect Eero Saarinen and opened in 1960, was proving harder to secure in an age of terrorist threats. Part of Grosvenor Square had already been closed to vehicles in order to protect the building, and its inadequacies were quickly becoming obvious.

The London embassy is also believed to have been the only one in the world that was not owned outright by the US government. In a quirk of UK property law, the land on which the old embassy stood was owned by the property company of a British aristocrat, the Duke of Westminster, and leased to the US, which merely owned the bricks and mortar above.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-12-2018, 04:38 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

If things progress as they have in his first year of his presidency Donald Trump will not be welcome anywhere except, of course, at his golf courses.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      If things progress as they have in his first year of his presidency Donald Trump will not be welcome anywhere except, of course, at his golf courses.
      Donald Trump is no longer welcome in the British Commonwealth, Africa, and Haiti. The ambassador of Panama resigned, and many diplomatic positions remain unfilled.

Frank

Comment

Relationships between the Trump White House and London have never been particularly good, but this isn't surprising when you consider that London has a Muslim mayor who is quietly attempting to implement Sharia law throughout the city. His being no fan of Trump is actually a good thing.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Relationships between the Trump White House and London have never been particularly good, but this isn't surprising when you consider that London has a Muslim mayor who is quietly attempting to implement Sharia law throughout the city. His being no fan of Trump is actually a good thing.
          Jihadi watch . I’m glad you at least make the attempt to use other sites for partisan hacks outside of breitbart.

Comment

You guys just can't resist the genetic fallacy, can you? At least you're consistent, for whatever it's worth.

Now how about actually attempting to refute the facts, if you can, instead of attacking the source.
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-13-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

You guys just can't resist the genetic fallacy, can you? At least you're consistent, for whatever it's worth.

Now how about actually attempting to refute the facts, if you can, instead of attacking the source.
              Did you yourself refute what the opening post pointed to? I must have failed to see it. Or are you being inconsistent, for whatever it's worth?
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Did you yourself refute what the opening post pointed to? I must have failed to see it. Or are you being inconsistent, for whatever it's worth?
                What is there to refute? Bush made the decision, but Obama actually made the move. At worst you could say Bush is also responsible (although the final decision rested with Obama, who could've overturned it). It's just CNN crybaby nitpicking.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  What is there to refute? Bush made the decision, but Obama actually made the move. At worst you could say Bush is also responsible (although the final decision rested with Obama, who could've overturned it). It's just CNN crybaby nitpicking.
                  No this is a dishonest representation of the facts of the history of the move. It was already determined that the previous location was not secure and safe. The change was already in the works when Obama took office. What would be the reason to change Bush's decision in full agreement with the State Department and the intelligence community?

Besides Donald Trump's objection to the price the property sold for did not consider the facts in that the USA did not own the property of the old embassy.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-13-2018, 01:25 PM.

Frank

Comment

Huh???? Please address the issue presented in the thread. Dance and soft shoe lessons are not needed.

Frank

Comment

No this is a dishonest representation of the facts of the history of the move. It was already determined that the previous location was not secure and safe. The change was already in the works when Obama took office. What would be the reason to change Bush's decision in full agreement with the State Department and the intelligence community?
                      No, it's an exact representation of the facts of the history. If you want to see a dishonest representation read your OP where you don't mention Obama's role in this at all and just try to make it look like Bush made the sale and Obama was innocent and had no say in it.

It's all excuse making. "Obama just finished what Bush started" as if Bush is suddenly a progressive hero and not a guy you talked about in the same way you talk about Trump when he was president.

Besides Donald Trump's objection to the price the property sold for did not consider the facts in that the USA did not own the property of the old embassy.
                      They did not own the land, but they did own the actual building, which is what they sold. This is another red herring.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

No, it's an exact representation of the facts of the history. If you want to see a dishonest representation read your OP where you don't mention Obama's role in this at all and just try to make it look like Bush made the sale and Obama was innocent and had no say in it.

It's all excuse making. "Obama just finished what Bush started" as if Bush is suddenly a progressive hero and not a guy you talked about in the same way you talk about Trump when he was president.
                        You missed the important issue here. The State Department and the Intelligence agencies had already determined that the old embassy was unsafe. Again . . . You have failed to give a reason why Obama would reverse a decision under these circumstances.

They did not own the land, but they did own the actual building, which is what they sold. This is another red herring.
                        Without owning the land the value of the building is only bricks and mortor. Please provided a reference as why Trump believes the price was too low.

Frank

Comment

You missed the important issue here. The State Department and the Intelligence agencies had already determined that the old embassy was unsafe. Again . . . You have failed to give a reason why Obama would reverse a decision under these circumstances.
                          I don't have to idiot, I couldn't care less. That's just you moving the goal posts though, the point of the OP was to claim it wasn't Obama who made the decision, to fool people into thinking Trump blamed the wrong person.

Without owning the land the value of the building is only bricks and mortor. Please provided a reference as why Trump believes the price was too low.
                          No.

Comment

I don't have to idiot, I couldn't care less. That's just you moving the goal posts though, the point of the OP was to claim it wasn't Obama who made the decision, to fool people into thinking Trump blamed the wrong person.
                            Based on the history and the objective evidence Trump did blame the wrong person. The decisions were already in progress before Obama took office. No one, including you have presented reasons why Obama would change the decisions based on the facts that the State Department and Intelligent Services considered the previous embassy unsafe. Actually in recent history it has been common to move the embassy under these conditions in many countries.

Frank

Comment

And with that, another false liberal narrative falls on its face.

Of course they're just continuing the Obama legacy of blaming Bush for everything Obama did wrong.

Comment