Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fulfilled prophecy - The Jewish people return to their homeland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulfilled prophecy - The Jewish people return to their homeland

“Therefore behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when it will no longer be said, ‘As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel out of the land of Egypt,’ but, ‘As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel from the land of the north and from all the countries where He had banished them.’ For I will restore them to their own land which I gave to their fathers.” (Jer. 16:14–15)

And this has happened before our eyes, the Jewish people have returned to their homeland in Israel.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Before our eyes? I thought that prophecy was fulfilled 2,600 years ago.
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      Before our eyes? I thought that prophecy was fulfilled 2,600 years ago.
      This seems to be more extensive than the return from Babylon, "from all the countries where He had banished them".

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

When Israel became a nation in 1948.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Still sounds a lot like Jeremiah's prophecy of sevety years.

"Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts, 'Because you have not obeyed My words, behold, I will send and take all the families of the north,' declares the LORD, 'and I will send to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, My servant, and will bring them against this land and against its inhabitants and against all these nations round about; and I will utterly destroy them and make them a horror and a hissing, and an everlasting desolation. Moreover, I will take from them the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the sound of the millstones and the light of the lamp. This whole land will be a desolation and a horror, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years. Then it will be when seventy years are completed I will punish the king of Babylon and that nation,' declares the LORD, 'for their iniquity, and the land of the Chaldeans; and I will make it an everlasting desolation. I will bring upon that land all My words which I have pronounced against it, all that is written in this book which Jeremiah has prophesied against all the nations. ( For many nations and great kings will make slaves of them, even them; and I will recompense them according to their deeds and according to the work of their hands.)'" (Jeremiah 25:8-14)
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
            “Therefore behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when it will no longer be said, ‘As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel out of the land of Egypt,’ but, ‘As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel from the land of the north and from all the countries where He had banished them.’ For I will restore them to their own land which I gave to their fathers.” (Jer. 16:14–15)

And this has happened before our eyes, the Jewish people have returned to their homeland in Israel.

Blessings,
            Lee
            How can the be when the "Provisional Government of Israel Official Gazette: Number 1; Tel Aviv, 5 Iyar 5708, 14.5.1948 The Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel " appeals the the United Nations:-

" The State of Israel will be open for Jewish immigration and for the Ingathering of the Exiles; it will foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations."

an only one mention of God:-

"Placing our trust in the Almighty."

Since when did God need the help of any Nation(s)?

Thus a man made state and not from God!

Beside Israel has been replaced by The Christian Congregation as God's organisation of People with Jesus as it leader, thus the land of Israel etc. is of no use as God's gone Global.

BT

Comment

Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
              How can the be when the "Provisional Government of Israel Official Gazette: Number 1; Tel Aviv, 5 Iyar 5708, 14.5.1948 The Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel " appeals the the United Nations:-

" The State of Israel will be open for Jewish immigration and for the Ingathering of the Exiles; it will foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations."

an only one mention of God:-

"Placing our trust in the Almighty."
              On that, we are in agreement. Israel is in no sense a Christian nation. Israel tolerates Christians just as they do Muslims. They even tolerate Christian missions. But they look down on it.

Since when did God need the help of any Nation(s)?
              He doesn't. He didn't need Nebuchadnezzar to wipe out the kingdom in the first place, but used him and even called him "My servant."

“Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts, 'Because you have not obeyed My words, behold, I will send and take all the families of the north, 'declares the LORD,' and I will send to Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, My servant, and will bring them against this land, and against its inhabitants, and against all these nations round about; and I will utterly destroy them, and make them a horror, and a hissing, and an everlasting desolation. Moreover, I will take from them the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the sound of the millstones and the light of the lamp. And this whole land shall be a desolation and a horror, and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years. Then it will be when seventy years are completed I will punish the king of Babylon and that nation,' declares the LORD, 'for their iniquity, and the land of the Chaldeans; and I will make it an everlasting desolation.’” (Jeremiah 25:8-12, NASB)
              God even used Cyrus, king of Persia to restore the Jews at the end of Jeremiah's seventy years:

Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying,"Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, 'The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and He has appointed me to build Him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah.' (Ezra 1:1-2, NASB; see also 2 Chronicles 36:22-23)
              He even referred to Cyrus as His "Anointed". (=Messiah.)

“It is I who says of Cyrus, 'He is My shepherd! And he will perform all My desire.' And he declares of Jerusalem, ' She will be built,' And of the temple, 'Your foundation will be laid.' Thus says the LORD to Cyrus His anointed, Whom I have taken by the right hand, To subdue nations before him And to loose the loins of kings; To open doors before him so that gates will not be shut...." (Isaiah 44:28, 45:1, NASB)
              He even used the Romans, Nero, Vespasian and Titus to wipe out the nation in AD 67-70. He could have done that without their help, by plague or natural disaster if He wished.

He uses whomever he wishes; that doesn't mean He needs people. No, I don't believe that the modern State of Israel is a fulfillment of prophecy. But if God wanted, it wouldn't be outside Him to do things this way. It was a chain of events, starting with John Nelson Darby's theology, C.I. Scofield's Bible, the Balfour Declaration (Balfour believed Darby's doctrines), a war with the Ottomans, etc. that eventually led to the establishment of the current nation. Plus a few wars which Israel won against neighboring countries. Could God have used them? Yes. Did He? Not in my opinion.

Beside Israel has been replaced by The Christian Congregation as God's organisation of People with Jesus as it leader, thus the land of Israel etc. is of no use as God's gone Global.
              Dead wrong there! The New Testament is very clear, God did not cast them out. He did not replace them with the Church. Rather, they are the SAME! Gentile believers were brought together with Jewish believers into one fold with one shepherd.

"I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd." (John 10:16, NASB)
              There is NO DISTINCTION between the two.

The apostles and the elders came together to look into this matter. After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith." (Acts 15:6-9, NASB)
              in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all. (Colossians 3:11b, NASB)
              God has not rejected the Jews.

I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. (Romans 11:1-2, NASB)
              There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise. (Galatians 3:28-29, NASB)
              But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree? (Rom 11:17-24, NASB)
              Last edited by Faber; 01-13-2018, 09:40 AM.
              When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                When Israel became a nation in 1948.
                I don't see the modern secular state of Israel fulfilling anything. There are more Jews outside of Israel than in it, and most of those outside have no desire to return.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I don't see the modern secular state of Israel fulfilling anything. There are more Jews outside of Israel than in it, and most of those outside have no desire to return.
                  That's a great point. Prophecy never was talking about people simply being gathered back together. The concern always has been that their hearts were turned back toward God.

Comment

Still sounds a lot like Jeremiah's prophecy of sevety years. ...
                    For many nations and great kings will make slaves of them
                    "Them" being the Babylonians, not the Israelis, though.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I don't see the modern secular state of Israel fulfilling anything. There are more Jews outside of Israel than in it...
                      Well, by a fraction, a little less than half the Jews in the world now live in Israel. And the prophecy doesn't mean every Jewish person has to live in Israel.

... and most of those outside have no desire to return.
                      May I have a reference, please?

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      Last edited by lee_merrill; 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                        Well, by a fraction, a little less than half the Jews in the world now live in Israel. And the prophecy doesn't mean every Jewish person has to live in Israel.

May I have a reference, please?

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        An interesting article on that subject: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/28/...-up-on-israel/

For the record, most of the Babylonian Jews at the time of Ezra, Nehemiah and Artaxerxes never bothered returning to Judea. Their entire lives were in Babylon; Israel was foreign to them.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

An interesting article on that subject: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/28/...-up-on-israel/
                          Interesting indeed, so many hot-button items in Israel.

For the record, most of the Babylonian Jews at the time of Ezra, Nehemiah and Artaxerxes never bothered returning to Judea. Their entire lives were in Babylon; Israel was foreign to them.
                          Would that be Jewish people in Iraq?

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

"At the time of the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, there were approximately 140,000–150,000 Jews living in Iran," (The Council of Immigrant Associations in Israel)

"In the 20th century, Iraqi Jews played an important role in the early days of Iraq's independence. Between 1950–52, 120,000–130,000 of the Iraqi Jewish community (around 75%) reached Israel in Operation Ezra and Nehemiah." http://www.moia.gov.il/English/Feeli...Venechmia.aspx That source counts up to 135,000.

Not to mention Afghanistan and other middle eastern nations.
                            When I Survey....

Comment