Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to ascend?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Jim is more interested in getting his impression of Christianity from Left Behind movies than what the Bible actually says.
    I think he finds this stuff on really dopey anti-Christian websites and thinks it makes good arguments.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In all my days as a Christian, I've never heard it called that - Jesus ascended. We don't (at least us Baptists) refer to our going to Heaven as "ascending".
    Well, how do you Baptists get there then CP? Heaven is a place, right?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Well, how do you Baptists get there then CP? Heaven is a place, right?
    If I believed even a tiny bit that you were genuinely interested in this, and not just being a , I'd be happy to discuss it.

Unsubscribing

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think he finds this stuff on really dopey anti-Christian websites and thinks it makes good arguments.
    No, actually it came to mind, not sure exactly why, during discussion of the "do you believe in zombies thread." I don't go to anti-christian websites CP, never been to one and don't even know of one.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm guessing you mean at the Second Coming. Caught up isn't the same thing as 'everybody goes to heaven'. Actually, it comes to us in the form of the New Jerusalem.

Why do you assume heaven is light years away?

7. Amen alaskazimm amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I'm guessing you mean at the Second Coming. Caught up isn't the same thing as 'everybody goes to heaven'. Actually, it comes to us in the form of the New Jerusalem.

Why do you assume heaven is light years away?
    Well, Heaven is "supposedly" where ever god was before the existence of his "supposed" created world, right. Where Jesus ascended to sit at the right hand of his alter ego. Therefore heaven would be outside of, or beyond the universe which is itself 14 billion lightyears across. Where do you think Jesus was heading when he ascended?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, Heaven is "supposedly" where ever god was before the existence of his "supposed" created world, right. Where Jesus ascended to sit at the right hand of his alter ego. Therefore heaven would be outside of, or beyond the universe which is itself 14 billion lightyears across. Where do you think Jesus was heading when he ascended?
    I think the Ascension was for the disciple's benefit - otherwise, they'd have kept looking around for Him - that's just human nature.

Heaven is where God is - but God is spirit. A better way to look at it as like (this is an analogy, not a description) parallel dimensions, in which one can see the other but the other can only infrequently glimpse the first (probably with help from the same). Heaven is impossible to reach but still right here.

10. Amen QuantaFille, Leonhard amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Taoist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Jim is more interested in getting his impression of Christianity from Left Behind movies than what the Bible actually says.
    He's got plenty of company.

In 2007, the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) recognized the Left Behind series at its CBA & ECPA Awards Celebration in Atlanta, Georgia with the ECPA Pinnacle Award. ECPA President Mark Kuyper said, "In many ways this series established Christian fiction as a significant category in publishing in general." Jerry Falwell said about the first book in the series: "In terms of its impact on Christianity, it's probably greater than that of any other book in modern times, outside the Bible."
    There is no lao tzu

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks, but I wasn't worried about it Faber. But seriously, if you are expecting to bodily ascend up to heaven don't you think it'll take you tens of billions of years in travelling time to get there.
    Probably. I'm overweight. But I'll have plenty of time.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just curious if any Christians know, or have any ideas as to, once they begin their ascension, how long it will take them to reach the promised land. I don't know, but I'm thinking it must be quite a long flight being that heaven must be outside and beyond the 14 billion light year across universe, so, even should you travel at the speed of light, it would take at the very least 14 billion years to get there. It's a really long way to go!
    Your question assumes that there is a distance, which has to do with locations in space, between here and heaven. So if we know where we are now, the question ultimately boils down to the location of heaven.

But are you getting your ideas on what Christianity has to say from one segment of Christians? (albeit a very vocal and important segment) Not sure if you are aware, but not all Christians are of like mind on this issue. I wonder if you would be willing to accept a view which compresses all Democrats, atheists, or evolutionists into one small category!

14. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.