Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voter Suppression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phank View Post
    Depends on where you live. Y'all come on down to Alabama, or maybe Louisiana. Find some program, ANY program without fraud, and y'all just ain't lookin' very hard. But before you switch from federal to state fraud, wait until I find myself a good old boy gummit job hereabouts. I've always had this hankerin' to be rich.
    Correct, but then it would not be my tax dollars. And the fact is we all have more input on the state and municipal level, we are closer to the seat of power.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Pretty much. The US is about the only major western nation that doesn't require a photo ID in order to vote.
      Australia has no id check when voting. I don't think id is required in New Zealand either; and am told voter id is not used in the UK (Northern Ireland excepted) or Denmark.

When I vote, I just tell them my name, get crossed off the roll, and that's it.
      Last edited by sylas; 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sylas View Post
        Australia has no id check when voting. I don't think id is required in New Zealand either; and am told voter id is not used in the UK (Northern Ireland excepted) or Denmark.

Prolly cause you don't have Democrats.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Prolly cause you don't have Democrats.
          Australia has mandatory voting. Taking grandma's ID and a wig to go and do your patriotic duty of voting for Obama is a lot less practical when grandma has to vote or get thrown in prison.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Australia has mandatory voting. Taking grandma's ID and a wig to go and do your patriotic duty of voting for Obama is a lot less practical when grandma has to vote or get thrown in prison.
            Failing to vote attracts a small fine; $72 at present. Grandma doesn't need to vote; she's over 70, so she can stay home if she likes.

Also... wig? No need. There's no id required, so a disguise makes no difference of any kind. It's like I said: give your name and address, and get it crossed off the list. Done. The address is only used because sometimes people have the same name; there's no id check of any kind. There's also almost no voter fraud.

Comment

Failing to vote attracts a small fine; $72 at present. Grandma doesn't need to vote; she's over 70, so she can stay home if she likes.

Also... wig? No need. There's no id required, so a disguise makes no difference of any kind. It's like I said: give your name and address, and get it crossed off the list. Done. The address is only used because sometimes people have the same name; there's no id check of any kind. There's also almost no voter fraud.
              The wig is necessary because having a dude named "Jenny" walk in will attract the attention of even the most lax of security systems.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

How incredibly insensitive and ageist!!!! My WIFE is a Grandma and she's not even SIXTY yet! Multicultural Training Session for you!!!!!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But how would you know there is no vote fraud if no one is checking IDs?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    But how would you know there is no vote fraud if no one is checking IDs?
                    We don't know "no" fraud. But large scale fraud can't easily hide.

One thing that happens in Australia (and id checks would not prevent it) is multiple voting. You can vote at several voting stations and this only gets picked up later when all the rolls from the various polling places are checked after the election. But it's pretty rare. The biggest cause of multiple votes appears to be when elderly people who find it hard to get out make a postal vote, and then forget when well meaning relatives come along to take them out on voting day. Most cases of multiple voting that get picked up in the post election review turn out to be clerical errors of some kind.

The bigger risk for fraud here appears to be with fraudulent voter enrollments. But here too, all indications are that the problem is not widespread. Anomalies are picked up and checked.

Cheers -- sylas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Girl you are thick sometimes, you use the fact that the Democrats were able to pass the ACA, a.k.a. ObamaCare, a health care policy targeted to help the uninsured to be able to afford getting insured as an argument that Democrats don't care about the poor and needy. Brilliant! They also got this done by fighting tooth and nail against Republicans who gave it there all in trying to block it. The same for the stimulus, Chip, Veterans assistance, Equal pay for Women etc etc. They also had a lot more on their agenda, they inherited an economic disaster and still got more legislation passed, even with the obstructionism, than any Congrees in decades. And I know you on the obstructionist side like to think that the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for 2 years but they didn't, they had it for 7 months. So, they had a lot on their plate, and little time to get it done, they can't do everything, but the fact remains that when they did bring ending Corporate subsidies to the floor, Dems voted to end those subsidies and the GOP blocked it, voting instead to continue the corporate welfare. Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid, you don't need to drink it lilpix, you just pour it for others to drink.
                      First off Jimmy, nice distraction and/or missing the point. Second, just because the democrats passed something they claimed 'helped the poor' doesn't mean they did it to really help the poor. Did the thought ever enter your empty head that they did it to buy votes? See, the thing about a person who really is giving is that they don't go out and brag about it all the time. I do lots of things for the poor in my neighborhood, but I rarely tell anybody about it because I'm not seeking glory for it. I am doing it because I want to; not because it is going to give me some sort of gain. Third, again you keep blaming the republicans, but are too dumb to see the point. If the democrats were able to shove a bill though the house without a single republican vote, than why couldn't they end corporate welfare, while they were at it? Oh, that's right, they didn't care to. They just play lip service to it because it would be against what they really believe. Stupid people, like you, seem to drink it up, but show you can't think for yourself. If they could have rammed bills though congress, without any republican support, they could have also ended corporate welfare too. Why didn't they do it or do you want to keep distracting people from the real agenda of buying votes and buying campaign donations? Finally, I find it rather amusing that you blame republicans for all the ills of the world, while being too dumb to figure out that it was the rules and regulations that the democrats set up back in the 90's that lead to the financial disaster in the late 2000's. Yep, keep drinking down that kool-aid and never opening your eyes up to the reality that the democrats don't care about the poor either. They just use them to buy up votes by throwing them a few bills and playing lip service to 'helping the poor'.

Great thought process lilpix. Entitlements, like stimulus legislation in times of economic crisis, not only help the people recieving them, they help to stimulate the economy by that money going directly back into the economy helping both business's as well as employment.
                      And the republicans say the same thing about their plans and bills too. Of course, the brilliant thing about the democrats bill is that you get lots of votes and you can pay back your people back on wall street, all at the same time. While of course, fooling them ignorant masses into believing you actually care about them. Gosh, no wonder they got you drinking that kool-aid, you seem to buy it all.

How is it a non answer stupid? "I said sure it does". Keep pouring that Kool-Aid lilpix!
                      The answer would bite you, if it was a snake. If they could pass a bill, without any republicans voting for it, they could have passed anything. Why didn't they end corporate welfare Jimmy? Can you answer the question or will you keep dodging because you don't like the answer?

There you go again. They can't do everything in 7 months lilpix, particularly with the state of the economy and the corporate backed Republicans efforts to stymie them at every turn. But the fact remains, no matter how much you try to dismiss it, the Dems did try to end Corporate welfare and the GOP stopped them. Just can't get yourself to admit that can you?
                      That's right they couldn't do it because they couldn't do it because Jimmy says so and the magical faeries say it happened that way, by golly it happened that way! Go ahead Jimmy, tell everybody how they were able to spend all this time and effort passing a bill that even the majority of Americans didn't want, but they didn't do anything to end corporate welfare beyond blaming republicans for 'blocking it' and ignoring the fact that republicans couldn't have stopped them anyway. It is really amazing all the excuses you'll make for your democrat overloads and how much evidence you'll ignore to make your arguments work. Gosh, that kool-aid must taste delish for you to continue to drink it down so fast so you can ignore the reality of the situation.

Are you a robot lilpix? The Dems helped the poor with the ACA, so why couldn't they do everything they wanted as soon as they wanted? Geesh! such a pathetic argument.
                      You might want to tell that to all the people that have lost their insurance and saw their premiums jump up to levels they couldn't afford. Besides, are you really too stupid to understand this concept called 'buying votes'. Hand people free stuff and they will line up out the door to take whatever you hand out to them. When are you going to figure out that it is about buying votes and getting dumb people (aka you) to vote for them?

Apparently you don't think through anything you say lilpix, because your argument is so obviously foolish and thoughtless.
                      Then you should have no problem refuting it. You can't though, can you? Now keep drinking that kool-aid and repeat, "The democrats will provide for all my needs!" over and over again, while plugging your ears and pretending you don't hear anything that refutes that.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        It just doesn't seem effective enough. In fact, I would call it a token gesture.
                        In other words, another non answer. Go right ahead PM, name a more effective measure that will not break the bank. Do you have one?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I said about because I wasn't sure, but most seem to have some sort of ID check.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In other words, another non answer. Go right ahead PM, name a more effective measure that will not break the bank. Do you have one?
                            First, there are different ways to rig an election. Would an ID requirement prevent the most likely or most devastating? Second, how do we know an ID requirement would stop election fraud? Fourth, how do we know that an ID requirement would do more good than more harm? Fifth, your argument seems to be a politician's syllogism.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              First Jim, I do support some basic government help for the poor on the state level. There is just too much fraud and abuse on the federal level. Second, the best thing you can do for someone on welfare is to get them a job. Job growth is the key - not more government dependence. Third, forced charity through a government entity is not a Christian ethic.
                              There is always going to be some fraud seer, whether federal or state. As far as getting jobs, gee, if i'm not mistaken, I believe that the house republicans blocked the Presidents jobs bill and changed most of the stimulus bill into tax cuts. Regardless of the Republican obstructionism in order that they make the President a 1 term Presedent, most of the private sector jobs have come back, the unemployment rate dropping from a high of about 10% to 6.7%. The 6.7% is mostly based on the public sector jobs that were cut due to the finacial collapse. BTW, what have Republicans done to get people living wage jobs? Let me see, they blocked the Presidents jobs bill, they blocked the minimum wage increase, they cut off unemployment insurance and they cut even more jobs through sequestration.

Of course the poor are going to benefit, it is the middle class - the people I know, that are getting screwed. One woman I know now has a $6,000 deductible - this has basically taken her health care away. She can not afford it. And yes, you got stuck with a $3,000 bill - so now you want to stick the rest of us with your bill?
                              Those are Republican talking points seer and they are BS. Pre-existing conditions does not pertain only to the poor, Students who can go on their parents plans does not pertain only to the poor, and unethical practices by Insurance companies, such as cancelling peoples insurance once they get ill affects everyone.
                              As far as me getting stuck with a $3000.00 bill, no I do not want the rest of you to get stuck with the bill, and that is an incredibly stupid thing to say. The point was, that insurance companies were able to get away with these kinds of unethical practices, sticking the insured with a bill rather than paying it out themselves like they are supposed to, by simply cancelling the insured"s policies. I don't want anyone else paying it, I want the insurance company to whom I've been paying my premiums to pay it like they are supposed to. They can no longer get away with that because of ObamaCare. You see, if you actual knew what was in the bill, you might even support it.

Comment

First off Jimmy, nice distraction and/or missing the point. Second, just because the democrats passed something they claimed 'helped the poor' doesn't mean they did it to really help the poor. Did the thought ever enter your empty head that they did it to buy votes? See, the thing about a person who really is giving is that they don't go out and brag about it all the time. I do lots of things for the poor in my neighborhood, but I rarely tell anybody about it because I'm not seeking glory for it. I am doing it because I want to; not because it is going to give me some sort of gain. Third, again you keep blaming the republicans, but are too dumb to see the point. If the democrats were able to shove a bill though the house without a single republican vote, than why couldn't they end corporate welfare, while they were at it? Oh, that's right, they didn't care to. They just play lip service to it because it would be against what they really believe. Stupid people, like you, seem to drink it up, but show you can't think for yourself. If they could have rammed bills though congress, without any republican support, they could have also ended corporate welfare too. Why didn't they do it or do you want to keep distracting people from the real agenda of buying votes and buying campaign donations? Finally, I find it rather amusing that you blame republicans for all the ills of the world, while being too dumb to figure out that it was the rules and regulations that the democrats set up back in the 90's that lead to the financial disaster in the late 2000's. Yep, keep drinking down that kool-aid and never opening your eyes up to the reality that the democrats don't care about the poor either. They just use them to buy up votes by throwing them a few bills and playing lip service to 'helping the poor'.

And the republicans say the same thing about their plans and bills too. Of course, the brilliant thing about the democrats bill is that you get lots of votes and you can pay back your people back on wall street, all at the same time. While of course, fooling them ignorant masses into believing you actually care about them. Gosh, no wonder they got you drinking that kool-aid, you seem to buy it all.

The answer would bite you, if it was a snake. If they could pass a bill, without any republicans voting for it, they could have passed anything. Why didn't they end corporate welfare Jimmy? Can you answer the question or will you keep dodging because you don't like the answer?

That's right they couldn't do it because they couldn't do it because Jimmy says so and the magical faeries say it happened that way, by golly it happened that way! Go ahead Jimmy, tell everybody how they were able to spend all this time and effort passing a bill that even the majority of Americans didn't want, but they didn't do anything to end corporate welfare beyond blaming republicans for 'blocking it' and ignoring the fact that republicans couldn't have stopped them anyway. It is really amazing all the excuses you'll make for your democrat overloads and how much evidence you'll ignore to make your arguments work. Gosh, that kool-aid must taste delish for you to continue to drink it down so fast so you can ignore the reality of the situation.

You might want to tell that to all the people that have lost their insurance and saw their premiums jump up to levels they couldn't afford. Besides, are you really too stupid to understand this concept called 'buying votes'. Hand people free stuff and they will line up out the door to take whatever you hand out to them. When are you going to figure out that it is about buying votes and getting dumb people (aka you) to vote for them?

Then you should have no problem refuting it. You can't though, can you? Now keep drinking that kool-aid and repeat, "The democrats will provide for all my needs!" over and over again, while plugging your ears and pretending you don't hear anything that refutes that.
                                You're a broken record lilpix. Just answer the question if you have the integrity to do so. I'd be willing to bet that you don't! Did the democrats bring ending Corporate welfare to the floor for a vote or not? Did the Democrats vote to end Corporate welfare or not? Did the Republicans vote to continue Corporate welfare or not? If the Republicans had voted with the Democrats to end Corporate welfare would the bill to end Corporate welfare have passed? I can't wait to see the next non answer rant? You're to funny lilpix.

Comment