Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus is the ultimate hero!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus is the ultimate hero!

Not sure where to put this, but Jesus really is the ultimate hero. Any other hero can only have temporal effect in terms of saving lives, while Jesus has eternal effect in that He died to give eternal life. And then He came back to life. Jesus is also more powerful than any other hero(real and fictional) and has no weaknesses. Seriously, there is no one better than Jesus of Nazareth.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

I love this description. Your description brings the work of Jesus into more personable terms. It is all too easy to see Jesus in abstract terms. Our modern use of 'hero' permits us to describe Jesus as one who saves us, just as a fireman saving one from a burning fire.
    Use of the hero designation could add new dynamics in some worship songs.

Comment

Considering Jesus treated a storm at sea as a minor inconvenience, is there any problem that would be a major inconvenience?

Comment

You can make a comparison between Jesus and Heracles because the titles of archegos and soter were both attributed to Heracles prior to Jesus worship, and Hebrews 2 names Jesus as the "archegon tes soteria" usually rendered as "author of their salvation" in English.

Heracles was the epitome of a classical Greek hero, so Jesus is also the greater hero Biblically speaking.
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

What does Greek mythology have to do with Jesus? I was thinking more along the lines of Jesus being more awesome than superheroes.

Comment

Superheroes are in many ways the modern form of Greek heroes, larger than life figures who accomplish great feats but with a fatal flaw. Looked up to by many but ultimately fictional.

I have a friend who is writing a book making the connection of Jesus being like a superhero but he's basing it Biblically on the Hebrews verse, he's building the case that the author of Hebrews was explicitly making a comparison between Jesus and Heracles.
            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Hmmm, I suppose that could be the case. Of course, the heroes of Greek myth weren't heroic by our standards, but we have a different culture. And they didn't know Jesus. Modern cultures at least know of Jesus but don't do anything beside calling fictional characters "Christ figures". As if Jesus was literally a synonym for heroic person!

Comment

I like calling Jesus a hero, because it's so un-Christianese...
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Jesus is the true champion of the oppressed! Well, in His good timing. After all, He would want the oppressors to accept the offer of salvation also!

Comment

Now, does this mean the Church is the damsel in distress?

Comment

Ancient Israel definitely was a damsel in distress.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Ancient Israel definitely was a damsel in distress.
                        . . . and then the divorce.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I didn't say they were a good one! Anyway true Israel was not the same as the nation of Israel. But that is getting off topic.

Comment

If Jesus is the Good Physician, does that make us the incompetent interns?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              What does Greek mythology have to do with Jesus?
                              Read the gospels.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X