Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christians Ascend?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Christians Ascend?

JimL started another goofy trolling thread, this one being Time to Ascend?

I'm just curious - I've never heard of our "going to Heaven" as "ascending". That's a word I've always seen associated with Jesus, and Him alone. When somebody mentions "the ascension", I immediately think of Jesus ascending into the clouds, his disciples watching.

Does your denomination or faith use "ascend" in referring to the resurrection (or rapture) of the saints?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's nice to think that I, also other Christians, ascend while Jesus nukes sinful earth with fire and fury!
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Its not my expertise but in Catholicism I've only ever seen the word ascension used to describe Jesus ascending bodily into Heaven. The ascending part meaning that his resurrected body itself was taken up into Heaven. What happens as the End of Time, when Christ comes back to judge the world I've only ever found to be called The Resurrection and The Final Judgement.

Aside from Christ, Catholics also use it for Mary (of which my protestant brethren here will probably kindly - hopefully - disagree).

Couldn't Enoch and Elijah, also be described as ascending to Heaven? Though its a bit more unclear in Enochs case, than with Elijah who was caught up in whirlwind.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think it's just semantics.

We are "caught up" to be with Him, and scripture says we'll be changed in "the twinkling of an eye", which I've heard some scholars say is the time it takes for light to hit the retina from when it enters the eye......instantaneously, if you will.

Those who are dead in Christ will rise first, and we will all be together forever with the Lord.

Jim is being disengenuios, as always. I refuse to engage him on this topic anymore.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I think it's just semantics.

We are "caught up" to be with Him, and scripture says we'll be changed in "the twinkling of an eye", which I've heard some scholars say is the time it takes for light to hit the retina from when it enters the eye......instantaneously, if you will.

Those who are dead in Christ will rise first, and we will all be together forever with the Lord.

Jim is being disengenuios, as always. I refuse to engage him on this topic anymore.
    Yeah, I figured it was, I just never heard of it put that way.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Its not my expertise but in Catholicism I've only ever seen the word ascension used to describe Jesus ascending bodily into Heaven. The ascending part meaning that his resurrected body itself was taken up into Heaven. What happens as the End of Time, when Christ comes back to judge the world I've only ever found to be called The Resurrection and The Final Judgement.

Aside from Christ, Catholics also use it for Mary (of which my protestant brethren here will probably kindly - hopefully - disagree).

Couldn't Enoch and Elijah, also be described as ascending to Heaven? Though its a bit more unclear in Enochs case, than with Elijah who was caught up in whirlwind.
    Thanks, Leon, and, yeah, kindly politely disagreeing on Mary, but not seeing it worth a fight. And, yeah, those latter two don't really seem to fit the "ascend" model.

7. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I figured it was, I just never heard of it put that way.
    It's Jim. He is throwing words around and doesn't even know what he's talking about.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

9. Amen Obsidian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Th 4:17. Blue Letter Bible
    Then we which are alive and remain shall be caughtup together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    This is apparently where the idea is coming from. Ascension would be a fair understanding since we will be in the clouds and meeting the Lord in the air.

Doctrinally, no, no denomination teaches that we 'ascend' as such but the semantics aren't an issue here. The problem is the assumption of further travel into Heaven which the passage does not support. Unsure if any denominations believe that - it's not part of the futurist view you and KG like making fun of.

Jim's question is based on a misunderstanding of the Second Coming but the word 'ascend' is not an incorrect application.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    - it's not part of the futurist view you and KG like making fun of.
    Woah, backup... what's this about?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Woah, backup... what's this about?
    The other thread - you both made derogatory comments. I'm not a futurist but frankly, the derision is getting old. Jim didn't need the Left Behind series - Scripture actually does support the ascension idea here (not as far as Jim goes, but that can be mere misunderstanding).

13. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.