Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Christians Ascend?

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Its not my expertise but in Catholicism I've only ever seen the word ascension used to describe Jesus ascending bodily into Heaven. The ascending part meaning that his resurrected body itself was taken up into Heaven. What happens as the End of Time, when Christ comes back to judge the world I've only ever found to be called The Resurrection and The Final Judgement.

Aside from Christ, Catholics also use it for Mary (of which my protestant brethren here will probably kindly - hopefully - disagree).

Couldn't Enoch and Elijah, also be described as ascending to Heaven? Though its a bit more unclear in Enochs case, than with Elijah who was caught up in whirlwind.
    The only time I’ve seen the BVM referred to as “ascending”, is when non-Catholics use the word. The Incarnate Word ascended in His Resurrected, Glorified Humanity - the Blessed Virgin was assumed, body and soul, into Heaven. By no means can she be said to have ascended, because her Assumption was something done for her by God, whereas the Ascension of Christ is something He did by His own Power as God.

So the answer to the question about Enoch and Elijah is a big fat “No”.

The Ascension of Christ is organically related to everything else that He Is, did, taught, signifies, does and teaches. It is a stage in His Exaltation by the Father, and evidence of the future glorification of those who are His.The Assumption does not have this central importance, because the BVM is not of the same central importance, because she is a member of Christ, nut is not Christ Himself. The Assumption was very fitting, but it was not *due to* her: it was wholly a grace, prompted not by what the BVM is, but by Who Christ Is. The Assumption would be unthinkable without the Resurrection & Ascension, on both of which it is completely dependent,

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    The only time I’ve seen the BVM referred to as “ascending”, is when non-Catholics use the word. The Incarnate Word ascended in His Resurrected, Glorified Humanity - the Blessed Virgin was assumed, body and soul, into Heaven. By no means can she be said to have ascended, because her Assumption was something done for her by God, whereas the Ascension of Christ is something He did by His own Power as God.

So the answer to the question about Enoch and Elijah is a big fat “No”.

The Ascension of Christ is organically related to everything else that He Is, did, taught, signifies, does and teaches. It is a stage in His Exaltation by the Father, and evidence of the future glorification of those who are His.The Assumption does not have this central importance, because the BVM is not of the same central importance, because she is a member of Christ, nut is not Christ Himself. The Assumption was very fitting, but it was not *due to* her: it was wholly a grace, prompted not by what the BVM is, but by Who Christ Is. The Assumption would be unthinkable without the Resurrection & Ascension, on both of which it is completely dependent,
    BVM?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    BVM?
    My guess is "Blessed Virgin Mary".
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My guess is "Blessed Virgin Mary".
    An odd thing to abbreviate, one would think. Seems sorta disrespectful.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    An odd thing to abbreviate, one would think. Seems sorta disrespectful.
    Yeah, it's kinda like "the BMW" in the garage.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.