Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists praying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Hmmmm... didn't know that.
    Eh, not really - prayer beads are used differently than the rosary. The rosary keeps track of specific prayers as they are being said and is representative of the collective whole; the prayer beads keep track of the number of recitations of a given prayers/mantras or the number of breaths, mentions of buddha's name, et al. It's comparing a counter to a word processor. They only have 'beads' and 'praying' in common.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Eh, not really - prayer beads are used differently than the rosary. The rosary keeps track of specific prayers as they are being said and is representative of the collective whole; the prayer beads keep track of the number of recitations of a given prayers/mantras or the number of breaths, mentions of buddha's name, et al. It's comparing a counter to a word processor. They only have 'beads' and 'praying' in common.
      Hmmmm... didn't know that.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Except in history Buddhists have performed far fewer evil actions as the Abrahamic religions.
        That's a cheap bit of rhetoric, it's so vague as to lack any weight once considered. You have no way of measuring in any statistically meaningful way what you claimed.

Originally posted by shunyadragon
        I am also acknowledging here that we are all fallible humans, and universally capable of evil actions.
        So your first sentence was just a sly smear on religions you personally dislike.
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          That's a cheap bit of rhetoric, it's so vague as to lack any weight once considered. You have no way of measuring in any statistically meaningful way what you claimed. :
          But you surely don't deny that the Abrahamic religions have their share of evil actions.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            But you surely don't deny that the Abrahamic religions have their share of evil actions.
            1. Religions don't "have actions", people do.

2. Who cares what your randomly evolved moral opinion is, anyway?
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

2. Who cares what your randomly evolved moral opinion is, anyway?
              yeah!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I have to admit that I have issues praying. I often think why should I pray, God's will be done and it feels like I shouldn't want to deviate from that. However, there are times that I have prayed and had an overwhelming sense of peace to the point of goosebumps. I can tell you that if I am the one who directly caused that feeling, I don't know how I did it because I can't replicate it no matter how much I want to.

I have also prayed for signs from God to see if I am on the right path. I have to admit that strange things have happened when I did that. However, my science brain tries to explain them away as coincidence or me just looking for patterns. I can't explain how I made it as a scientist except that I felt that it was a calling. I literally did everything the wrong way, yet I am here and successful. I don't get it. I know that I could just be looking for things and maybe I am.

That being said, I understand that I can be skeptical to the point that I won't believe anything. I think that is why God doesn't ultimately perform giant miracles or write his name in the stars. You will have a skeptical person provide a natural expiation of why "I exist" is written in the sky (like this actually proves anything). In my experience, the skeptic will look for ANY explanation besides the divine. If "I exist" appeared in the sky, I am sure that the skeptics would rather believe that aliens did it, it was comets, etc. No matter how low the probability of it occurring naturally is, that is good enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
                  I have to admit that I have issues praying. I often think why should I pray, God's will be done and it feels like I shouldn't want to deviate from that. However, there are times that I have prayed and had an overwhelming sense of peace to the point of goosebumps. I can tell you that if I am the one who directly caused that feeling, I don't know how I did it because I can't replicate it no matter how much I want to.

I have also prayed for signs from God to see if I am on the right path. I have to admit that strange things have happened when I did that. However, my science brain tries to explain them away as coincidence or me just looking for patterns. I can't explain how I made it as a scientist except that I felt that it was a calling. I literally did everything the wrong way, yet I am here and successful. I don't get it. I know that I could just be looking for things and maybe I am.
                  Prayer is not so much for God's sake, as it is our own. Being in a prayerful state puts us in a state of faithfulness, and worship, so that we can be receptive to what God has in store for us. Jesus also tells us that the prayers of a righteous man has tremendous power. There's something in prayer that unlocks something in the spiritual realm.

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                  That being said, I understand that I can be skeptical to the point that I won't believe anything. I think that is why God doesn't ultimately perform giant miracles or write his name in the stars. You will have a skeptical person provide a natural expiation of why "I exist" is written in the sky (like this actually proves anything). In my experience, the skeptic will look for ANY explanation besides the divine. If "I exist" appeared in the sky, I am sure that the skeptics would rather believe that aliens did it, it was comets, etc. No matter how low the probability of it occurring naturally is, that is good enough.
                  I feel that God has written his name in the stars. It's hard for me to look at the stars without it moving me, and thinking how majestic and wonderful it all is, and how powerful and awesome their creator must have been. I simply can't look up at the heavens and think "naw, it was all just some wild cosmic accident". It just does not compute.

Comment

I have to admit that I have issues praying. I often think why should I pray, God's will be done and it feels like I shouldn't want to deviate from that. However, there are times that I have prayed and had an overwhelming sense of peace to the point of goosebumps. I can tell you that if I am the one who directly caused that feeling, I don't know how I did it because I can't replicate it no matter how much I want to.

Prayer isn't how God reveals Himself (although yeah, He does that with it too) but it's more basic. How can you follow Someone you don't talk to? How can you become like Someone you have no communication with?

How can you have ANY (patron, friend, worship, you name it) kind of relationship with Someone you never talk to?

Incidentally, this tendency (mainly of guys) to not want to tell anyone things they probably already know can easily damage human relationships, too.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Given my designation (atheist), my opinion probably doesn't count for much. But, when I was Christian, prayer was not about asking for things, or even thanking for things. It was about "being with." Today, my "prayer" takes the form of hanging with my wife and just enjoying her company, We don't have to talk. We don't have to do anything. We can just be in the same space being ourselves - and it's enough. That was what prayer was like for me...years ago.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Given my designation (atheist), my opinion probably doesn't count for much. But, when I was Christian, prayer was not about asking for things, or even thanking for things. It was about "being with." Today, my "prayer" takes the form of hanging with my wife and just enjoying her company, We don't have to talk. We don't have to do anything. We can just be in the same space being ourselves - and it's enough. That was what prayer was like for me...years ago.
                        Hi Carp,

Some of my closest friends are atheists (hey I’m a scientist, what should I expect) so don’t think your opinion doesn’t count. I listen to anyone who is sincere.

I see your point about just being with. When I said I had problems praying, it’s weird because I just don’t know what to do. I end up just conversing with God in my head. So I would say that it’s close to just “being with him/her” like you suggested.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Prayer isn't how God reveals Himself (although yeah, He does that with it too) but it's more basic. How can you follow Someone you don't talk to? How can you become like Someone you have no communication with?

How can you have ANY (patron, friend, worship, you name it) kind of relationship with Someone you never talk to?

Incidentally, this tendency (mainly of guys) to not want to tell anyone things they probably already know can easily damage human relationships, too.
                          Hi Teallaura

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly I understand what you mean as far as guys. It’s very hard to just shed my inhibitions. For some reason, I always hesitate to hand over control. I have no idea why it makes me so uncomfortable but it does. I’m working on it but I somethings think that God just made me to where it’s not easy to develop the relationship aspect. It’s all logic and reason which is not a full relationship.

Thanks

E771

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Prayer is not so much for God's sake, as it is our own. Being in a prayerful state puts us in a state of faithfulness, and worship, so that we can be receptive to what God has in store for us. Jesus also tells us that the prayers of a righteous man has tremendous power. There's something in prayer that unlocks something in the spiritual realm.

I feel that God has written his name in the stars. It's hard for me to look at the stars without it moving me, and thinking how majestic and wonderful it all is, and how powerful and awesome their creator must have been. I simply can't look up at the heavens and think "naw, it was all just some wild cosmic accident". It just does not compute.
                            Adrift!

You are 100% correct which is why I keep st it. I’m hoping something will click...lol. I just keep asking God to not give up on me. I figure he understands me better than I understand myself. Everyone has their cross to bear with the way they were made, my way of thinking seems to be mine.

Also, I agree with you again about the cosmos. I find it puzzling that science has a reputation for leading people to atheism. Science always led me to God.

To quote Heisenberg:

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you”

or Francis Bacon:

“A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.”

Comment

Religion obviously has no impact upon its adherents given the long bloody history of the Abrahamic religions.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Hi Carp,

Some of my closest friends are atheists (hey I’m a scientist, what should I expect) so don’t think your opinion doesn’t count. I listen to anyone who is sincere.

I see your point about just being with. When I said I had problems praying, it’s weird because I just don’t know what to do. I end up just conversing with God in my head. So I would say that it’s close to just “being with him/her” like you suggested.

Thanks
                                Sounds familiar...
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment