Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists praying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The long history of barbaric behaviour for which the Abrahamic religions have been responsible has been on a par with the non-Abrahamic populous that surrounded them. IOW: the religion makes no difference for better or worse...which is my point.
    I don't suppose you could provide a cite that doesn't blow your statement out of the water.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I don't suppose you could provide a cite that doesn't blow your statement out of the water.
      Beginning with Judaism’s violence against the Canaanites 4,000 years ago, through to the violence of the Inquisitions, religious wars and the Christian colonial expansions and right up to the Islamic extremism of today, the Abrahamic religions have been a history of barbaric behaviour...either because of the religion or despite it.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Beginning with Judaism’s violence against the Canaanites 4,000 years ago
        Those poor child sacrificing Canaanites.

Comment

The long history of barbaric behaviour for which the Abrahamic religions have been responsible, has been on a par with the non-Abrahamic populous that surrounded them. IOW: the religion makes no difference for better or worse...which is my point. It's ineffective.

Vice versa more like it!
          Your objection can't even get off the ground, since you can't provide an objective moral standard to measure things against. Without that, and a grounding for it, your objection is just a subjective dislike and tells us nothing about the objective worth of religions.

Next, you need to show that a person or people with religion is no different than the same people or person without that religion. Since that can only be speculation you can only convince those who find your speculations valuable. And since you are admittedly dishonest (seeing nothing wrong with plagiarism) and evidently have an axe to grind those who find your speculations convincing is going to be a small and gullible group.

Lastly, analyzing the impact of religions with thousands of years of history across very different peoples, circumstances and cultures is not at all a simple task, except for obviously shallow 'thinkers' like yourself.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Beginning with Judaism’s violence against the Canaanites 4,000 years ago, through to the violence of the Inquisitions, religious wars and the Christian colonial expansions and right up to the Islamic extremism of today, the Abrahamic religions have been a history of barbaric behaviour...either because of the religion or despite it.
            That is right Tass, in spite of it. There is nothing inherent in the Christian faith that leads to colonial expansion, Inquisitions, religious wars, etc... Just the opposite. But men are wicked and will use and twist even the most sublime teachings in the quest for personal power and wealth. Of course in your world this is all perfectly natural - just animals doing what animals do...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              Your objection can't even get off the ground, since you can't provide an objective moral standard to measure things against.
              Bingo. But he can rant.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                Lastly, analyzing the impact of religions with thousands of years of history across very different peoples, circumstances and cultures is not at all a simple task, except for obviously shallow 'thinkers' like yourself.
                But, but, but... religion is EBOL!

Comment

The long history of barbaric behaviour for which the Abrahamic religions have been responsible, has been on a par with the non-Abrahamic populous that surrounded them. IOW: the religion makes no difference for better or worse...which is my point. It's ineffective.
                  The quantitative comparison of body count between religious and non-religious societies doesn't speak towards the truth of said religion. However, if you want to go with body count...lets entertain that.

Pol Pot: 1 - 3 million
                  Hitler: 15 - 20 million
                  Stalin: 20 - 25 million
                  Mao Zedong: 40 - 70 million

Total: 76 - 118 million people

Can you come up with a religious body count that is "on par" with roughly 100 million?

Comment

We have only seen the rise of atheistic nations in the past hundred years and their track record to date is not very good. And that is an understatement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      We have only seen the rise of atheistic nations in the past hundred years and their track record to date is not very good. And that is an understatement.
                      The track record of the more secular nations, e.g. in the Scandinavian countries, is very good...considerably better in many instances than overtly religious countries, including the USA.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The track record of the more secular nations, e.g. in the Scandinavian countries, is very good...considerably better in many instances than overtly religious countries, including the USA.
                        And you know that you can't compare the two. And why don't you include secular nations like North Korea, China, Cuba, or Laos?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
                          To quote Heisenberg:

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you”
                          Can't be certain, but I assume that's a veiled death threat at Schrodinger's cat.

or Francis Bacon:

“A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.”
                          And yet, the further one goes into science and philosophy, the more atheists one encounters.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            Can't be certain, but I assume that's a veiled death threat at Schrodinger's cat.
                            It is obviously.

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            And yet, the further one goes into science and philosophy, the more atheists one encounters.
                            A couple of things....

I think that the "new atheists" confirm the quote in some respects. They may be okay at science but their level of philosophical discourse is laughable.

The number of atheists in science has remained steady for pretty much a century... not sure about philosophers.

However I did find the following quote from Thomas Nagel to be refreshingly honest:

“I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and that it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time."

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
                              It is obviously.
                              Not until we've seen the bottom of the glass.

A couple of things....

I think that the "new atheists" confirm the quote in some respects. They may be okay at science but their level of philosophical discourse is laughable.
                              Not especially good at science, either.

The number of atheists in science, has remained steady for pretty much a century... not sure about philosophers.
                              The proportion has held steady, considerably higher than in the general population, but, as the population of atheists has grown, the proportion of scientifically and philosophically literate atheists has declined. We're being swamped out.

But as scientific and philosophical competency increases, the proportion of atheists also increases to over 90 percent in the National Academy, and the remnant theists have highly nuanced views of divinity.

However I did find the following quote from Thomas Nagel to be refreshingly honest:

“I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and that it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time."
                              Nagel's a bit of a nut, with a history of supporting the redefinition of science far enough to include alchemy, astrology, and intelligent design. His honesty may not be suspect, but his views of science and scientists most certainly are. His fame, in Christian circles, is far out of proportion to his philosophical impact, something I've noted holds true for most Christian scientists and philosophers.

It's like theistic affirmative action or something.

Unless you're Francis Collins, in which case you're despised for supporting that evillusion stuff. Entirely by coincidence, I'm sure, the proportion of biologists who are atheists is higher than in any other field. It's not as if Christians were deliberately driving them out of their churches. Nah, that couldn't be it.

Nagel doesn't speak for any but the smallest fringe of scientists. He certainly doesn't speak for me.

I'll agree with him to this extent: I'd prefer, when trying to scrutinize the inscrutable, that there weren't any divine actors out there chortling with glee as they bump the chess table and make the game unplayable.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                Nagel's a bit of a nut, with a history of supporting the redefinition of science far enough to include alchemy, astrology, and intelligent design.
                                Do you have a source on that, or know where I can find it? That's pretty surprising.

Comment