Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists praying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Because they are often not accurate. If you cite the original source, and not the secondary source you actually used, then you are effectively lying about your source, and any discrepancy between the actual text and your quoted version is your responsibility.
    You could have just said nothing since my question indicated accuracy of quote.

Also, your idea of citations is not how things are actually done in the academic setting. I will often use a review to get up to speed on a topic. If there are details I want to use in a paper or grant, I cite the primary source NOT the review. Of course after reading the primary source to make sure the review is accurately representing what was done. You only city a review if you are referencing a topic in general. For example... The impact of HIV in the western world has been the subject of intense investigation (ref of review(s)).
    Last edited by element771; 03-05-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      I like the fact that you point to the "substantive difference" that Luther acknowledges that at least some Jews may be saved and if they are saved they can get their confiscated properties back.
      He actually wrote that they should be given a sum of money to allow them to start a household and a trade, not that they should be given their confiscated property back.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

He actually wrote that they should be given a sum of money to allow them to start a household and a trade, not that they should be given their confiscated property back.
        The exact quote is:

Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them and put aside for safekeeping. The reason for such a measure is that, as said above, they have no other means of earning a livelihood than usury, and by it they have stolen and robbed from us all they possess. Such money should now be used in no other way than the following: Whenever a Jew is sincerely converted, he should be handed one hundred, two hundred, or three hundred florins, as personal circumstances may suggest. With this he could set himself up in some occupation for the support of his poor wife and children, and the maintenance of the old or feeble. For such evil gains are cursed if they are not put to use with God's blessing in a good and worthy cause.
        So much the worse for Luther.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
          You could have just said nothing since my question indicated accuracy of quote.
          Which you wouldn't know...

My emphasis:
          Also, your idea of citations is not how things are actually done in the academic setting. I will often use a review to get up to speed on a topic. If there are details I want to use in a paper or grant, I cite the primary source NOT the review. Of course after reading the primary source to make sure the review is accurately representing what was done.
          If you have the primary source, why would you use quotes from elsewhere?

I'm wondering how you know what is done in the academic setting.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Which you wouldn't know...

My emphasis:If you have the primary source, why would you use quotes from elsewhere?
            I was reading a book that had quotes in it from various humanists. I did a quick check to see if they were accurate. Reading a manuscript to assess the merits of it scientifically, is a lot different than verifying that someone said something.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            I'm wondering how you know what is done in the academic setting.
            Because I am a scientist in academia.
            Last edited by element771; 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Plagiarize.
              You should check out the thread in Philosophy 201 entitled "An infinite series of finite causes" to see an example of actual plagiarizing.

Comment