Thread: Atheists praying

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I never "pray" the rosary.
    Me too neither.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Caught in the Matrix
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I was very different. From the day I became an atheist to the day I returned to the faith, I did not pray. I don't recall even a 'just in case' comment thrown God's way.
    No, I've never done the "just in case" thing either, I'm just assuming that for some people, in times of severe crisis, their fear and hopelessness could overwhelm their reason. We are only human after all.

Caught in the Matrix
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    At times, yes.

I have never 'prayed the rosary'.

Nor do I pray the same words over and over, any more than I say the same words over and over to my wife. (except, "yes dear", and "I love you" )
    Oh, so your sect doesn't do the lords prayer, hail mary, rosary, and all that rot like for penance and such. Doesn't Jesus teach the desciples how to pray, teaching them the Lords prayer? How do you guys pray, do you just like ask for stuff? I mean Catholics can do that as well, but I realized very early on that was a bit silly. My opinion of course.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Oh, so your sect doesn't do the lords prayer, hail mary, rosary, and all that rot like for penance and such.
    Denomination, not sect. And, yes, we don't do all that.

Doesn't Jesus teach the desciples how to pray, teaching them the Lords prayer?
    It's a "model prayer" - in my opinion, not intended to be repeated over and over as the only prayer we pray. Jesus said, in effect, "pray like this...."

How do you guys pray, do you just like ask for stuff?
    I wish I thought you were sincere in asking.

I mean Catholics can do that as well, but I realized very early on that was a bit silly. My opinion of course.
    Of course.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Caught in the Matrix
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Denomination, not sect. And, yes, we don't do all that.

It's a "model prayer" - in my opinion, not intended to be repeated over and over as the only prayer we pray. Jesus said, in effect, "pray like this...."

I wish I thought you were sincere in asking.

Of course.
    I see. But I think that the Lords prayer is meant to be repeated over and over as a form of meditating on God. The text says "Your father knows what you need before you ask him" so I take that to mean don't be asking for stuff, just pray. But hey, that's just me.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Maybe a "just in case" strategy?
    That's what I suspect. Which makes me think, if there is even a sliver of doubt in their minds that God could exist then why are they atheists?

Although the term "atheist" has been expanded by new atheism to include agnostics, so perhaps that's the answer.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    I see. But I think that the Lords prayer is meant to be repeated over and over as a form of meditating on God. The text says "Your father knows what you need before you ask him" so I take that to mean don't be asking for stuff, just pray. But hey, that's just me.
    There's nothing in the gospels to suggest that Jesus intended the "Lord's Prayer" to be recited verbatim like a mantra, though I don't suppose there's necessarily anything wrong with doing so as long as you understand what you're saying and not expecting it to act as a magical incantation.

The major components of the prayer are acknowledging the sovereignty of God and his will, thanking him for meeting our needs, asking forgiveness for sins, and asking for his continued spiritual protection. The point of prayer is not to bend God to our will but to align ourselves with his.

8. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I very rarely use a form of prayer which goes something like:

"Hey, if any benevolent beings out there can hear this, I'd really like it if you could do... xyz"

While I think all the various human religions are silly, it seems totally possible that the universe is the creation of intelligent aliens, and it doesn't hurt to ask in the unlikely event that someone is listening.
    So basically you sort of believe in the supernatural then.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Ya think. Do you think you are directly communing with god when praying the rosary, repeating the same words over and over?
    I think most catholics would say that is more on the "worship and praise" side than prayer side. The Orthodox and Catholics have many rote prayers that they repeat, many times led by someone and repeated by the congregation. It is more akin to singing a hymn than mere prayer. The prayer part is when you talk to God.

Personally I tend to talk to God throughout the day, not merely in "prayer" mode.

11. Amen Teallaura, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Caught in the Matrix
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think most catholics would say that is more on the "worship and praise" side than prayer side. The Orthodox and Catholics have many rote prayers that they repeat, many times led by someone and repeated by the congregation. It is more akin to singing a hymn than mere prayer. The prayer part is when you talk to God.

Personally I tend to talk to God throughout the day, not merely in "prayer" mode.
    Does he talk back, and if so, how do you know it's not you talking to yourself?