Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists praying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Hmmmm... didn't know that.
    I have some Buddhist rosaries I collected from China. One is very intricately carved skulls.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Religion obviously has no impact upon its adherents given the long bloody history of the Abrahamic religions.
      Empty rhetoric again.

How can you compare the effect of a religion on a person, people or culture with what they would have been like without that religion?

For one who loves to harp on about objective verifiable evidence you sure like to learn on hypothetical speculations to support your prejudices.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        How can you compare the effect of a religion on a person, people or culture with what they would have been like without that religion?
        Exactly, I can't count how many prostitutes, junkies, drunks and criminals who repented of their wicked ways and changed their lives because of faith in Christ.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Religion obviously has no impact upon its adherents given the long bloody history of the Abrahamic religions.
          :yawn:

Edit: dangit, we need to get on this, pronto!
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

You mean like the bloody history of you Aussies?

List of wars involving Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ving_Australia

List of massacres of Indigenous Australians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...us_Australians
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Exactly, I can't count how many prostitutes, junkies, drunks and criminals who repented of their wicked ways and changed their lives because of faith in Christ.
              But you're ignoring the vast numbers of people who were living miserable lives, declared God is dead, and became better people!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But you're ignoring the vast numbers of people who were living miserable lives, declared God is dead, and became better people!
                I will keep an eye out for them, there must be at least one. In all seriousness, probably a good third of my church is populated with addicts (of every sort), drunks, former atheists and criminals, who today live exemplary lives. And yes I put atheists in the category of criminal.

Comment

I will keep an eye out for them, there must be at least one. In all seriousness, probably a good third of my church is populated with addicts (of every sort), drunks, former atheists and criminals, who today live exemplary lives. And yes I put atheists in the category of criminal.
                  I have always made it a goal of my church(es) to grow, not just by "stealing sheep", but by winning the lost, and reclaiming the de-churched. So, yeah, my congregation his used to me saying "we're looking for people who don't dress like us, believe like us, look like us...."
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have always made it a goal of my church(es) to grow, not just by "stealing sheep", but by winning the lost, and reclaiming the de-churched. So, yeah, my congregation his used to me saying "we're looking for people who don't dress like us, believe like us, look like us...."
                    We presently have one woman who sits in front of me who comes to church every Sunday three sheets to the wind. But she is getting better.

Comment

Grow church grow

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We presently have one woman who sits in front of me who comes to church every Sunday three sheets to the wind. But she is getting better.
                        And WHO KNOWS what she's getting in the way of songs and sermon. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Comment

And WHO KNOWS what she's getting in the way of songs and sermon. The Lord works in mysterious ways.
                          And the fellowship, we all love her.

Comment

And the fellowship, we all love her.
                            We had a guy like that many years ago - he came to Church pretty well fresh from a night of partying, even sometimes looking pretty hungover. We just "hung with him", and one day he called the Pastor (I was the youth minister) and asked him "How come you guys put up with my !@#%" Pastor told him, "because Jesus put up with mine". Somehow, that conversation changed things, and the guy drastically changed, and soon became one of our bus captains for our bus routes - and, though much older now, still actively serving the Lord.

Comment

We had a guy like that many years ago - he came to Church pretty well fresh from a night of partying, even sometimes looking pretty hungover. We just "hung with him", and one day he called the Pastor (I was the youth minister) and asked him "How come you guys put up with my !@#%" Pastor told him, "because Jesus put up with mine". Somehow, that conversation changed things, and the guy drastically changed, and soon became one of our bus captains for our bus routes - and, though much older now, still actively serving the Lord.
                              Atheism offers nothing that can compare...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                                Empty rhetoric again.

The long history of barbaric behaviour for which the Abrahamic religions have been responsible, has been on a par with the non-Abrahamic populous that surrounded them. IOW: the religion makes no difference for better or worse...which is my point. It's ineffective.

For one who loves to harp on about objective verifiable evidence you sure like to learn on hypothetical speculations to support your prejudices.
                                Vice versa more like it!
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment