Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grand Sumo January 2018 Tournament

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Skip to about 11:40 in this vid (that is, if you don't simply watch the whole thing, which I of course recommend) and watch the Tochinoshin vs Ichinojo bout. To give this perspective, both of these guys are about 6'3", and Ichinojo weighs around 470 pounds.

so the purpose of Sumo is to give each other wedgies?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    so the purpose of Sumo is to give each other wedgies?
    No man, have you been listening at all?

They already have wedgies. The purpose of sumo is to entertain people of ordinary weight while enormous dudes throw each other around.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    You see that kind of dodge infrequently. The initial charge (the "tachi-ai") is considered a staple of the sport, and although it is legal to sidestep completely like that, it's frowned upon and considered a bit cheap. Also, it's far from a guaranteed win, as I've seen plenty of guys whom this was tried against manage to retain their balance and win quickly from there.
    Apparently the move is often accompanied by another move called "nekodamashi" meaning "deceiving cat" which is when you raise your hands up and clap them in your opponent's face as he charges in an attempt to distract him and throw him off balance.

When Sho Hakuho used it in a match a few years ago he was widely criticized as a result for using a technique unbefitting someone of his rank ("yokozuna" -- the highest rank). Others disagree saying it is an extremely risky maneuver leaving you wide open if it doesn't work.

Here is an example of it being employed, if I'm not mistaken by Sho Hakuho.

Last edited by rogue06; 01-29-2018 at 08:53 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)