Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Grand Sumo January 2018 Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Sumo January 2018 Tournament

Yesterday was Day 1, and the first video has been uploaded! Who's watching it with me?

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Yesterday was Day 1, and the first video has been uploaded! Who's watching it with me?

Beats watching curling with Teal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

First two days' highlights videos were good stuff. It's good to see Takakeisho (a younger guy, relative rookie) rising the ranks and taking it to the big dogs. Tochinoshin is a beast and dominated his first two matches. I'm bummed that Kotoshogiku is 0-2 (I really like watching his brand of sumo), but his match with Ozeki Takayasu was one of the best matches thus far. Big man Ichinojo (6'4", ~470 pounds) made Hakuho work for his win, which was nice to see.

Good stuff!

Comment

go Takakeisho!!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Beats watching curling with Teal.
          You know she's going to now ask you to watch Sumo wrestlers play curling, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            You know she's going to now ask you to watch Sumo wrestlers play curling, right?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Day 3, and Hakuho got upset by rank-and-filer Hokutofuji. Hakuho is statistically the best sumo wrestler ever, and probably the best ever period (he's really good), so that's kind of a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Day 3, and Hakuho got upset by rank-and-filer Hokutofuji. Hakuho is statistically the best sumo wrestler ever, and probably the best ever period (he's really good), so that's kind of a big deal.
                I'm guessing such a loss weighs heavily on his heart.

Comment

Brought to you by:

ADULT-DIAPERS.jpg

Comment

We're on Day 11 now (which I get to watch in a couple hours), and it's been a heck of a tournament. It's good to see the one remaining Yokozuna, Kakuryu, firing on all cylinders and dominating his matches. Especially since he was out of most of the 2017 tournaments with injuries. First tournament of 2018, and he's back, folks....

Tochinoshin is similarly performing at a very high level, and it's looking like this tournament is down to those two. I like to watch Tochinoshin because, in the top division of a sport of very strong men, he's easily one of the strongest. If you watch his matches carefully, you might notice that his opponents (even top-ranking masters) try to avoid giving him his preferred left-hand outside grip, because once he has it, it's very difficult to beat that much sheer power. The guy is built to wrestle a bear (which he pretty much does for a living):

maxresdefault.jpg

Comment

Any truth to the rumor that Kim Jong Un is competing?

Funny-Kim-Jong-Un-Sumo-Wrestling-Picture.jpg

Comment

00000000000000ars6i.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Any truth to the rumor that Kim Jong Un is competing?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26203[/ATTACH]
                          I dunno, I only watch the top division matches

Comment

00000000000000ars6i.jpg

Comment

I know all you cultureless Neanderthals don't care, but I'll post it anyway.

Tochinoshin clinched his tournament win on Day 14 with a 13-1 record, and then finished up on Day 15 with another win for an impressive 14-1 showing. He's the first rank-and-file rikishi* in something like 6 years to win a tournament, so congrats to him.

The tournament was very enjoyable but, in hindsight, a lot of the top dogs were either out with injury or seemingly performing at a sub-par level. Still, Tochinoshin did awesome and IMO still earned that tournament win, even if some of the big boys weren't really in it. I'm expecting to see him at a higher rank come March.

*rikishi=wrestler
                              Last edited by Zymologist; 01-29-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment