Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Grand Sumo January 2018 Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think that move will work exactly once.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I think that move will work exactly once.
          You see that kind of dodge infrequently. The initial charge (the "tachi-ai") is considered a staple of the sport, and although it is legal to sidestep completely like that, it's frowned upon and considered a bit cheap. Also, it's far from a guaranteed win, as I've seen plenty of guys whom this was tried against manage to retain their balance and win quickly from there.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Skip to about 11:40 in this vid (that is, if you don't simply watch the whole thing, which I of course recommend) and watch the Tochinoshin vs Ichinojo bout. To give this perspective, both of these guys are about 6'3", and Ichinojo weighs around 470 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Skip to about 11:40 in this vid (that is, if you don't simply watch the whole thing, which I of course recommend) and watch the Tochinoshin vs Ichinojo bout. To give this perspective, both of these guys are about 6'3", and Ichinojo weighs around 470 pounds.

so the purpose of Sumo is to give each other wedgies?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                so the purpose of Sumo is to give each other wedgies?
                No man, have you been listening at all?

They already have wedgies. The purpose of sumo is to entertain people of ordinary weight while enormous dudes throw each other around.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  You see that kind of dodge infrequently. The initial charge (the "tachi-ai") is considered a staple of the sport, and although it is legal to sidestep completely like that, it's frowned upon and considered a bit cheap. Also, it's far from a guaranteed win, as I've seen plenty of guys whom this was tried against manage to retain their balance and win quickly from there.
                  Apparently the move is often accompanied by another move called "nekodamashi" meaning "deceiving cat" which is when you raise your hands up and clap them in your opponent's face as he charges in an attempt to distract him and throw him off balance.

When Sho Hakuho used it in a match a few years ago he was widely criticized as a result for using a technique unbefitting someone of his rank ("yokozuna" -- the highest rank). Others disagree saying it is an extremely risky maneuver leaving you wide open if it doesn't work.

Here is an example of it being employed, if I'm not mistaken by Sho Hakuho.

Last edited by rogue06; 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment