Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Immigration Reform - Should He Have Been Deported?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Reform - Should He Have Been Deported?

There are all sorts of stories out there, both good and bad, about undocumented immigrants in the U.S. This one showed up in my news feed this morning. On the assumption that the reported information is correct, I'm curious to know if people think this man should have been deported: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/1033296001/

In a nutshell, the facts as reported are:
    • Brought to the U.S. at 10 years old
    • Is now 39 years old
    • Married to a U.S. citizens
    • Has two teenage children
    • No criminal record or offenses
    • Is employed and pays taxes every year
    • Has spent $125K since 2009 trying to gain legal status
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Should He Have Been Deported?
    Yes.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

There are all sorts of stories out there, both good and bad, about undocumented immigrants in the U.S. This one showed up in my news feed this morning. On the assumption that the reported information is correct, I'm curious to know if people think this man should have been deported: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/1033296001/

• Is now 39 years old

I don't understand this. Even though there was a stay the removal order came under the Obama administration, second, because of the Federal courts DACA is still in effect. So what is really going on?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Is now 39 years old
        Have been? Yes.

Should be? Insufficient information. What's the problem that he can't get status when he's married to a citizen?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I don't understand this. Even though there was a stay the removal order came under the Obama administration, second, because of the Federal courts DACA is still in effect. So what is really going on?
          He apparently was not covered by DACA
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Have been? Yes.

Should be? Insufficient information. What's the problem that he can't get status when he's married to a citizen?
            Having been involved in a couple of citizenship efforts, I can attest to the fact that the red tape is incredible. But I do not know the answer to your question.

Comment

I believe certain allowances should be made for people who were brought here illegally as children and are now adults (meaning 18 and older), but blanket amnesty is not the answer. They should still be required to go through the legal process of becoming naturalized citizens. Anybody who has not at least made a good-faith effort should be deported.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I believe certain allowances should be made for people who were brought here illegally as children and are now adults (meaning 18 and older), but blanket amnesty is not the answer. They should still be required to go through the legal process of becoming naturalized citizens. Anybody who has not at least made a good-faith effort should be deported.
                I can agree with that. But I would add that the normal fees associated with the legal process should be waived if they are the only obstacle. These young people did not ask to come here, so saddling them with thousands of dollars of debt to straighten it out is not just. And citizenship should not be extended to people who have fallen seriously afoul of the law.

Comment

I think a first step in immigration reform should be to formulate and announce a "from this day forward" policy....
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

all illegal immigrants should be deported without exception. i'm willing to compromise, but liberals like carpedm would have to give up something serious. IE: for every amnestied invader a liberal permanently loses the right to vote.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Remember that it was his parents who put him into this situation.

They may have properly become citizens -- this wasn't stated in the scenario in the OP.

Immigration will naturally be encumbered with resultant problems. I do have some sympathy for kids who come with the parents. We had one guy in church married to a citizen. He was taken to Yuma, Arizona, to be exported. I'm not sure what finally happened on this case.

I also knew an older guy on student visa who was being compelled to go back to that country north of us. That was 30 years ago. Again, this is the consequence of agreeing to come to the US with certain restrictions.

Maybe we can admit to citizenship those kids whose parents gained citizenship. But probably there would be an age limit -- say of 20 years old. Probably, in these days, there should be DNA testing to verify blood relationship.

Another thing to remember is that laws come with specified limits. This is often a compromise between giving restrictions while also giving latitude. As such, people will be hit by the side that inconveniences them.

Comment

Justice, by law, means he must be deported. Period!

Whether he can come back in is mercy, depends on circumstance.

Comment

• Is now 39 years old
                          No. He is married to a US Citizen. That should qualify him for a green card at the very least and let him stay.

We have a couple of members here on tweb, Quantafille and Rational Gaze who fell in love here on tweb and met and got married. Problem is, Quanta lived in the US and RG lived in Britain. Even though they were married, RG had a very hard time getting to immigrate to the US where they wanted to live. It was ridiculous. I think it took a couple of years before he finally got to come over.

That is just stupid policy. If someone is married to a US citizen they should have the right to live in the USA with them. I know about the fake marriages problem, but a bit of background checking usually can sort that out, plus watching to make sure they stay married for a certain period of time and if not then deport the alien.

My mom was German. My dad met her while stationed in Germany. There was no problem getting her back to the states and getting a green card back in the 1960's (maybe because of the Army?)

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            Immigration will naturally be encumbered with resultant problems. I do have some sympathy for kids who come with the parents. We had one guy in church married to a citizen. He was taken to Yuma, Arizona, to be exported. I'm not sure what finally happened on this case.

I also knew an older guy on student visa who was being compelled to go back to that country north of us. That was 30 years ago. Again, this is the consequence of agreeing to come to the US with certain restrictions.

Maybe we can admit to citizenship those kids whose parents gained citizenship. But probably there would be an age limit -- say of 20 years old. Probably, in these days, there should be DNA testing to verify blood relationship.

Another thing to remember is that laws come with specified limits. This is often a compromise between giving restrictions while also giving latitude. As such, people will be hit by the side that inconveniences them.
                            The evils of the liberal option to open the borders (effectively) is that there will be many of these sorts of cases that will need to be handled individually. This is the fault of letting it happen in the first place. I moved my charitable giving from one organization that supported this because it was creating and would create in the future (as we see here) countless problems for innocent people.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I don't understand this. Even though there was a stay the removal order came under the Obama administratio... So what is really going on?
                              Sound like he was felon drug trafficker.

http://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opin...1a0077p-06.pdf

Sad!

Comment