Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Health Exam - Bad News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I wasn't aware there were so many practicing MD's on this forum who can make diagnoses over the internet. tWeb truly is blessed.
    I wonder how much they will be able to charge for ‘online physicals.’
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      I am on statins, but I wouldn't describe my health as "excellent", as per Trump's tame doctor. My health is OK, not excellent. But unlike Trump my cholesterol levels are under control, wheres Trump's levels are far from being under control...unsurprisingly given his propensity for cheese burgers, lack of exercise and obesity. The man's a slob. His self-control re his eating habits is on a per with his libido, i.e. he has none at all.
      Eating cholesterol doesn't cause high cholesterol. Doctors abandoned that idea decades ago. Your body creates it's own cholesterol. Eating fatty food is just bad for you for other reasons. And eating sugar is worst for cholesterol than anything else, It causes high triglycerides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Eating cholesterol doesn't cause high cholesterol. Doctors abandoned that idea decades ago.
        It's why eggs went from being regarded as satan's breakfast to being a part of a well-balanced diet.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Eating cholesterol doesn't cause high cholesterol. Doctors abandoned that idea a year or so ago.
          Fixed. It wasn't doctors, but bro scientists on the internet who have been saying this for decades.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Fixed. It wasn't doctors, but bro scientists on the internet who have been saying this for decades.
            Been a lot longer than a year or two. My doctor told me that at least 9 years ago.

Comment

Eating cholesterol doesn't cause high cholesterol. Doctors abandoned that idea decades ago. Your body creates it's own cholesterol. Eating fatty food is just bad for you for other reasons. And eating sugar is worst for cholesterol than anything else, It causes high triglycerides.
              Talk about playing doctor. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Eating fatty foods is a factor in heightening your cholesterol. Any doctor will tell you that! Before arguing the fact, like you all have done concerning heart disease, try looking it up first, rather than pulling it out of your .....

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Talk about playing doctor. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Eating fatty foods is a factor in heightening your cholesterol. Any doctor will tell you that! Before arguing the fact, like you all have done concerning heart disease, try looking it up first, rather than pulling it out of your .....
                You are way behind JimL. This is why nobody takes you seriously.

Why You Should No Longer Worry About Cholesterol in Food
                Genetics appear to be playing a stronger role in heart disease

For years, we’ve been told to avoid high-cholesterol foods for heart health, but those days may be coming to an end.

A top nutrition advisory committee says people no longer have to be concerned about eating foods that are high in cholesterol. The committee’s report, which was released today, will help shape the next version of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, set to be released later this year.

High levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease, are still a health concern. What’s changed is that many researchers and physicians now believe that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs may not affect the cholesterol that is in your blood.

However, people with certain health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich foods, the report says.
                It’s complicated

Cholesterol is a waxy substance that ultimately ends up in the walls of arteries. It causes the plaques that lead to heart attacks and strokes. The current U.S. Dietary Guidelines call for a daily cholesterol limit of 300 milligrams.

Researchers are beginning to understand in greater depth that the relationship between cholesterol and the body is extremely complicated.

The body regulates how much cholesterol is in your blood.
                There’s different kinds of cholesterol. Low-density lipoprotein or LDL (bad) cholesterol contributes to plaque buildup along with triglycerides, another lipid. High-density lipoprotein or HDL (good) cholesterol discourages plaque buildup.
                The way people process cholesterol differs. Some people appear to be more vulnerable to cholesterol-rich diets.

Research is beginning to show that your genetic makeup – not diet – is the driving force behind cholesterol levels, says cardiologist Steven Nissen, MD.

The body creates cholesterol in amounts much larger than what you can eat, Dr. Nissen says. So avoiding foods that are high in cholesterol won’t affect your blood cholesterol levels very much.

“About 85 percent of the cholesterol in the circulation is manufactured by the body in the liver,” he says. “It isn’t coming directly from the cholesterol that you eat.”
                https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...terol-in-food/

Comment

• I bet lil' Jimmy still thinks the food pyramid is valid, and that eating pizza causes acne.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I bet lil' Jimmy still thinks the food pyramid is valid, and that eating pizza causes acne.
                    I picture JimL as living in a basement and hasn't gone outside in 20 years.

parents-basement.jpg

Comment

You are way behind JimL. This is why nobody takes you seriously.

Why You Should No Longer Worry About Cholesterol in Food
                      Genetics appear to be playing a stronger role in heart disease

For years, we’ve been told to avoid high-cholesterol foods for heart health, but those days may be coming to an end.

A top nutrition advisory committee says people no longer have to be concerned about eating foods that are high in cholesterol. The committee’s report, which was released today, will help shape the next version of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, set to be released later this year.

High levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease, are still a health concern. What’s changed is that many researchers and physicians now believe that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs may not affect the cholesterol that is in your blood.

However, people with certain health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich foods, the report says.
                      It’s complicated

Cholesterol is a waxy substance that ultimately ends up in the walls of arteries. It causes the plaques that lead to heart attacks and strokes. The current U.S. Dietary Guidelines call for a daily cholesterol limit of 300 milligrams.

Researchers are beginning to understand in greater depth that the relationship between cholesterol and the body is extremely complicated.

The body regulates how much cholesterol is in your blood.
                      There’s different kinds of cholesterol. Low-density lipoprotein or LDL (bad) cholesterol contributes to plaque buildup along with triglycerides, another lipid. High-density lipoprotein or HDL (good) cholesterol discourages plaque buildup.
                      The way people process cholesterol differs. Some people appear to be more vulnerable to cholesterol-rich diets.

Research is beginning to show that your genetic makeup – not diet – is the driving force behind cholesterol levels, says cardiologist Steven Nissen, MD.

The body creates cholesterol in amounts much larger than what you can eat, Dr. Nissen says. So avoiding foods that are high in cholesterol won’t affect your blood cholesterol levels very much.

“About 85 percent of the cholesterol in the circulation is manufactured by the body in the liver,” he says. “It isn’t coming directly from the cholesterol that you eat.”
                      https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...terol-in-food/
                      Ah, that is one article from 2015, and it is one opinion that I never heard before, true. But most doctors disagree and continue to treat patients by restricting their dietary intake of high cholesterol foods. Here is a 2017 doctors opinion from the same Cleveland clinic that you cited from 2015.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/20...e-can-tell-you
                      And you can go and google a thousand doctors who will tell you the same thing. I already posted the Mayo Clinic's position which was posted in 2017.

Comment

I bet lil' Jimmy still thinks the food pyramid is valid, and that eating pizza causes acne.
                        I can eat pizza?!?!?!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Ah, that is one article from 2015, and it is one opinion that I never heard before, true. But most doctors disagree and continue to treat patients by restricting their dietary intake of high cholesterol foods. Here is a 2017 doctors opinion from the same Cleveland clinic that you cited from 2015.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/20...e-can-tell-you
                          And you can go and google a thousand doctors who will tell you the same thing. I already posted the Mayo Clinic's position which was posted in 2017.
                          JimL your article is from the same place and doesn't counter what the article I quoted said.

No Jim, MOST doctors do not agree with you. I have had liver and cholesterol problems my whole life and have seen many doctors and dieticians about it. Every single one has told me what I told you: Eating cholesterol doesn't make your cholesterol go up. Your body and liver create it's own cholesterol. Eating fatty foods has other health problems and can contribute a slight bit to your cholesterol problem. Also eating sugary foods can also trigger high triglycerides (bad cholesterol). So yes, eating can raise your cholesterol but not necessarily eating cholesterol or fatty foods. And certain food can even lower your cholesterol (like oats and fish oil) - but your body makes about 85% of the cholesterol in your blood. So even if you eat vegetarian you can still have high cholesterol, and even if you eat nothing but bacon and fast food you can have low cholesterol - it depends on your genetics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I can eat pizza?!?!?!
                            Pizza is a triangle, like a food pyramid. So it is safe to eat.

Comment

JimL your article is from the same place and doesn't counter what the article I quoted said.

No Jim, MOST doctors do not agree with you. I have had liver and cholesterol problems my whole life and have seen many doctors and dieticians about it. Every single one has told me what I told you: Eating cholesterol doesn't make your cholesterol go up. Your body and liver create it's own cholesterol. Eating fatty foods has other health problems and can contribute a slight bit to your cholesterol problem. Also eating sugary foods can also trigger high triglycerides (bad cholesterol). So yes, eating can raise your cholesterol but not necessarily eating cholesterol or fatty foods. And certain food can even lower your cholesterol (like oats and fish oil) - but your body makes about 85% of the cholesterol in your blood. So even if you eat vegetarian you can still have high cholesterol, and even if you eat nothing but bacon and fast food you can have low cholesterol - it depends on your genetics.
                              And cholesterol isn't necessarily cholesterol. There's what's referred to the "good" and the "bad", and it seems they're constantly changing the way they relate. At the news conference, when one of the reporters yelled out about the "bad cholesterol", the doc was quick to point that out.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Pizza is a triangle, like a food pyramid. So it is safe to eat.
                                Good, cause it's right up there with chocolate as one of my favorite food groups.

Comment