Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Nintendo Labo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Labo.

This is Nintendo Labo.

I would have loved this as a kid. Especially the transforming robot one. This is the kind of extreme creativity that has kept Nintendo around all of these years.

I am down for this. It is not just a peripheral games will be made for this.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      I am down for this. It is not just a peripheral games will be made for this.
      That, and they are made out of cardboard, so should be easy to build/replace if they get damaged.

Comment

Nintendo does tend to do its best work when it’s seriously pressed and needs a ace in the hole IE the Wii on the heels of the heels of the GameCube fail or the Switch on the heels of the WiiU fail.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Nintendo does tend to do its best work when it’s seriously pressed and needs a ace in the hole IE the Wii on the heels of the heels of the GameCube fail or the Switch on the heels of the WiiU fail.
          Their ability to innovate has certainly pulled them out of some rough spots. Although sometimes it's gotten them into more trouble. Think the Virtual Boy, and the Wii U. They also put way too much focus on trying to grab the more casual audience, and started dumbing down some of their games. They completely gutted Paper Mario, and made stuff like Super Mario 3D Land so easy it was boring for me to play.

With the Switch however, they seem to be moving back the other direction. The new Zelda has no hand holding at all, and not even a real tutorial. The new Mario starts off easy, but once you get a bit further the difficulty ramps up pretty fast. I can't wait for what they do with Metroid Prime 4.

Comment

they obviously stole the idea from Google Cardboard, so how is this "creative?"

What are they charging for these cardboard kits?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              they obviously stole the idea from Google Cardboard, so how is this "creative?"

What are they charging for these cardboard kits?
              Google Cardboard does one thing that I've seen, gives you a cheap VR headset. Nintendo Labo gives you games for the Switch, and the cardboard needed to build the varying accessories for each individual minigame. Taking an idea much further than someone else is still creative. This is just the first set of accessories/games that we know about.

$70 for the Variety Pack, and $80 for the Robot Pack IIRC. The games alone are usually $60, so $10-20 for the cardboard and parts that go into building the accessories. They also have it set up where they will be giving out free replacements if it ends up breaking too easily. I'm guessing they have a limit on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Google Cardboard does one thing that I've seen, gives you a cheap VR headset. Nintendo Labo gives you games for the Switch, and the cardboard needed to build the varying accessories for each individual minigame. Taking an idea much further than someone else is still creative. This is just the first set of accessories/games that we know about.

$70 for the Variety Pack, and $80 for the Robot Pack IIRC. The games alone are usually $60, so $10-20 for the cardboard and parts that go into building the accessories. They also have it set up where they will be giving out free replacements if it ends up breaking too easily. I'm guessing they have a limit on that.
                well I guess that is creative, getting people to spend an extra $20 for some cardboard that costs pennies

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  well I guess that is creative, getting people to spend an extra $20 for some cardboard that costs pennies
                  From what I understand there are more parts than that, and the cardboard is also set up in a way to make assembly easier. I mean, they will probably have a digital download of the software available so you can just go get your own cardboard.

Comment