Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New California declares "independence" from California in bid to become 51st state

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

New California declares "independence" from California in bid to become 51st state

A curious bit of news I just read about; wondering how true it is...

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1036681001
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    A curious bit of news I just read about; wondering how true it is...

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1036681001
    I saw it yesterday - they seem serious but are just in the early stages.

Even if serious, it's a hard thing to pull off. Be hysterical if they did, though.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The idea certainly has merit, like excising a tumor from an otherwise healthy body, but the California legislature would never agree to give up their empire.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I doubt it will happen because it will shake up the political landscape too much for the Democrats (much like Puerto Rico statehood will for the Republicans). Than again I was surprised this election so you never know.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I doubt it will happen because it will shake up the political landscape too much for the Democrats (much like Puerto Rico statehood will for the Republicans). Than again I was surprised this election so you never know.
    Yeah, it would mean more state representatives be allotted to those newly created states, along with 2 senators each, and really mess up the electoral map, particularly for Democrats.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it would mean more state representatives be allotted to those newly created states, along with 2 senators each, and really mess up the electoral map, particularly for Democrats.
    Yep, much like how Puerto Rico would cause issues for Republicans. The only way I could see it reasonably happen is if Democrats would get Puerto Rico as a state in return.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    every time some crackpot decides he wants to split up California it makes the news. This is probably a single idiot living in his mom's basement who made a website.

There is no logistical way this could happen.

But I bet California would love to become several states and pick up extra Senators and be able to control congress.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    every time some crackpot decides he wants to split up California it makes the news. This is probably a single idiot living in his mom's basement who made a website.

There is no logistical way this could happen.

But I bet California would love to become several states and pick up extra Senators and be able to control congress.
    Thereís been proposals to split the state going back to the 1940ís. Plus, California does have a pretty large Republican population. California has the second most Republicans in Congress. Itís just the population centers are heavy Democrat areas and therefore pull the EC in favor of Democrats. Splitting the state in that way could give Republicans 2 senate seats and more EC votes for the presidential election. Itís why I donít think it will happen. It could give Republicans a lot of advantages in the national level. About the only possible way I could see is if DC or Puerto Rico was given statehood.
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, rep is by pop. It would only increase the Senate size.