Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New California declares "independence" from California in bid to become 51st state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New California declares "independence" from California in bid to become 51st state

A curious bit of news I just read about; wondering how true it is...

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1036681001
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Or even three states....

california-still-x16x9.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
      A curious bit of news I just read about; wondering how true it is...

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1036681001
      I saw it yesterday - they seem serious but are just in the early stages.

Even if serious, it's a hard thing to pull off. Be hysterical if they did, though.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The idea certainly has merit, like excising a tumor from an otherwise healthy body, but the California legislature would never agree to give up their empire.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I doubt it will happen because it will shake up the political landscape too much for the Democrats (much like Puerto Rico statehood will for the Republicans). Than again I was surprised this election so you never know.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            I doubt it will happen because it will shake up the political landscape too much for the Democrats (much like Puerto Rico statehood will for the Republicans). Than again I was surprised this election so you never know.
            Yeah, it would mean more state representatives be allotted to those newly created states, along with 2 senators each, and really mess up the electoral map, particularly for Democrats.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, it would mean more state representatives be allotted to those newly created states, along with 2 senators each, and really mess up the electoral map, particularly for Democrats.
              Yep, much like how Puerto Rico would cause issues for Republicans. The only way I could see it reasonably happen is if Democrats would get Puerto Rico as a state in return.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

every time some crackpot decides he wants to split up California it makes the news. This is probably a single idiot living in his mom's basement who made a website.

There is no logistical way this could happen.

But I bet California would love to become several states and pick up extra Senators and be able to control congress.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  every time some crackpot decides he wants to split up California it makes the news. This is probably a single idiot living in his mom's basement who made a website.

There is no logistical way this could happen.

But I bet California would love to become several states and pick up extra Senators and be able to control congress.
                  There’s been proposals to split the state going back to the 1940’s. Plus, California does have a pretty large Republican population. California has the second most Republicans in Congress. It’s just the population centers are heavy Democrat areas and therefore pull the EC in favor of Democrats. Splitting the state in that way could give Republicans 2 senate seats and more EC votes for the presidential election. It’s why I don’t think it will happen. It could give Republicans a lot of advantages in the national level. About the only possible way I could see is if DC or Puerto Rico was given statehood.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, rep is by pop. It would only increase the Senate size.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      The number of reps is sort of based on population, but the total is set by law in 1911 at 435.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The number of reps is sort of based on population, but the total is set by law in 1911 at 435.
                        Right, so there is no increase. Dividing a state divides the pop so the total doesn't change.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Correct, but the reps would probably have to be redistributed among the "new states" based on population.

Comment

Correct, but the reps would probably have to be redistributed among the "new states" based on population.
                            Right.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

None of this surprises me anymore. Oregon has been talking about splitting the state in the middle for years-because on the west side of the Cascades (including Portland) is the liberal side while the east side of the Cascares (discluding Bend) is the conservative side of the state. Same story for Washington. The Cascade Mountain range serves as our "iron curtain" as it were...
                              I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment