Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Apple CEO Tim Cook cites GOP tax reform as driver in $350B US investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple CEO Tim Cook cites GOP tax reform as driver in $350B US investment

Apple CEO Tim Cook cites GOP tax reform as driver in $350B US investment

Following Apple's announcement of plans to repatriate a chunk of its overseas cash to infuse some $350 billion into the U.S. economy over the next five years, CEO Tim Cook took part in an interview addressing the company's investment strategy, the iPhone slowdown controversy and more.

Speaking with ABC News' "World News Tonight with David Muir," Cook discussed the intricacies of Apple's forthcoming investment, which will incur a foreign tax bill of $38 billion.

Earlier on Wednesday, Apple foreshadowed a major shift in financial policy when it announced plans to repatriate a portion of its overseas cash hoard, a move that will pump $350 billion into the U.S. economy. That money will in part go toward a new campus and the generation of 20,000 jobs.

The company expects to pay $38 billion in taxes on the repatriated funds, a sum it says is the largest ever of its kind.

In a one-on-one with reporter Rebecca Jarvis, Cook explained that recent U.S. tax policy changes allowed for the huge capital commitment. Still, the executive insists that some changes, perhaps the grant of employee stock bonuses, would have been made "in any situation."

"Let me be clear, there are large parts of this that are a result of the tax reform, and there's large parts of this that we would have done in any situation," Cook said.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

That's quite an admission from Apple. They are a very liberal hippy-dippy company.

Comment

I scanned some of the liberal reactions to this - basically accusing Apple of 'getting a huge windfall'. I guess a deal is only a "good deal" if it's entirely one-sided.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah boy, making America great again!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Thanks, Obama!
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            That's quite an admission from Apple. They are a very liberal hippy-dippy company.
            Apple exists for one reason, and one reason only: to make money. Financial reform at the federal level that improves their ability to make a profit is always welcomed, even by liberal hippy-dippy companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Apple exists for one reason, and one reason only: to make money. Financial reform at the federal level that improves their ability to make a profit is always welcomed, even by liberal hippy-dippy companies.
              It must be very confusing to be a liberal company like Apple in California. On one hand you have to agree with the liberals that corporations and rich people are evil, and on the other hand you ARE the rich people and corporations that everyone hates. Same with Hollywood.

If you make a profit you are the very thing you hate. But it doesn't seem to stop them.

Comment

It must be very confusing to be a liberal company like Apple in California. On one hand you have to agree with the liberals that corporations and rich people are evil, and on the other hand you ARE the rich people and corporations that everyone hates. Same with Hollywood.

If you make a profit you are the very thing you hate. But it doesn't seem to stop them.
                That's because only rich conservatives are a problem. Liberals, on the other hand, are allowed to be filthy rich and drive around in gas-guzzling, pollution spewing limos and private jets because they're "responsible", and deep down they really "care" even if their behavior seems contradictory and hypocritical to the unwashed masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  That's because only rich conservatives are a problem. Liberals, on the other hand, are allowed to be filthy rich and drive around in gas-guzzling, pollution spewing limos and private jets because they're "responsible", and deep down they really "care" even if their behavior seems contradictory and hypocritical to the unwashed masses.
                  I think I will make myself an liberal environmental company. Then since I am only one person, I use very little carbon. As a company, I will have oodles of carbon credits left over which I can sell to rich hollywood sleazebags and become a rich liberal which they will love.

Comment

I think I will make myself an liberal environmental company. Then since I am only one person, I use very little carbon. As a company, I will have oodles of carbon credits left over which I can sell to rich hollywood sleazebags and become a rich liberal which they will love.
                    gp_logo_sticker_400x400.jpg
                    Sparko Co: A Green Company

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]26008[/ATTACH]
                      Sparko Co: A Green Company
                      perfect.

Today I didn't burn down 5 million acres of rainforest and didn't burn 1 million barrels of oil. That means I have about 1 billion carbon credits I can sell.

Comment

perfect.

Today I didn't burn down 5 million acres of rainforest and didn't burn 1 million barrels of oil. That means I have about 1 billion carbon credits I can sell.
                        Hey, you're getting into Jed's and my "didn't raise hogs" routine! I didn't raise more hogs than the acres of rainforest you didn't burn! And hogs = methane!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Hey, you're getting into Jed's and my "didn't raise hogs" routine! I didn't raise more hogs than the acres of rainforest you didn't burn! And hogs = methane!!!!
                          We should form a co-op. And get paid not to pollute the earth, like the farmers who get paid not to grow corn.

Comment

We should form a co-op. And get paid not to pollute the earth, like the farmers who get paid not to grow corn.
                            For all them hogs I'm not raising, I have to not grow acres and acres and hectares of corn!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              For all them hogs I'm not raising, I have to not grow acres and acres and hectares of corn!
                              I am not so sure about the not raising hogs thar, pardner! Think of how much bacon you are not making!!! Are you some kind of commie? The right thing to do would be to actually raise the hogs, then slaughter them to make bacon which would save on all that methane they could have made had they not been slaughtered, and still have bacon!

Comment