Thread: Craig Keener - Miracles

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Craig Keener - Miracles

Has anyone read his book on Miracles?

I was listening to Habermas' lecture on doubt and he referenced this book. I have to admit that I don't know much about Keener.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post

I was listening to Habermas' lecture on doubt and he referenced this book. I have to admit that I don't know much about Keener.
    Yes, I have.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Craig Keener is great. I think he's probably mostly known for his thorough and balanced New Testament commentaries, though he's written quite a bit on a number of topics. I haven't read through all of Miracles yet (it's a 2 volume set), but it's very well laid out, and I think there's something for everyone interested in the topic. Totally worth checking out if you're interested.

4. Amen Chaotic Void amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Yes, I have.
    What did you think?

I read a review that suggested that Keener seemed to endorse a number of televangelists / prosperity gospel preachers.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Craig Keener is great. I think he's probably mostly known for his thorough and balanced New Testament commentaries, though he's written quite a bit on a number of topics. I haven't read through all of Miracles yet (it's a 2 volume set), but it's very well laid out, and I think there's something for everyone interested in the topic. Totally worth checking out if you're interested.
    I have never read Keener but I have to admit that a potential endorsement of the televangelist / prosperity gospel types left me unsettled.

7. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have never read Keener but I have to admit that a potential endorsement of the televangelist / prosperity gospel types left me unsettled.
    Keener is legit. I don't remember him ever endorsing televangelists and/or prosperity preachers in the sections I've read. He does report a number of documented miracles in the second volume, with sources where he can find them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What did you think?

I read a review that suggested that Keener seemed to endorse a number of televangelists / prosperity gospel preachers.
    Linky?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

10. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What did you think?
    I though it was pretty thoroughly researched, and he provided plenty of citations to source materials.
    Keener included some miracles attributed to televangelists. I don't recall them being endorsed; in fact, I seem to recall him denying any such blanket endorsement, and acknowledging that their work was often problematic. It's a lot of material to wade through to refute something so lacking in specifics, however.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here is his Web site.

Dr. Keener really doesn't generally do "blanket" endorsements or condemnations.

On that site, you will find, among other things, his rebuttal to James White's [Edit: Ack! Brain-fart! MacArthur's, not White's) "Strange Fire" polemic.

Elsewhere (I don't care to track it down now) one can find him affirming that he himself has several times experienced "cathartic laughter," what some might call "holy laughter" or "laughing in the Spirit."

OTOH, he has also said that when ministering outside the U.S., he often avoids using the "Charismatic" label, specifically because people in other countries tend to associate it with "Prosperity" or "Positive Confession" teachings, and he does not identify with those.

Some time ago, he wrote a book opposing Word-Faith teachings, but it was never translated into English. (I believe it was some African language. His wife is African, and I think he met her while ministering there.)
    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 01-18-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I apologize for insinuating that Keener endorsed televangelists / prosperity gospel people.

I read the review more carefully and while the author of said review wants to make that connection, it seems that Keener was simply referring to them as faith healings.

14. Amen rogue06, KingsGambit amen'd this post.