Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craig Keener - Miracles

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I believe Keener's denominational affiliation is the Assemblies of God. He's strongly charismatic.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Keener was ordained by the National Baptist Convention, an African-American Baptist group with strong ties to the Holiness-Pentecostal movement. He has lectured and preached at various Baptist, Pentecostal, and Evangelical bodies.

One of my Academic deans (at a self described "Evangelical-Pentecostal-Charismatic" Bible College for what its worth) named Keener as perhaps the most important voice in modern New Testament studies.

Edit: Sourced from his website Craigkeener.com
    Last edited by Pentecost; 01-19-2018 at 02:02 AM.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was actually having a conversation about Keener's denomination yesterday...

The book is excellent, though long. Some of the miracles related are explicable through natural means, like a spleen regrowing. Others are not.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Dr. Keener would be considered "Pentecostal" in that he regularly practices "praying in tongues," and occasionally operates in "prophecy." He would probably not be classified as a "traditional" Pentecostal, since he doesn't seem to believe that baptism in the Spirit is "separate and subsequent" relative to regeneration, and does not believe Scripture supports "messages" in tongues.

I was going to give a bit of info about his educational background and about his church affiliation over the years, but based on the Introduction to Gift and Giver -- The Holy Spirit for Today, both are so eclectic that I just don't have the patience.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Dr. Keener would be considered "Pentecostal" in that he regularly practices "praying in tongues," and occasionally operates in "prophecy." He would probably not be classified as a "traditional" Pentecostal, since he doesn't seem to believe that baptism in the Spirit is "separate and subsequent" relative to regeneration, and does not believe Scripture supports "messages" in tongues.

I was going to give a bit of info about his educational background and about his church affiliation over the years, but based on the Introduction to Gift and Giver -- The Holy Spirit for Today, both are so eclectic that I just don't have the patience.
    Eh, maybe "Pentecostal" in the most general of senses. If the above is true, he'd be considered charismatic, not necessarily denominationally Pentecostal. There are Catholics who believe in praying in tongues and occasional operations in prophecy, they definitely wouldn't be considered denominationally "Pentecostal". I think both are possible (as probably do most of the people on this forum who are not strict cessationists), and I don't consider myself Pentecostal, but I'm fine with accepting the label charismatic.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    I was actually having a conversation about Keener's denomination yesterday...

The book is excellent, though long. Some of the miracles related are explicable through natural means, like a spleen regrowing. Others are not.
    I listend to a talk he gave and he referred to man regrowing his small intestines. Did he provide evidence in the form of records, doc interviews, etc?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post
    I listend to a talk he gave and he referred to man regrowing his small intestines. Did he provide evidence in the form of records, doc interviews, etc?
    I don't remember him mentioning that in the book (maybe happened after he published it). Probably this is the case in question? https://jamesbishopblog.com/2016/11/...o-obstruction/

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I don't remember him mentioning that in the book (maybe happened after he published it). Probably this is the case in question? https://jamesbishopblog.com/2016/11/...o-obstruction/
    That isn't the one but that is a good one.

This guy got basically cut in half my a truck.

Skeptical account:

http://www.freethunk.net/freethunk-n...-say-what-2949

Religious account:

http://www1.cbn.com/700club/bruce-va...a-saved-angels

Media account:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...erates-6768288

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post
    That isn't the one but that is a good one.

This guy got basically cut in half my a truck.

Skeptical account:

http://www.freethunk.net/freethunk-n...-say-what-2949

Religious account:

http://www1.cbn.com/700club/bruce-va...a-saved-angels

Media account:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...erates-6768288
    I'll check through Miracles later tonight to see if he mentions it.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Eh, maybe "Pentecostal" in the most general of senses. If the above is true, he'd be considered charismatic, not necessarily denominationally Pentecostal. There are Catholics who believe in praying in tongues and occasional operations in prophecy, they definitely wouldn't be considered denominationally "Pentecostal". I think both are possible (as probably do most of the people on this forum who are not strict cessationists), and I don't consider myself Pentecostal, but I'm fine with accepting the label charismatic.
    That's pretty much my view of the terminology. But Gordon Fee has been even more emphatic in rejecting "separate and subsequent" and "messages" in tongues, but still calls himself "Pentecostal" and still remains part of the AG. (In his case, the fact of his lifelong association with Pentecostalism and the AG in particular may be part of the reason for his directly addressing points of Pentecostalism -- and AG "Fundamental Truths" -- that he disputes.)

I'm fine with either label for myself.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."