Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

2020 Trump Forecast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    and we don't accept it.
    As you wish...

But you seem to expect us to, otherwise why state it and then defend it? Yet when we give our opinion you are all over us about it demanding studies and so on.
    I respond to posts with my thoughts. I give my opinion when I feel like giving my opinion (it IS a discussion board, after all) or, in real life, when asked to. What someone else does with that is their business.

So where's your scientific study? charts? evidence?
    I've provided links to the information I find compelling as I've gone along, including two studies about the flight myth. I've also noted that no such studies appear to exist for business data, so the best I can say is, "you've failed to make your case that it IS happening." I'm inclinded to think it isn't based on the other studies, but I do not have chart/statistics to defend that opinion.

PS you even told me to call you out on it when you do this, remember?
    Yep. I did. I also asked you to provide links to the post where you think I had done it. Since I haven't done it that I can see, I'm not sure what you're objecting to.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      As you wish...
      Thanks, Wesley.

I respond to posts with my thoughts. I give my opinion when I feel like giving my opinion (it IS a discussion board, after all) or, in real life, when asked to. What someone else does with that is their business.
      Then allow us the same privilege.

I've provided links to the information I find compelling as I've gone along, including two studies about the flight myth. I've also noted that no such studies appear to exist for business data, so the best I can say is, "you've failed to make your case that it IS happening." I'm inclinded to think it isn't based on the other studies, but I do not have chart/statistics to defend that opinion.
      I am talking about your post in this thread about what you think about Republicans and "it's all about the economy" blather.

Yep. I did. I also asked you to provide links to the post where you think I had done it. Since I haven't done it that I can see, I'm not sure what you're objecting to.
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post510648
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post510863

Comment

Thanks, Wesley.
        You're welcome!

Then allow us the same privilege.
        You seem to be complaining that I'm disagreeing with your opinion? At no point have I said anything to suggest people should not be expressing their opinions, so I'm not sure what "privilege" you think I'm denying anyone.

I am talking about your post in this thread about what you think about Republicans and "it's all about the economy" blather.
        Then I have no statistics to point you to. My opinion is formed on the basis of the sources I listed in my previous post. You're welcome to disagree if you wish. It's not likely to change my opinion until/if I see a difference in the sources I cited.

And your objection to these is...?

Sparko - I see two posts in which I expressed an opinion and outlined what information informs that opinion. That you disagree is clear. However, it is not clear that I have in any way restricted your ability to post, express your disagreement, or anything else. What exactly are you so worked up about?
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You're welcome!

You seem to be complaining that I'm disagreeing with your opinion? At no point have I said anything to suggest people should not be expressing their opinions, so I'm not sure what "privilege" you think I'm denying anyone.

Then I have no statistics to point you to. My opinion is formed on the basis of the sources I listed in my previous post. You're welcome to disagree if you wish. It's not likely to change my opinion until/if I see a difference in the sources I cited.

And your objection to these is...?
          And around we go.

Comment

As best I can tell, you seem to be objecting that I don't agree with you and haven't found your arguments compelling.

Is that what you're trying to say? If not, I have no clue what you're so worked up about.

BTW - I went back and reviewed each post you linked to. I'm afraid I'm not finding anything inappropriate. I expressed an opinion, explained why I hold that opinion, and that's about it.
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-22-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

As best I can tell, you seem to be objecting that I don't agree with you and haven't found your arguments compelling.

Is that what you're trying to say? If not, I have no clue what you're so worked up about.
              I am complaining that when ever someone presents their side of an argument (like rogue did with the company's leaving california) you just find a way to dismiss it as "opinion" or some such and start demanding more proof and studies and such. Yet when you present something you seem to expect us to accept it and not just dismiss it as opinion and think that your opinion is enough. Seems like a double standard. Your view holds weight while other's is dismissed. A convenient way to reinforce and solidify your own views.

You probably don't even notice it or believe me. But ask Cow Poke or Rogue06 or anyone else and I think they would probably tell you the same thing I am.

Comment

I am complaining that when ever someone presents their side of an argument (like rogue did with the company's leaving california) you just find a way to dismiss it as "opinion" or some such and start demanding more proof and studies and such. Yet when you present something you seem to expect us to accept it and not just dismiss it as opinion and think that your opinion is enough. Seems like a double standard. Your view holds weight while other's is dismissed. A convenient way to reinforce and solidify your own views.

You probably don't even notice it or believe me. But ask Cow Poke or Rogue06 or anyone else and I think they would probably tell you the same thing I am.
                Your objection is noted. I don't dismiss "any" argument - I dismiss the ones I find uncompelling and I explain why each time. As for my expectations, I have stated several times now that I have no such expectations. If you read my posts, you will find that I am fairly careful to frame them in terms of what I do and do not accept and why. What others do and do not accept is entirely their business. That you continue to refuse to believe this is not something I can control. You either believe me, or you don't. Whether you believe me about that is not of significant consequence to me. I know what I am thinking and what I expect. It's does not match what you are claiming.

With respect to Republican priorities, my opinion is that "economy" is the dominant argument, and that opinion is formed from discussions here and other conservative sites, right-leaning news sources, statements from Republican leadership at all government levels, and discussions with Republican friends and family. I've seen nothing presented here that gives me cause to question that opinion, except some strong objections from some of the same people who continually return to "the economy" in most discussions related to these matters.

Concerning business/individual exodus, the studies I linked to document that individual exodus is a myth. Rogue provided news articles of companies leaving, which constitutes "examples." There was no information related to rate of departure, and the other data points that would provide a complete picture. As I have noted multiple times, examples are not arguments. I also do not have data/charts to prove/show that businesses are NOT leaving - the data does not seem to exist (that I can find), so the best I can say is "the claim they are departing due to taxes at a significant level has not been shown to be true." That is not the same as claiming it is "untrue." My gut tells me that the same myth at work with respect to individuals is probably at work with respect to businesses. There is a body of evidence that shows that serious tax cutting has a negative impact on the economy - not a positive one. But it is not "proof positive" and there is no formal data about it.

Beyond that, I will have to leave you to your objections. I do not see anything in my posts that is inappropriate, and your perceived "double standard" is apparently in your own mind, not in my actions or expectations. I do not have the expectations you accuse me of having.

At this point, I think we've been around this horn more than enough. I'll leave the last word to you if you wish to express it.
                Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-22-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment