Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Hypocrisy of Chuck Schumer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Agreed.

And I don't believe in miracles.
    Well, no one is perfect...*

*bonus points if you can name the movie reference.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

That would make all of our politicians hungry
      Might give them the needed motivation to...I don't know...do their jobs?
      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Hmm, good point. Under Carter in 1978, Carter vetoed the budget because he wanted to get rid of wasteful defense funding (Carter was a pretty good President defense-wise IMO), and naturally the military industrial complex was encouraging Congress to vote for wasteful funding, so there was an 18-day stand-off that Carter won. And the year before that, there had been a shutdown because the democratic controlled House and Senate couldn't agree among themselves with regard to Medicaid funding for abortion, so there was a 12 day shutdown.
        Thankfully Reagan was able to restore our depleted military strength, forcing the Soviet's into an arms race they could not win and which was in large measure a reason why the USSR collapsed (which I'm sure entailed much wailing and gnashing of teeth on your part).

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"Carter was a pretty good President defense-wise IMO..."

This was the same Carter who was such a pushover that he had terrorists thumbing their nose at him for a solid year only to immediately release their hostages hours after Reagan was inaugurated.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "Carter was a pretty good President defense-wise IMO..."

This was the same Carter who was such a pushover that he had terrorists thumbing their nose at him for a solid year only to immediately release their hostages hours after Reagan was inaugurated.
            The left could not accept the fact that the Iranians held Carter in utter contempt but were scared of Reagan so they concocted a wild conspiracy theory about Reagan colluding with them to steal... the... election.

Wow. History really DOES repeat itself

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX HAPPY SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
              Well, no one is perfect...*

*bonus points if you can name the movie reference.

The quote is actually, "Well, nobody's perfect."

It's from "Some Like it Hot" (Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmmon). The line is spoken by Osgood.

Never challenge an old foggie on an old movie!
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Might give them the needed motivation to...I don't know...do their jobs?
                Possible - but doubtful...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Hmm, good point. Under Carter in 1978, Carter vetoed the budget because he wanted to get rid of wasteful defense funding (Carter was a pretty good President defense-wise IMO), and naturally the military industrial complex was encouraging Congress to vote for wasteful funding, so there was an 18-day stand-off that Carter won. And the year before that, there had been a shutdown because the democratic controlled House and Senate couldn't agree among themselves with regard to Medicaid funding for abortion, so there was a 12 day shutdown.
                  Umm... I could not disagree more. Carter was a very weak president in terms of defense. He did try to hold the line on defense spending, which no other president since then has done. The military remains the one agency in government, AFAIK, that has never had a thorough audit and is desperately in need of one. Someone needs to explain to me why we need to pump more money into a part of our budget that exceeds the military spending (per capita) of almost any nation on earth, and still is, somehow, "weak" and "under-funded." We want to hold every other part of our government accountable, but somehow it becomes "unpatriotic" if someone suggests that we should also be holding the military establishment accountable.

Comment

The quote is actually, "Well, nobody's perfect."

It's from "Some Like it Hot" (Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmmon). The line is spoken by Osgood.

Never challenge an old foggie on an old movie!
                    I grew up on old movies, myself. Don't let my "age and inexperience" fool you. I cause my professors' mouths to drop because I quote Jacques Clousseu or other old time shows that I'm supposed to be too young to be familiar with. Well done!

I also happen to be a huge Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau fan.
                    I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Possible - but doubtful...
                      Alas, then again, I feel the same for their pension packages and whatnot.
                      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I grew up on old movies, myself. Don't let my "age and inexperience" fool you. I cause my professors' mouths to drop because I quote Jacques Clousseu or other old time shows that I'm supposed to be too young to be familiar with. Well done!

Then there is some hope for you!

Now we just need to drag you into the moderate/atheist camp!

Comment

Now we just need to drag you into the moderate/atheist camp!
                          Then you do believe in miracles, after all.
                          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Yeah, I grew up more on older TV shows. I Love Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie etc. People misjudge my age all of the time in both directions. If it weren't for the fact that I have a beard, I would still be judged younger due to my appearance. For a long time some people thought I was the younger brother in my family.

Comment

Then you do believe in miracles, after all.
                              Nicely done.

Comment

You're a crazy moron.

In related crazy moron news:
                                White House targets filibuster, calls for 'nuclear option' as shutdown enters day 2:

The White House on Sunday called for Senate Republicans to change the chamber's rules to resolve the funding impasse as the government shutdown continued into its second day.

President Donald Trump tweeted his call for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to invoke the so-called nuclear option and thereby remove leverage for Senate Democrats...

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said on CNN's "State of the Union" that eliminating the filibuster would be one avenue they back to ending the shutdown.

Senate rules impose a threshold of 60 votes to break a filibuster, and Senate Republicans currently hold a slim majority of 51 votes, meaning even if they can unite their members, they need nine more votes to end debate. The White House is calling for the Senate to change its rules and move the threshold to a simple majority of 51 votes.
                                Yeppers, still delusional.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment