Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cape Town to run out of water soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Town to run out of water soon

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/...119-story.html

South Africa’s second-largest city is facing its worst drought in a century, with its water supply expected to run dry April 21.

They’re calling it “Day Zero.” In this city of 4 million, people will have to line up in the streets at just 200 water stations. The police and army will enforce a limit of 6.6 gallons per person and adopt measures to control crowds. Some experts believe evacuations will be necessary.

If the city runs out of water, it will be the first major city in a developed country to do so.
    Let's face it, it's not a developed country anymore. The multiculturalists and anti-racists got their way, so it's now descending back into third world status. This is the long term fate of all Western countries, South Africa just happens to be the canary in the coal mine because their level of savages* saturation was already at near maximum levels before Progress took over.

*actually I'm not even sure you can blame the savages for this one, sure a Zulu tribesman can't run a modern city but they also can't read Das Kapital or spend 20 thousand dollars to take Gender Studies classes in University so in the end it probably balances out.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

How is politics causing a drought?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      How is politics causing a drought?
      "The problem boils down to sharp population growth and a failure to plan alternative water sources to augment the reservoirs behind six dams, some of which are rapidly dwindling to arid sandy stretches."

"But the water crisis here has been worsened by government planning failures and buck passing between the national and city governments."

"The national government is responsible for building water infrastructure, and municipalities distribute water. But part of the problem is political. The opposition Democratic Alliance won control of the city in 2006 and the province in 2009.

Western Cape Premier Helen Zille and provincial authorities have accused the national African National Congress government of failing to build and maintain new infrastructure and send adequate emergency drought relief. It was not until August that the national government allocated the city $1.5 million to deal with the crisis."

Actually about half the article is about politics.

Also, this is coming to california sooner or later. Large surface area covered by invasive Mexican biomass well beyond what it can support + dumbass liberals in charge = ecological disaster.
      Last edited by Darth Executor; 01-22-2018, 08:36 AM.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

A decade or so ago there were towns in Virginia trucking in water due to a prolonged drought.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          A decade or so ago there were towns in Virginia trucking in water due to a prolonged drought.
          "If the city runs out of water, it will be the first major city in a developed country to do so."

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            "If the city runs out of water, it will be the first major city in a developed country to do so."
            Same problem - the difference is merely one of scale. It doesn't mean the developed country is regressing to Third World status. The city might be - but so is Detroit.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Same problem - the difference is merely one of scale.
              The increase in complexity and magnitude when it comes to planning a city relative to its scale is exponential, not linear. It's much harder to plan and maintain a large city than it is to do the same for a bunch of smaller, scattered towns. It's why large cities are associated with prosperity and civilization. If it was the other way around large cities would have been the historical norm.

It doesn't mean the developed country is regressing to Third World status. The city might be - but so is Detroit.
              And so is the US, in the long term. The response to the annihilation of a previously functional city seems to be to move away and pretend nothing happened.

Comment

The distinct lack of rain in the region, meaning that the dams can't fill have more than a little to do with it.

Yes the ANC consists mostly of despicable scum who belong in jail whose incompetence knows no bounds. But they are hardly responsible for the weather (a distinct lack of planning definitely, the weather no)

Here are some photos my niece took of the water distribution stations that have been set up (each person is allowed one bucket. 200 collection sites, expecting 20,000 people per site per day)
                WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.09.53 AM.jpeg
                WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.09.55 AM.jpeg
                WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.09.58 AM.jpeg
                WhatsApp Image 2018-01-11 at 9.09.59 AM.jpeg
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Same problem - the difference is merely one of scale. It doesn't mean the developed country is regressing to Third World status. The city might be - but so is Detroit.
                  Detroit is actually on the upswing right now.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Is DE being a racist troll again? Is the ocean close by? Too bad no one in power had the foresight to set up desalination plants if that's the case.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Is DE being a racist troll again? Is the ocean close by? Too bad no one in power had the foresight to set up desalination plants if that's the case.
                      lol this dunce, who can't google a map, would run cape town better than its current government

Comment

lol this dunce, who can't google a map, would run cape town better than its current government
                        I looked it up after I posted, goofus! And apparently the coast has a sewage problem. Humans are stupid! I'll just say all humans are stupid. That can't be racist or sexist, cause everyone is human! Unless there's other sapient beings that aren't humans. Hmmm, well, I ought to say all humans are stupid except for Jesus of Nazareth. He ain't stupid. And just because I fail at geography, doesn't mean I would be able to run a city. I'm just not good at geography.
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The increase in complexity and magnitude when it comes to planning a city relative to its scale is exponential, not linear. It's much harder to plan and maintain a large city than it is to do the same for a bunch of smaller, scattered towns.
                          So the bunch of smaller, scattered towns have even less excuse, since it should be easier for them.
                          And so is the US, in the long term. The response to the annihilation of a previously functional city seems to be to move away and pretend nothing happened.
                          So is every civilization, in the long term. Way to vitiate your own arguments.

sigpic

Comment

So the bunch of smaller, scattered towns have even less excuse, since it should be easier for them.
                            Yes, it is easier, if they run out of water it's easy to ship in. Unlike a city, which requires planning to survive and for which just shipping in water perpetually isn't feasible.

So your comment that they have less excuse is straight out of bizarro world.

So is every civilization, in the long term. Way to vitiate your own arguments.
                            My argument is that fetishizing savagery (one of the key traits of the left) is a civilization destroyer. I'm not sure how I "vitiate" my own arguments, given that the US has been trending increasingly leftwards. America and the rest of the west can either start genuinely valuing civilization again or they will collapse.

Comment

The reality is that they knew 27 years ago that this was going to happen.

I have a copy of a 1990 clipping from the Cape Times predicting it would be 17 years before CT ran out of water, they managed 10 more years than initially predicted. But they needed to be building the desalination plants and other options to prevent what is now happening 10 years ago, not scrambling right now.
                              But the ANC (who have been the ruling party since the fall of Apartheid) and the Democratic Alliance (the political party in charge of the Western Cape and Cape Town) have been too busy fighting over who should be doing it than actually getting on and doing it (for the record the DA is generally better at things, the DA just won Gauteng off the ANC in the last local govt elections and the result is they have turned it around with the first surplus in about 30 years).
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment